Negative posters.

Comments about the discussion board. Site-related comments should be addressed to the applicable department through the Contact Us form.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Negative posters.

Post by I Think »

It would appear that a few posters are more concerned with making negative comments designed to belittle either the last poster, or the entire topic. Some people even post unrelated stuff, because they (like children) must try to get attention.
We must ask how is it, that our society, which now has vast information available on many subjects, giving myriad opportunities for learning and passing on real knowledge, allows dullards to have sway?
We're lost but we're making good time.
Jo
Slot 16

Re: Negative posters.

Post by Jo »

When you see an off-topic comment or personal attack, report it.

Exceptions:

Conspiracies allows off-topic comments

Bickering Room allows both
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

there are some posters who seem insistent on having the last word, even if they're retreading the same comment every 2 minutes. There's a thread were nearly the entire topic is composed of someone making the same negative comments, often twice in 1 minute. Makes it a little hostile for other viewpoints to even enter the thread.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Insisting on the last word is a 'crime' that the majority of forum members commit.

And retreading the same comment is also a crime that the majority of forum members commit.

And calling the comments 'negative' usually translates to 'comments I don't agree with'.
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

Excellent topic Nibs!
I had to laugh when I saw someone posting they were not going to post a reply to another's comment because they didn't want to go down to their level... then went on to slam them back. Oh the games people love to play. It is very childish on so many levels.
Looks good on them.

~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

All you have to do in watch either or both Federal house of Commons or a Provincial Legislature during question period. To see a bunch of grown adults act like kindergarten class & this is face to face debating.

Your expecting better from an online forum, with majority of each posters totally unknown to each other.

I admit reading some posters posts crack me up, including my own (when go back & re-read them).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

GordonH wrote:I admit reading some posters posts crack me up, including my own (when go back & re-read them).

I've been on many forums over the years. I am the first to admit that I am not proud of myself, for how I acted and posted.

I'm not sure when or what changed my online attitude, but I do know why. I was putting other people down to make myself seem better, superior, and at the time that made me feel better. I then realized that I was just trying to fill some kind of void in my life, because I was not happy with myself, and I didn't know any other way to deal with it. Some kind of temporary, emotional fix.

I do see a lot of long time posters on this site, that will never get it. It makes me sad for them.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

Ever been on a busy forum where everybody always gets along?

No, because debate and controversy is the lifeblood of a forum. That doesn't mean anybody has to take any of it personally, that part is up to them.

What would be the fun of posting something and having 12 people agree?

Embrace debate for being able to show us the other side of the coin, and ignore the crap you don't like.
On a different forum
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

Daspoot wrote:Ever been on a busy forum where everybody always gets along?

No, because debate and controversy is the lifeblood of a forum. That doesn't mean anybody has to take any of it personally, that part is up to them.

What would be the fun of posting something and having 12 people agree?

Embrace debate for being able to show us the other side of the coin, and ignore the crap you don't like.

It's easy to debate and stil get along. It's when poster's go out of their way to belittle, insult, and personally attack, that it goes to crap. It happens on this forum every day.

And no, I'm not going to report it to the mods. And I don't blame the mods. If everytime there was an off topic or attacking post to deal with, they'd be run ragged.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

And if you get rid of that edge, the forum will die as it will no longer be interesting. Just take a look at the number of views each threads get, the most controversial threads are by far the most popular.

I do understand what your base point is, as it can very tiring, and it can be problematic if you become emotionally invested. Remember you don't have to attend every argument you're invited to.

Sometimes it's beneficial to just type out a scathing reply, let it sit for a couple of minutes, and delete it without ever posting it. Most people deeply involved in heated debate on forums never change their viewpoint anyways.
Last edited by Daspoot on Mar 2nd, 2015, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On a different forum
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

What I've wondered over the years is this:

There always seems to be a few members who regularly have posts removed because their comments contain off topic remarks and or personal attacks. Does Castanet keep track of these kinds of stats? Why not just simply ban members who refuse to follow some pretty reasonable rules causing the mods all this extra work and degrading the quality of the discussion by constantly posting derogatory comments?

I've read a number of times over the years something like, "oh, the mods can't be everywhere, they do their best, yada yada." Why not just eliminate the problem? Maybe people would take the rules more seriously. It makes me wonder if Castanet thinks that all the silly drama is good for business.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I look above here in the 'Post a Reply' page and see two sometimes three ads, it is the same in the topics themselves. Of course it's good for business! Click counts and monetizing, that's what it's all about.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

There is an ignore function, if you don't like certain posters.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

OREZ wrote:What I've wondered over the years is this:

There always seems to be a few members who regularly have posts removed because their comments contain off topic remarks and or personal attacks. Does Castanet keep track of these kinds of stats? Why not just simply ban members who refuse to follow some pretty reasonable rules causing the mods all this extra work and degrading the quality of the discussion by constantly posting derogatory comments?

I've read a number of times over the years something like, "oh, the mods can't be everywhere, they do their best, yada yada." Why not just eliminate the problem? Maybe people would take the rules more seriously. It makes me wonder if Castanet thinks that all the silly drama is good for business.

The 'silly drama' is what fuels forum life.

Banning members is the last resort - most who derail genuinely try not to do so when warned, however they are simply more prone to getting caught up in the emotion of a topic.

There would be no quality without a good dose of off-topic, high drama, even attacks. Think about the now-dead Riposte & Parry. Completely civilized - and it died a slow and sure death. Not only did people not read it, they didn't post to it.

It is a very fine balance, moderating a board. Moderate too much and you'll kill it, moderate too little and you'll have chaos.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

kgcayenne wrote:I look above here in the 'Post a Reply' page and see two sometimes three ads, it is the same in the topics themselves. Of course it's good for business! Click counts and monetizing, that's what it's all about.

And yet, every time that I've taken a long break from the forum it's been because I'm fed up with the childish name calling and drama. I don't see any excuse for it when Castanet already provides The Bickering Room for people to get their fill of that BS.

Another thing I don't understand is how it is that name-calling is against the rules but only between members. A person can completely trash a public figure all day long and that usually leads to threads going sideways. To me that's inconsistent with the rules since it's not allowed for members to trash each other or even businesses with which they may not like.

It would be nice if some people could learn how to express their opinions forcefully without sounding like a child having a temper tantrum.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."

Return to “Feedback and Requests”