A Ho! Hum! Election Campaign

Local election discussion.
inquisitive
Fledgling

A Ho! Hum! Election Campaign

Post by inquisitive »

A flurry of posters stuck in the ground have taken the place of intelligent discourse to date, one could very well say. Who wins? Well, probably the print shops, certainly not the electors, who, one could suggest, are expected to vote for the contender who outnumbered/crowded out, the competition's posters.
How many door-knockers have you encountered? Face to face discourse with contenders is a rare commodity these days. Lop-sided reporting of view-points printed in the media isn't enough to sway a voter in any direction - or is it ?- because the new faces hoping for a fresh seat remain relatively unknown.
This observer does have an opinion on the incumbents, though, based upon observation over the last four years conduct of Ho! Hum! district business.
One can only speculate that the professional staff that runs our day to day district business is the entity that need kudos from us, on whose behalf they toil, because we have to acknowledge a seemless and businesslike operation, where sound advice has probably made our councillors and mayor feel like heroes and worthy of another term in office? The council takes on the public face that staff are not permitted.
And as a result of observations stated here, the incumbents to a large extent, having had four years in which to gain our admiration via outstanding performance in and out of council chambers, have remained as lack-lustre performers, achieving from time to time only a motherhood statement, or an echo of another councillor's repeated words, in the printed media.
Therefore one can only speculate that our beautiful but under-performing District of West Kelowna will be saddled with another three years of Ho! Hum! executive doldrums.
Fifty years to beautify our waterfront? Ha! Ha!
Voter apathy and lack of interest in our civic affairs are likely being counted on by the incumbents. Isn't that the truth?
parachute
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: A Ho! Hum! Election Campaign

Post by parachute »

Hello inquisitive,

I agree with your analysis but I disagree with the title of your thread.

I think it should read: A Ho (yawn), Hum (yawn), Election Campaign?
F1B

Post by F1B »

I agree it is a rather boring election so far. With the exception of Rosalind Neis coming to our door and candidate Rick de Jong we have seen no other in our area. I have also heard from friends that the only person they have seen in Rick de Jong in Rose Valley and in Lake view. Other than that dead quiet, very very quiet.
daveswife

Post by daveswife »

I live in Glenrosa & would love to chat with any of the candidates if they knocked on my door but nothing. Still not decided how who is getting my vote.
bbmyster_1
Fledgling

Post by bbmyster_1 »

I have !!......Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !!!!! :dyinglaughing:
VoteRandall

Post by VoteRandall »

I've been out knocking doors! Sorry I haven't gotten to any of you yet. Lots of ground to cover. I've also put up a comments tool on my website and invited conversation many times in the forums and via my website. Please do send me your questions and/or concerns. I'll even make a special trip to your neighborhood if you let me know where about you're located.

Please visit my website at: http://www.randallrobinson.ca or send me an email at [email protected]

I'll answer all contacts as quickly as possible. I hope to land on your doorstep over the next couple weeks but don't hesitate to reach out.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Randall, I have a question: Given the abuse the our elected leaders have at all levels of government are you sure you want to win? I'm seriously considering voting for you but you seem like a nice guy and I'm not sure I'd be doing you a favour. My question is only partly tongue-in-cheek because I really do wonder.
mhumber

Post by mhumber »

For those that are interested the Westbank and District Chamber of Commerce is hosting an all candidates meeting on November 9th at 6.00pm at the Lions Hall
VoteRandall

Post by VoteRandall »

Urbane wrote:Randall, I have a question: Given the abuse the our elected leaders have at all levels of government are you sure you want to win? I'm seriously considering voting for you but you seem like a nice guy and I'm not sure I'd be doing you a favour. My question is only partly tongue-in-cheek because I really do wonder.

Thanks Urbane. You know, I've been asked many times why I chose to run for council and my standard "schtick" answer is "because I have no enemies and feel it's time to get some". It always gets a chuckle but I am learning that it may not be that much of a stretch.

All I can say is that I'm up for the challenge and truly hope that I am still this enthusiastic in 3 years.

Cheers!
Randall

Return to “Civic Election 2011”