The Results .......

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
User avatar
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm
Posts: 20787
Joined: Aug 2nd, 2005, 3:51 pm

Re: The Results .......

Post by Lady tehMa »

And done. Now we can put on our big boy/big girl pants, suck it up and deal with what the people have chosen. Good riddance and may the next election come when it is supposed to.

It is not so much politics I dislike as what it does to people.
I haven't failed until I quit.
User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
Posts: 28548
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Re: The Results .......

Post by grammafreddy »

Harper will now speak ...
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
User avatar
acidrain
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 895
Joined: Jan 30th, 2006, 3:29 pm

Re: The Results .......

Post by acidrain »

A monumental day for Canada.

Glad to finally see the BQ nearly eliminated. They have been a thorn in the side of progressives for nearly 2 decades. Hopefully separtism does not make a comeback by the next election. Quebec politics will be very interesting to watch in the next few years to see what happens.

I'm feeling pretty numb right now trying to digest what this all means to Canadians. The Liberal Party has imploded in a way that is just shocking. If the Conservatives pass legislation wiping out the voter subsidy (which is expected) that would really put a nail in the coffin for the Liberal Party.

I am really nervous going forward to know what Stephen Harper has in store for our country. We'll see if he's serious about Senate Reform among other issues. I shudder at the thought of any political party having a majority after seeing all the scandals that came out of the Chretien years. The big question that will be asked is whether Harper's personal views on social issues will translate into any policy changes in the coming years.

The rise of the NDP has really come out of nowhere. They should make politics in Canada very interesting as I do think they will challenge the Conservatives in a way the Liberals cannot. More women and younger MP's are expected to be added to Parliament which is positive for the country. It's been many years that voters have proudly worn the colors of the NDP and stood behind the party. The next few years will be interesting to see if there is an increased momentum for the NDP after the election federally or whether it is short lived.

Congrats to Elizabeth May for winning a seat for the Greens. But one cannot deny the fact another political party is added to the mix. I do not see this as being a good thing overall for the left to centre movement as there was a lot of vote splitting by the NDP/Libs/Greens.

Harper did what he needed to in order to live to see another day as Prime Minister. This win is huge for him as if he would've gotten another minority there would be a lot of pressure for him to step aside. He has good advisors and people working on his team because I don't think anyone believed we'd see this day even 5 years ago.

On a separate note I can't believe how old Harper's kids are now.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 12496
Joined: Mar 19th, 2005, 12:06 pm

Re: The Results .......

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

grumpydigger wrote:Harper had total disdain for parliament and the people of Canada when he had a minority government.

And the people are stupid enough to reelect him with the majority.

I got the same cold shiver down my back when the American people were stupid enough to reelect Bush...


Or perhaps the electorate was simply intelligent enough to anticipate what the alternatives would imply unlike you.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: The Results .......

Post by NAB »

It would appear that the Federal Liberals in BC have been reduced to one solitary seat, and the Conservatives have lost only one. The NDP and Elizabeth May of course are the primary beneficiaries of that result.

I am of the opinion that the BC Liberal Government under Christy Clark better sit up and take notice. Their hero's on the federal scene are no more.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22776
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Re: The Results .......

Post by Urbane »

A few thoughts . . .

The pollsters had better re-tool for the next election or give up. While they picked up some general trends only one pollster (Compass) predicted a Conservative majority. Harris-Decima at least allowed for that possibly but Ekos Pollster Frank Graves yesterday said that a Conservative majority was absolutely off the table. No chance, no way, not going to happen.

I'm pleased that we will have four years without another federal election and we will see what Prime Minister Harper can do during that time. I think he will govern from the centre in terms of social policy and if he governs as something of a fiscal conservative I will be happy.

Good riddance to Duceppe and most of the BQ caucus. The demise of the Bloc in Quebec might be the single best thing that happened tonight and for Duceppe to lose his own seat makes it all the better.

I am surprised that Ignatieff, on a night when the Liberal Party sank to an historic low in vote percentage and seats and on a night when he lost his own seat, would announce that he planned to stay on as leader. He will not be leader of the Liberal Party come the next election. I'm not sure if he realizes that yet but he will soon.

As one who is libertarian (or whatever term you want to use) on the social issues and conservative on the spending issues I am delighted with the result. I'm convinced that Harper will not open any cans of worms with the social issues and I think he will at least try to get and keep our spending under control. I think there is the likelihood that he will be an even better majority prime minister than a minority one.
User avatar
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3922
Joined: Nov 8th, 2007, 8:16 pm

Re: The Results .......

Post by grumpydigger »

If you people think Campbell Was a self-centered arrogant dictator that BC Was lucky to get rid of.

Harper Will be twice as bad .

The only Prime Minister to be held in contempt of Parliament and the people are stupid enough to elect him with a majority government :purefury:
User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
Posts: 28548
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Re: The Results .......

Post by grammafreddy »

NAB wrote:It would appear that the Federal Liberals in BC have been reduced to one solitary seat, and the Conservatives have lost only one. The NDP and Elizabeth May of course are the primary beneficiaries of that result.

I am of the opinion that the BC Liberal Government under Christy Clark better sit up and take notice. Their hero's on the federal scene are no more.

Nab


It will certainly be (or should be) a wake-up call for Christy and her Liberals as she is very closely aligned with the federal Liberals. We could see an NDP sweep in BC in the next provincial election. :127: I don't like the Liberals or the NDP ... c'mon BC Conservatives - git yer act together!!!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22776
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Re: The Results .......

Post by Urbane »

    grumpydigger wrote:If you people think Campbell Was a self-centered arrogant dictator that BC Was lucky to get rid of.

    Harper Will be twice as bad .

    The only Prime Minister to be held in contempt of Parliament and the people are stupid enough to elect him with a majority government :purefury:
Did you happen to see the election results tonight? Most of the MP's who voted to hold Harper's government in contempt were defeated and Harper won a majority government. I thought his speech was conciliatory and prime ministerial so I look forward to the next four years . . . election free at least at the federal level. Hallelujah!
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: The Results .......

Post by NAB »

grumpydigger wrote:If you people think Campbell Was a self-centered arrogant dictator that BC Was lucky to get rid of.

Harper Will be twice as bad .

The only Prime Minister to be held in contempt of Parliament and the people are stupid enough to elect him with a majority government :purefury:


Live with it grumpy. You really don't have any choice any more. The "people" are obviously not as stupid as you seem to think they are.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Ironfist
Newbie
Posts: 61
Joined: Jan 19th, 2009, 11:02 pm

Re: The Results .......

Post by Ironfist »

No one should "live with it", if people don't like it, do something to change it. Also, in my opinion, this election just reaffirms the need for electoral reform - 40% of popular vote = majority gov't., that is garbage. Surely we can do better. I fully understand the negative aspects of proportional representation, but it is the only way that everyone's vote truly matters.
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: The Results .......

Post by NAB »

"The Liberals also lost in Ajax-Pickering, where Conservative Chris Alexander unseated incumbent Mark Holland."

Damn, there is a God LOL. The *bleep* is gone!

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: The Results .......

Post by NAB »

Ironfist wrote:No one should "live with it", if people don't like it, do something to change it. Also, in my opinion, this election just reaffirms the need for electoral reform - 40% of popular vote = majority gov't., that is garbage. Surely we can do better. I fully understand the negative aspects of proportional representation, but it is the only way that everyone's vote truly matters.


Live with it LOL. It's the only (and best) game in town. Spend your time contributing to the best decisions under the existing system, instead of wasting it trying to change the system.

Nab
Last edited by NAB on May 2nd, 2011, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Carmencat
Übergod
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mar 13th, 2008, 11:14 am

Re: The Results .......

Post by Carmencat »

Urbane wrote:A few thoughts . . .

The pollsters had better re-tool for the next election or give up. While they picked up some general trends only one pollster (Compass) predicted a Conservative majority. Harris-Decima at least allowed for that possibly but Ekos Pollster Frank Graves yesterday said that a Conservative majority was absolutely off the table. No chance, no way, not going to happen.

I'm pleased that we will have four years without another federal election and we will see what Prime Minister Harper can do during that time. I think he will govern from the centre in terms of social policy and if he governs as something of a fiscal conservative I will be happy.

Good riddance to Duceppe and most of the BQ caucus. The demise of the Bloc in Quebec might be the single best thing that happened tonight and for Duceppe to lose his own seat makes it all the better.

I am surprised that Ignatieff, on a night when the Liberal Party sank to an historic low in vote percentage and seats and on a night when he lost his own seat, would announce that he planned to stay on as leader. He will not be leader of the Liberal Party come the next election. I'm not sure if he realizes that yet but he will soon.

As one who is libertarian (or whatever term you want to use) on the social issues and conservative on the spending issues I am delighted with the result. I'm convinced that Harper will not open any cans of worms with the social issues and I think he will at least try to get and keep our spending under control. I think there is the likelihood that he will be an even better majority prime minister than a minority one.


I totally agree with all your points, Urbane. I might add that I am willing to bet that the Liberals will turf Iggy in favour of Justin Trudeau as their leader. They need to do something drastic to shake up the party, and I can totally see them trying to reignite Trudeaumania and the youth vote.
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: The Results .......

Post by NAB »

Justin Trudeau??? Gimme a break LOL. That's the last thing the Liberals need to do if they are to survive.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu

Return to “Federal Election 2011”