Bye bye Bloc

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
User avatar
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10410
Joined: Aug 12th, 2006, 8:55 am

Re: BYE BYE BLOC

Post by Smurf »

Good riddance, don't slam the door on the way out. And definately don't come back. Hopefully not a member next time around.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Cumungala
Übergod
Posts: 1327
Joined: Jan 31st, 2009, 5:40 pm

Re: Bye bye Bloc

Post by Cumungala »

From now on they should be known as the Blok Kabeckwa.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: BYE BYE BLOC

Post by steven lloyd »

Corneliousrooster wrote:If liberals are to be considered "center" and someone wants to reject the party there are only 2 directions they can go. More evidently went to the NDP than the cons so now the NDP are to be thanked for the end of the bloc???? How about thanking the liberals for being so brutally pathetic within their own platform (that is where the real credit is due)

How about we thank them both. The NDP obviously did a good job of selling themselves and their vision in Quebec. On the other hand, I am in complete agreement with you that the Liberals completely lacked any credibility in both leadership and platform. At the end of the day we have a stable government for four years with a strong opposition and both the Liberals and the Bloc have been decimated. The outcome of this election will never satisify everyone, and even after voting Conservative and hoping for a majority I still realize there are things to be concerned about (like where Mr. Harper will go on his “get tough on crime” agenda). Still, given the circumstances and the choices available I believe this was the best possible outcome and better than many people expected or hoped for.
User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
Posts: 28548
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Re: BYE BYE BLOC

Post by grammafreddy »

Corneliousrooster wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:Ahhhh ........ gotta love democracy, eh? You wanna be the one to tell me I can't vote? I double dog dare ya!!!!


I didn't tell anyone not to do anything - but if you are putting your principles on the backburner to vote for something you don't really believe in to try to stop something you believe even less in it shows a lack of personal character that I believe is a huge part of the problem with Canadian politics. This is MY opinion. No need to read too deeply into my opinion, especially to the point of me "dictating" how people should vote.

My whole point was that "vote splitting" seems to give people the impression that "credit"/"blame" must be doled out as some sort of explanation as to the outcome.

If liberals are to be considered "center" and someone wants to reject the party there are only 2 directions they can go. More evidently went to the NDP than the cons so now the NDP are to be thanked for the end of the bloc???? How about thanking the liberals for being so brutally pathetic within their own platform (that is where the real credit is due)


And my point was that the people of Canada have the right to vote in any way, shape or form they wish and there's not one among us that should tell any other one that they can't exercise that right to vote in any particular way - even if they don't like the way anyone votes or the outcomes of an election.

I understand yer ticked and you see problems and issues and concerns - and those are valid with any vote for any politician or political party - but please, never say somebody should not vote. That is NOT what Canada is about.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
twobits
Guru
Posts: 7632
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am

Re: Bye bye Bloc

Post by twobits »

I would temper the celebration of the bloc's demise. Might I suggest that rather than disappear they have mearly changed colour. How's this senario? Fast forward 4 years and after copious house sessions of polarized politics the electorate becomes disenchanted once again. The libs meanwhile have not disappeared and in election 2015 we have a repeat of vote splitting only this time bleeding from the cons to the libs vaulting the NDP to the top spot. Now you have an orange "Bloc" legitimized by being a natioanal party. I shudder to think what will follow constitonally and we may all reflect back on the Bloc's brilliant strategy in 2011.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
User avatar
Tacklewasher
Übergod
Posts: 1374
Joined: Jul 9th, 2008, 6:45 am

Re: Bye bye Bloc

Post by Tacklewasher »

twobits wrote:I would temper the celebration of the bloc's demise. Might I suggest that rather than disappear they have mearly changed colour. How's this senario? Fast forward 4 years and after copious house sessions of polarized politics the electorate becomes disenchanted once again. The libs meanwhile have not disappeared and in election 2015 we have a repeat of vote splitting only this time bleeding from the cons to the libs vaulting the NDP to the top spot. Now you have an orange "Bloc" legitimized by being a natioanal party. I shudder to think what will follow constitonally and we may all reflect back on the Bloc's brilliant strategy in 2011.


Don't see it happening. The NDP have a real problem now and I don't think they are up to the challenge. Layton will have to actually present realistic options (something he has never had to do in the past) as well as keeping the greenest of MP's in check. I really see the next couple of months as being fun times for the NDP in Quebec, enough so that there will be a huge change next election in Quebec. Just not sure who is going to pick up the pieces there.
Al Czervic
Guru
Posts: 7805
Joined: Nov 29th, 2004, 10:30 pm

Re: Bye bye Bloc

Post by Al Czervic »

Tacklewasher wrote:[ Layton will have to actually present realistic options (something he has never had to do in the past)



Why would he ? Jack Layton has NEVER been required to present anything realistic in his entire career, why would he start now? The reality is most NDP’ers vote NDP simply because the NDP routinely promises things that go against reality. Don’t get me wrong, I believe Layton will be a very effective leader of the opposition precisely because unlike Iggy (who DID care about presently realistic options), Layton could care less. He is also a gifted snakeoil salesman who can make people believe that you really can spend $ 70 BILLION without raising taxes and living expenses of Joe Public.
Back with a vengeance
User avatar
Tacklewasher
Übergod
Posts: 1374
Joined: Jul 9th, 2008, 6:45 am

Re: Bye bye Bloc

Post by Tacklewasher »

Al Czervic wrote:
Tacklewasher wrote:[ Layton will have to actually present realistic options (something he has never had to do in the past)



Why would he ? Jack Layton has NEVER been required to present anything realistic in his entire career, why would he start now? The reality is most NDP’ers vote NDP simply because the NDP routinely promises things that go against reality. Don’t get me wrong, I believe Layton will be a very effective leader of the opposition precisely because unlike Iggy (who DID care about presently realistic options), Layton could care less. He is also a gifted snakeoil salesman who can make people believe that you really can spend $ 70 BILLION without raising taxes and living expenses of Joe Public.


But you agree with my point that he will never become PM.
Al Czervic
Guru
Posts: 7805
Joined: Nov 29th, 2004, 10:30 pm

Re: Bye bye Bloc

Post by Al Czervic »

Tacklewasher wrote:
Al Czervic wrote:
Tacklewasher wrote:[ Layton will have to actually present realistic options (something he has never had to do in the past)



Why would he ? Jack Layton has NEVER been required to present anything realistic in his entire career, why would he start now? The reality is most NDP’ers vote NDP simply because the NDP routinely promises things that go against reality. Don’t get me wrong, I believe Layton will be a very effective leader of the opposition precisely because unlike Iggy (who DID care about presently realistic options), Layton could care less. He is also a gifted snakeoil salesman who can make people believe that you really can spend $ 70 BILLION without raising taxes and living expenses of Joe Public.


But you agree with my point that he will never become PM.



I do. Big time. I would not even be surprised if he retires before the next election......
Back with a vengeance
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Bye bye Bloc

Post by NAB »

I agree. The best time to retire is when you reach the top I would think. History will treat Layton very well if he does before the next election, and the sooner the better for him.

Thomas Mulcair and Libby Davies are sitting in the wings awaiting their shot at the top job. When contemplating the next possible step for the Federal NDP, it will probably be one of those two that people will be deciding whether they would like to see him/her in the PMO or not.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Al Czervic
Guru
Posts: 7805
Joined: Nov 29th, 2004, 10:30 pm

Re: Bye bye Bloc

Post by Al Czervic »

NAB wrote:I agree. The best time to retire is when you reach the top I would think. History will treat Layton very well if he does before the next election, and the sooner the better for him.

Thomas Mulcair and Libby Davies are sitting in the wings awaiting their shot at the top job. When contemplating the next possible step for the Federal NDP, it will probably be one of those two that people will be deciding whether they would like to see him/her in the PMO or not.

Nab



I agree. Smart Politicians know when to get out of the game…stubborn one’s always wait around to the bitter end. Layton is a very smart politician so it would not surprise me one iota if he announced his retirement before the next election. And really who could blame him after a few years of babysitting a bunch of new Quebec kids turned NDP MP’s….
Back with a vengeance
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22696
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Re: Bye bye Bloc

Post by Urbane »

And what will those four Bloc members who were elected do for the next four years? Might they want to join the NDP? Would the NDP allow them to do that? Will they just be happy as part of a very small rump party? Any educated guesses?
Al Czervic
Guru
Posts: 7805
Joined: Nov 29th, 2004, 10:30 pm

Re: Bye bye Bloc

Post by Al Czervic »

Urbane wrote:And what will those four Bloc members who were elected do for the next four years? Might they want to join the NDP? Would the NDP allow them to do that? Will they just be happy as part of a very small rump party? Any educated guesses?



They will continue to collect their nearly $ 170K a year base salary and hang around to help pad their million dollar gold plated pensions, all paid for by the very people they want to divorce in the breakup of Canada. Pretty normal stuff for a bloc MP. ….
Back with a vengeance
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Bye bye Bloc

Post by NAB »

They would get those things anyway, no? And since the Bloc no longer qualifies for official party status, it just makes sense they might want to cross the floor to the NDP (with their constituents association blessing first of course).

Edit to add; I wonder if there are any Liberal MP's thinking similarly.....

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Cumungala
Übergod
Posts: 1327
Joined: Jan 31st, 2009, 5:40 pm

Re: Bye bye Bloc

Post by Cumungala »

Whats the difference between a car and the Bloc Quebecois?

A car has more seats.

Return to “Federal Election 2011”