56%
Undecided
4%

Total votes: 211

Bestside
Guru

Re: Shepherd seeking third term as mayor

Post by Bestside »

GenesisGT wrote:An example of flip/flopping and we are still three months away from the election. Capital News reports Shepherd is against municipal auditor, but for the 2008 election according to CFIB survey (Question #4) she was in favor of an independent auditor. (See links) I am sure she would identify some technical difference between the two independent auditors, where else has her opinion change. Let the silly season begin.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/okanagan_sim ... 77223.html

http://www.cfib.ca/legis/bc/pdf/kelowna.pdf

Municipal salaries need better oversight. Other municipalities that are used as reference points to set local municipal salaries were playing games with salaries (EG. Langley. The resulting out of sync unjustified salary increases at those places went right to the bottom line of unwarranted salary increases for local municipal council and employees.

And that's just a start ... there have been shenanigans with expenditures for inappropriate logo designs, misuse of funds to try and overturn legal covenants, building public paths on private property, and waste of money for legal fees to try and bully through their way... Games have been played with loss of financial windfalls when friends of council objected due to their NIMBY dogma..

Bring on some oversight with substantial teeth... it's a start to make them aware someone is watching what they are doing. The only reason they don't want it locally is they have something to hide!
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Appernently Sharon just tossed her hat into the abortion issue and got the city of Kelowna to issue a official statement that it is against abortions., giving the Right-to-life society a voice in our city.

She issued a Kelowna Anti-Abortion Proclamation in yesterdays Capital, I'm trying to find the actual link.

Talk about a dinosaur. Well I wasn't voting for her anyways but talk about a lack of class.
DerKaiser
Board Meister

Post by DerKaiser »

Bagotricks wrote:Appernently Sharon just tossed her hat into the abortion issue and got the city of Kelowna to issue a official statement that it is against abortions., giving the Right-to-life society a voice in our city.

She issued a Kelowna Anti-Abortion Proclamation in yesterdays Capital, I'm trying to find the actual link.

Talk about a dinosaur. Well I wasn't voting for her anyways but talk about a lack of class.

Never really liked Shepherd and I wouldn't vote for her, but I fully agree on her views on abortion!
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

DerKaiser wrote:
Bagotricks wrote:Appernently Sharon just tossed her hat into the abortion issue and got the city of Kelowna to issue a official statement that it is against abortions., giving the Right-to-life society a voice in our city.

Never really liked Shepherd and I wouldn't vote for her, but I fully agree on her views on abortion!

Her views are her own business.. not the business of the City of Kelowna.

She got snookered into doing this. I guess it shows her decision making abilities. A poor move politically. A lose lose move.

ETA. But then again... she's not gay and there is no political fallout from that declaration :)
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Following information from the Pro Life website, link below. Interesting why it is not on the City of Kelowna website

Mayor Shepherd Proclaims Pro Life Week in Kelowna.
4th consecutive year for week-long event.

August 31, 2011 Kelowna, BC; Kelowna Mayor Sharon Shepherd has once again proclaimed the last week of September as Protect Human Life Week in Kelowna. The proclamation is the second of its kind in Canada this year. Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson - despite reaffirming his belief in a "woman's right to choose" - designated May 12 as "Respect for Life" day prior to the annual March for Life on the 14th. Predictably, the pro abortion blogosphere experienced a mild eruption over that one.

Here in Kelowna, it is the 4th consecutive year Mayor Shepherd has granted Kelowna Right to Life their request. Aside from year one when she received a considerable amount of backlash from those who believe killing unborn babies is a good thing, she has largely escaped criticism of her show of tolerance toward the pro life community in the Central Okanagan. Supporters are encouraged to drop Mayor a Shepherd a quick note thanking her for respecting our mission. She can be reached at [email protected].

Kelowna Right to Life has the usual slate of activities planned for the 2011 version of the week. Visit our events section for more information on the events of the week.

http://www.prolifekelowna.com/
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
maxx
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by maxx »

I wonder how quickly she'd declare Athiest Week.........maybe I'll get started on that.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

GenesisGT wrote:Following information from the Pro Life website, link below. Interesting why it is not on the City of Kelowna website

August 31, 2011 Kelowna, BC; Kelowna Mayor Sharon Shepherd has once again proclaimed the last week of September as Protect Human Life Week in Kelowna. The proclamation is the second of its kind in Canada this year. Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson - despite reaffirming his belief in a "woman's right to choose" - designated May 12 as "Respect for Life" day prior to the annual March for Life on the 14th. Predictably, the pro abortion blogosphere experienced a mild eruption over that one.

Here in Kelowna, it is the 4th consecutive year Mayor Shepherd has granted Kelowna Right to Life their request. Aside from year one when she received a considerable amount of backlash from those who believe killing unborn babies is a good thing, she has largely escaped criticism of her show of tolerance toward the pro life community in the Central Okanagan. Supporters are encouraged to drop Mayor a Shepherd a quick note thanking her for respecting our mission. She can be reached at [email protected].

Kelowna Right to Life has the usual slate of activities planned for the 2011 version of the week. Visit our events section for more information on the events of the week.

She is certainly going to get a email from me now - plus make it my mission to tell as many people as I can all about her Pro-Life ways.

Talk about manipulation! "Aside from year one when she received a considerable amount of backlash from those who believe killing unborn babies is a good thing"

Way to go Sharon! I think you just ruined your chances of re-election and made the biggest political mistake ever. Picking a side on the abortion debate. Why didn't she just say all Palestinians are terrorists and make some anti-gay slurs and be done with it?
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

Unless Sharon has been asked to proclaim Pro Choice Week and turned the request down, I fail to see how this proclomation identifies her as Pro Life. She is simply agreeing to the request of a certain segment of the population of Kelowna. As is her job.

As a Pro Choicer, it certainly won't stop me from voting for her. As I have the last two times she has ran. According to the press release by Pro Life this is the 4th year. Which means the procomation was also granted before the last time Sharon was elected mayor.

A non issue, IMO.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Bagotricks wrote:
GenesisGT wrote:Following information from the Pro Life website, link below. Interesting why it is not on the City of Kelowna website

She is certainly going to get a email from me now - plus make it my mission to tell as many people as I can all about her Pro-Life ways.

Talk about manipulation! "Aside from year one when she received a considerable amount of backlash from those who believe killing unborn babies is a good thing"

Way to go Sharon! I think you just ruined your chances of re-election and made the biggest political mistake ever. Picking a side on the abortion debate. Why didn't she just say all Palestinians are terrorists and make some anti-gay slurs and be done with it?

Jezuzjumpincriminy, Bago ........................... IT ISN'T THE MAYOR'S DECISION - Send your letter to all of council or go back through the minutes and find out which councillors voted for it and target them with your hate mail. The mayor may not even have voted on this issue at all. She's just the city's messenger on the proclamation. You really do need to do some homework on issues and how council and city hall works. This is just ridiculous how you hate on one person when she's not even to blame usually.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
AllthatFunk
Board Meister

Post by AllthatFunk »

grammafreddy wrote:
Bagotricks wrote:

Jezuzjumpincriminy, Bago ........................... IT ISN'T THE MAYOR'S DECISION - Send your letter to all of council or go back through the minutes and find out which councillors voted for it and target them with your hate mail. The mayor may not even have voted on this issue at all. She's just the city's messenger on the proclamation. You really do need to do some homework on issues and how council and city hall works. This is just ridiculous how you hate on one person when she's not even to blame usually.

It's always the messenger that gets shot. What I don't understand is how some people base their entire vote on whether or not someone is pro-life or pro-choice. Voting is important. Becoming informed about what you are voting for is so much more important. I agree with GF.
Furthermore, Bago your last remark about OUR MAYOR (whether you like it or not) was uncalled for. You just insinuated that she is a racist and a homophobe. She can't even defend herself and that's unfair. You can also be called on those remarks, possibly even charged if she gets wind of it.
I'd rather live with regrets than regret not living.
TJ08

Post by TJ08 »

I will not vote for Sharen Sheperd,for one simple reason. Urban chickens! They have had long enough to do thier
studies on the subject and are sitting on the fencepost.Why? Come springtime whether it has been approved or not, I
will be at Buckerfields to get me some chickens!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

TJ08 wrote:I will not vote for Sharen Sheperd,for one simple reason. Urban chickens! They have had long enough to do thier
studies on the subject and are sitting on the fencepost.Why? Come springtime whether it has been approved or not, I
will be at Buckerfields to get me some chickens!

Oh please!!! Sharon is so onside with urban chickens. She has been a supporter for them. Have you even talked to her about that? I have - many times. She is frustrated about it, too.

You will NOT be wanting to vote for Hobson, Hodge, Blanleil or the young puppy, Craig, who has done diddly squat but follow along like a good little puppy dog on somebody's (no names) apron strings. I can't remember where James and Stack sat on that issue. Ask them personally.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
dyck4696

Post by dyck4696 »

I would never vote for her.
Time for some young blood, or someone that can change this city a bit.
TJ08

Post by TJ08 »

Actually, yes I have spoken to her about the urban chickens. She said awhile ago that it was going to council,why is it that the
noise bylaw and the smoking in parks bylaw passed so quickly and we still sit and wait for a decision to be made on this. I think
the survey here saying that so many would not vote for her speaks for itself.
Mastercraft69
Fledgling

Post by Mastercraft69 »

If you really spend the time and actually research our current mayor and council to others in BC we dont have it terribly bad. Im not saying it cant be better, but people need to spend more time approaching Mayor and council while elected with concerns rather than waiting to election day just to vote a no body in. Just my thoughts.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”