Re: Conservative Party: Big Brother on the Internet!

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Conservative Party: Big Brother on the Internet!

Post by NAB »

As much as I acknowledge the many positives of the internet, IMO it has its misleading, very ugly (and dangerous), sides too. Thus I am of the view that some significantly enhanced means of policing it must be put in place, .....so have no problem with this proposed legislation. To leave it as a "free for all" is to me uncivilized, and a line must be drawn - the sooner the better.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
User avatar
nolanrh
Übergod
Posts: 1575
Joined: Feb 8th, 2007, 9:13 am

Re: Conservative Party: Big Brother on the Internet!!

Post by nolanrh »

That free-for-all has given rise to an incredible amount of technical innovation Nab. There is no reason the same objectives can't be accomplished with court oversight.
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Conservative Party: Big Brother on the Internet!!

Post by NAB »

nolanrh wrote:That free-for-all has given rise to an incredible amount of technical innovation Nab. There is no reason the same objectives can't be accomplished with court oversight.


No question of that nolan. But I do question how effective court oversight can be with a medium (and potential crime arena) that has no physical boundaries or jurisdictional borders.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
User avatar
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2733
Joined: Jun 19th, 2005, 11:49 pm

Re: Conservative Party: Big Brother on the Internet!!

Post by rekabis »

Nab, how would you feel if police came to your door and arrested you because you were talking about standing up for your rights? (in some places this is called “civil disobedience”) This is the slope down which this kind of legislation leads. China has it. Iran has it. Now Canada may have it as well.

Unlike the meatworld, where you don’t really have a choice (you cannot disconnect from the meatworld unless it’s a permanent disconnection), the Internet has a simple philosophy… if you don’t like the scenery, you don’t have to visit.

We can innovate to our heart’s content without you and your need for control. I would rather live with an Internet that is wild and free, than civilized and sterile. IMHO if the latter occurs you might as well turn the power off, because the Internet will cease to have any meaning or purpose.

Besides, I am (personally) in full support of extending Mail (snail mail) laws to the Internet… the government cannot open regular mail without a court order, so why should they be able to snoop in on my Internet communication without the same? Intruding in on my Internet communication is just as much a violation of my rights as opening my letters is.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
User avatar
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3922
Joined: Nov 8th, 2007, 8:16 pm

Re: Conservative Party: Big Brother on the Internet!!

Post by grumpydigger »

So the conservative party, if reelected wants to be the thought police on the Internet. telling people what they can cannot see. what news and information is good for them........and perhaps the Harper government :eyeballspin:

Just like kicking people out of a conservative rally because they're members of the liberal Facebook page...using the RCMP as his paid thugs.

No parliamentary debate, or consultation with the other parties. God help us all if this man ever gets a majority :purefury:
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Conservative Party: Big Brother on the Internet!!

Post by NAB »

Gawd, paranoid much Rek? In danger of going the way of China or Iran indeed. LOL

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
User avatar
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3922
Joined: Nov 8th, 2007, 8:16 pm

Re: Conservative Party: Big Brother on the Internet!!

Post by grumpydigger »

NAB wrote:Gawd, paranoid much Rek? In danger of going the way of China or Iran indeed. LOL

Nab
It may sound funny,But how do you think things like this get started.

Contempt of Parliament,Changing the name of the Canadian government To the Harper government :200:

I think we got our right, to be paranoid :purefury:
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Conservative Party: Big Brother on the Internet!!

Post by NAB »

grumpydigger wrote:
NAB wrote:Gawd, paranoid much Rek? In danger of going the way of China or Iran indeed. LOL

Nab
It may sound funny,But how do you think things like this get started.

Contempt of Parliament,Changing the name of the Canadian government To the Harper government :200:

I think we got our right, to be paranoid :purefury:


Fear mongering simply for political impact doesn't make it true grumpy. But I choose not to live in paranoia and fear. If you like to then that is your choice.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
I Think
Guru
Posts: 9499
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: Conservative Party: Big Brother on the Internet!!

Post by I Think »

harper has been under fire after two university students were ejected by organizers from a Conservative rally earlier this week in London Ont. One of the students, 19-year-old Awish Aslam, said she was shown the door over a photo on her Facebook account showing her with Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff.

Bruce Carson, a close adviser to the prime minister, was given a secret security clearance despite his fraud convictions.
“This is a prime minister who talks tough on crime everywhere but in his own office.

OTTAWA — The RCMP admitted Wednesday it helped Conservative party organizers remove unregistered participants a rally in southwestern Ontario.

harpers government was in contempt of parliament.

Some folks just look the other way as harper erodes the freedoms we enjoy, in his quest to Americanize Canada's health care and prisons.
Problem with being stupid is, you don't know you're stupid
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Conservative Party: Big Brother on the Internet!!

Post by NAB »

Old news nibs LOL. Lets move on to something more important, like REAL issues.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
User avatar
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2733
Joined: Jun 19th, 2005, 11:49 pm

Re: Conservative Party: Big Brother on the Internet!!

Post by rekabis »

NAB wrote:Old news nibs LOL. Lets move on to something more important, like REAL issues.

Nab


This is very much of a real issue to me, Nab. I do most of my work on the Internet, and I rely on the Internet’s “wild ways” in order to maintain my privacy and promote forms of Democracy that many elected officials might have big issues with. Such as freedom of speech and outright minarchism (which deeply threatens their power base).

Without a “free and wild” Internet, we are all greatly diminished.

Edited to add: My 2000th post… woot! Just noticed it change!
Last edited by rekabis on Apr 10th, 2011, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
User avatar
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 24998
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2008, 5:06 pm

Re: Conservative Party: Big Brother on the Internet!!

Post by Captain Awesome »

Yes, but with big brother controlling everything 4chan would never exist. And that's a good thing.
'
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Conservative Party: Big Brother on the Internet!!

Post by steven lloyd »

NAB wrote:As much as I acknowledge the many positives of the internet, IMO it has its misleading, very ugly (and dangerous), sides too. Thus I am of the view that some significantly enhanced means of policing it must be put in place, .....so have no problem with this proposed legislation. To leave it as a "free for all" is to me uncivilized, and a line must be drawn - the sooner the better. Nab

For one very singular reason I’ve been fully prepared to vote Conservative in this next election. This is getting to be quite concerning though. I can live with stiffened security measures at airports, etc., and could even accept ideologically driven agendas to “get tough on crime” hoping that some sense would prevail after a prudent review of actual evidence from the research. But when we start to talk about policing the internet most sane people should be very concerned.

Obviously, the internet has “its misleading, very ugly (and dangerous), sides”, but apart from the CTers and the downright ignorant among us, most of us can discern fact from fiction. Certainly we witness the wackadoodles on this board ignoring credible sources and quoting extremist blogs, but perhaps we should just simply appreciate the special time they have set aside to humiliate themselves on a public forum. I know I am not too worried they are going to sway popular opinion. While the majority of voters might not be able to engage in actual critical thought, stupid is usually pretty easy to recognize. I would much rather be able to read and laugh at their pontificating than think I couldn’t even have that chance because it was censored. For me that is much more scary.
User avatar
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2733
Joined: Jun 19th, 2005, 11:49 pm

Re: Conservative Party: Big Brother on the Internet!!

Post by rekabis »

steven lloyd wrote:For one very singular reason I’ve been fully prepared to vote Conservative in this next election.

Is that a private reason, or would you care to enlighten us? Frankly I can’t understand why *anyone* would want to vote Conservative. And the Libs have Michæl Ignatieff, which is a good enough reason all by itself to eschew them as well…

Never thought I’d say this, but without a Libertarian or Pirate Party rep in Kelowna-Lake Country, I’ll probably be voting for Jack Layton’s NDP. Let’s hope they’ve changed their stripes since the 1980’s…
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
User avatar
xlauvawke
Board Meister
Posts: 589
Joined: May 1st, 2007, 9:29 am

Re: Conservative Party: Big Brother on the Internet!!

Post by xlauvawke »

Captain Awesome wrote:Yes, but with big brother controlling everything 4chan would never exist. And that's a good thing.
'


i disagree.
My name is John, my opinion is my own and no other.

Return to “Federal Election 2011”