Clarity On "Off Topic"

Comments about the discussion board. Site-related comments should be addressed to the applicable department through the Contact Us form.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Clarity On "Off Topic"

Post by Dizzy1 »

I'd like a little insight on this please.

I had a post removed because it was apparently "off topic" and according to the mod I PMed about it, because it was "derailing" the thread (even though no one responded to the post let alone started a discussion about it).

The post in question was a simple spelling correction in regards to the same spelling mistakes by 3 other posters in the thread. It was nothing negative, no rude comments, just a simple "hey, its actually spelt this way". I should also note, that the word in question is also a name, and not just a small grammar mistake, not that that really makes that much of a difference.

Now, those of us who have been on these boards for awhile have seen multitudes of similar posts over the years and have made such posts ourselves and I for one, have never seen one removed nor have I ever had one of mine removed.

I've contacted the mod, and to be honest, I'm not satisfied with their reasoning, especially given the fact that I've never seen this happen before, so I decided to start this post in the hopes that not just I, but all of us can get some clarity on this.

So, is pointing out the incorrect spelling of a name now considered "off topic"?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
ValB58
Banned

Re: Clarity On "Off Topic"

Post by ValB58 »

Dizzy1 wrote:I'd like a little insight on this please.

I had a post removed because it was apparently "off topic" and according to the mod I PMed about it, because it was "derailing" the thread (even though no one responded to the post let alone started a discussion about it).

The post in question was a simple spelling correction in regards to the same spelling mistakes by 3 other posters in the thread. It was nothing negative, no rude comments, just a simple "hey, its actually spelt this way". I should also note, that the word in question is also a name, and not just a small grammar mistake, not that that really makes that much of a difference.

Now, those of us who have been on these boards for awhile have seen multitudes of similar posts over the years and have made such posts ourselves and I for one, have never seen one removed nor have I ever had one of mine removed.

I've contacted the mod, and to be honest, I'm not satisfied with their reasoning, especially given the fact that I've never seen this happen before, so I decided to start this post in the hopes that not just I, but all of us can get some clarity on this.

So, is pointing out the incorrect spelling of a name now considered "off topic"?

If I may answer this for you, Spelling mistakes of poster's names are not allowed if they are derogatory or insulting. I have received the same warnings myself.
Best to just "get along", and if your nemesis is to ever misspell your name, REPORT THEM immediately!
PM me for further info.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

No, it wasn't a misspelling of a users name or anything remotely close to that or even in the direction of anything meant to be insulting.

As an example, being the airplane geek I am, many people constantly spell "Qantas" with a "u" - "Quantas". That's the direction my correction was made at.

I was told by the mod to PM the individual next time, which to be honest, am not going to start PMing a bunch of people making the same mistake ... I don't see how a simple post is a problem.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

If a thread is about, say, apples - then correcting people's spelling is off-topic. It is only on topic if the thread is about spelling. See?

People do NOT appreciate having their spelling corrected. It is rude to do so. It is always off-topic.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Jo wrote:People do NOT appreciate having their spelling corrected. It is rude to do so. It is always off-topic.

Personally, I do, though PM is probably the best way to do that. Sorry, I'm off topic.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Yep, it is still off-topic to correct people's grammatical or spelling errors.

So, the choice is to a) ignore it or b) PM the person.

The vast majority of such corrections is to shame the other member. It is petty, and once again:, for the record: it is off-topic.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

It appears to be the same logic in the educational system. I learned this when my daughter's socials teacher did not take away marks for spelling errors, etc. "This is not English class; I only mark for my curriculum."

Racing to the bottom, yes we are.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

This isn't school, these are not students. Totally different situation.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

It's one thing to use a correction to shame someone and another thing to simply point out "Hey, its actually spelt this way". Two completely different animals, and for the most cases, the context of a "shaming" post is very apparent.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Dizzy1 wrote:It's one thing to use a correction to shame someone and another thing to simply point out "Hey, its actually spelt this way". Two completely different animals, and for the most cases, the context of a "shaming" post is very apparent.

Not everyone is as educated or as adept on the keyboard as others, while some may have learning disabilities, or have English as a second language to name just a few. Regardless, and IMO even if it is with good intentions to "correct" someone's spelling, it should be done privately because unfortunately, some on this forum are unable to discern the difference between these "two completely different animals". Just sayin...
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Yeah, I get that but I think my beef is that this is all of a sudden an issue. Most of us have done it in the past, with good intentions and to be honest, I find it a bit of a surprise to all of sudden have a well intentioned post to be removed with the reasoning of "derailing" a thread.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Dizzy1 wrote:Yeah, I get that but I think my beef is that this is all of a sudden an issue. Most of us have done it in the past, with good intentions and to be honest, I find it a bit of a surprise to all of sudden have a well intentioned post to be removed with the reasoning of "derailing" a thread.

Actually it is not suddenly an issue, I've clamped down many times on this particular habit.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

This, for example, is from 2008:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13777
ValB58
Banned

Post by ValB58 »

Self checking grammar is as easy as:

https://www.grammarly.com/?q=grammar&ut ... fgodhZ4A-A
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Jo wrote:This, for example, is from 2008:

<span><a class="smarterwiki-linkify" href="http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13777">http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13777</a></span>

Umm, Jo? There is a smiley in that thread, alive and well. I think you missed one.

Return to “Feedback and Requests”