Kim Ouellette is making a third run for mayor

breeolson
Fledgling

Post by breeolson »

she's got my vote , we need a new face and hopefully someone that doesn't spend tax payers money on logo's that someone saw a vision in a pine cone
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Re: Kim Ouellette is making a third run for mayor

Post by Mtn Biker »

Ain't going to happen. She doesn't have the experience or knowledge to lead a council. Wishful thinking at best. Good luck though.
breeolson
Fledgling

Post by breeolson »

Right now we need someone to run against sheppard because everyone I have talked to wishes they can place there vote for someone else now because they want a new face on council
Evan
Board Meister

Post by Evan »

I'll stick with Sharon.
To be inspired.
alisvolatpropriis
Fledgling

Post by alisvolatpropriis »

Evan wrote:I'll stick with Sharon.

I as well.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Sharon - good news and bad news...

What's the bad news?

Someone is running against you in the next election.

Oh no! And what is the good news?

It's Kim Ouellette.

Excellent...
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

can anyone confirm what sharon did befor she became mayor
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

alisvolatpropriis wrote:
Evan wrote:I'll stick with Sharon.

I as well.

Me three.

If Kim was running for a councillor position, I'd vote for her so we might be able to get rid of a few on there who have become part of the "empire" problem.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/63 ... t-Shepherd

Ouellette takes a run at Shepherd
by Wayne Moore - Story: 63987
Aug 23, 2011 / 1:00 pm

Photo: Contributed

Sharon Shepherd will face-off against a familiar foe when she seeks a third consecutive term as Kelowna's mayor November 19.

Kim Ouellette has announced she will also run for the city's top political chair for a third time.

As a newcomer, Ouellette garnered just 115 votes in a five person race for mayor in 2005 before picking up 4,056 votes (24%) in a head-to-head race with Shepherd in 2008.

Ouellette also sought a seat on council during the 2009 by-election, finishing 13th in a 15 person race with just 45 votes.

"I believe it is time for a change," says Ouellette on why she is running.

"I think mayor and council are not doing what I think the people of Kelowna want them to do as far as infrastructure. City spending is not going to the right areas."

Ouellette says the city needs to concentrate on creating infrastructure that is needed now before growth gets out of hand.

As for spending, she says the city needs to cut back.

She says if that means a freeze on wages, including council wages, so be it.

"City Council just went through a discussion that they should get a raise. I don't think that would be fair when the economy hasn't bounced back. I don't think a raise at this point would be a smart idea."

Ouellette believes downtown revitalization and affordable housing are two of the main issues in the November 19 election campaign.

She says higher taxes downtown is a major factor in the number of business closures.

"The economy has not bounced back and for the average earner it's hard," adds Ouellette.

"We need more affordable housing and without affordable housing there will be no workers. If we want to keep our young people and students graduating from UBC Okanagan in Kelowna to work, have fun, live and raise their families, we have to create a system that works for affordable housing."

As for downtown, Ouellette, a supporter of the failed CD21 Zone, says council needs to restrict development to six storeys between Abbott and Ellis streets with higher density (15 to 20 storeys) set further back..

"We won't lose our city park and we won't lose the beauty of being able to see the lake with all those high rises in front."

Ouellette admits she is not an experienced politician, saying she's just "an average person making an average income."

Okay, so there's her platform and some of her issues.

She hasn't been keeping up at all.

She says she is a supporter of the failed CD21 zone, but then says "council needs to restrict development to six storeys between Abbott and Ellis streets with higher density (15 to 20 storeys) set further back" - which is NOT what the old CD21 was at all.

She says:

"We need more affordable housing and without affordable housing there will be no workers. If we want to keep our young people and students graduating from UBC Okanagan in Kelowna to work, have fun, live and raise their families, we have to create a system that works for affordable housing."

Yeah, well, the current mayor has been making an effort to do that ever since she first got elected. What's Kim gonna do differently and how the hell does she think it will be paid for? If she thinks the city should fund or subsidize housing for low income earners, then she better figure out a way to tell all the taxpayers they are going to see an increase in their taxes - because government's money is the people's money. Did she forget she also said, "The economy has not bounced back and for the average earner it's hard"?

She says taxes are too high downtown ... umm yeah well, taxes are high because property values are high. They are high in other areas of town, too. Is the taxpayer now going to be expected to have their taxes go up so the business owners downtown can get a break? What about all the business owners who aren't downtown? Should their taxes go up so their competition downtown can thrive?

While it is all fine and dandy to spout off about ideals, she needs to determine just exactly HOW she will effect change and HOW it will be funded. Until then, it's all just empty words.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

breeolson
Fledgling

Post by breeolson »

has everyone forgotten about the spending, like the 80,000 for the logo and tax payers and no input on , or the polar bear that lights up like a christmas tree and yet people complain and then still decide to vote her in again . Interesting well if she gets in and people want to complain please don't
UnknownResident
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by UnknownResident »

breeolson wrote:has everyone forgotten about the spending, like the 80,000 for the logo and tax payers and no input on , or the polar bear that lights up like a christmas tree and yet people complain and then still decide to vote her in again . Interesting well if she gets in and people want to complain please don't

Until there's another option that's viable Shepard is all we've got.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

breeolson wrote:has everyone forgotten about the spending, like the 80,000 for the logo and tax payers and no input on , or the polar bear that lights up like a christmas tree and yet people complain and then still decide to vote her in again . Interesting well if she gets in and people want to complain please don't

I think you are getting a bit mixed up here and blaming the mayor for things that council or staff was responsible for.

The flipping bear was a decision made by the Public Arts Committee - not council or the mayor.

The logo was a decision of the former council (not the mayor alone) and was finalized in this council's term.

People need to remember that the mayor alone does not make decisions. Very often a decision of council is not what the mayor wants, but as mayor, she is obligated to support the decision of council - and any mayor should do that. It is part of being a team player. I remember a number of times Sharon said she did not vote the way the vote went and still was a good team player about abiding by the majority-rule system.

If you want to be an informed voter, you would do best to see who on council voted which way on the decisions council made that you disagree with. Those are the ones who need replacing.

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

the truth wrote:can anyone confirm what sharon did befor she became mayor

I don't know for sure, but I think she is a pharmacist and taught pharmacy at either our college or some other college. I could be wrong.

Ironhorse1
Fledgling

Post by Ironhorse1 »

Are you Kim's campaign chair?
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

grammafreddy wrote:
the truth wrote:can anyone confirm what sharon did befor she became mayor

I don't know for sure, but I think she is a pharmacist and taught pharmacy at either our college or some other college. I could be wrong.

Her husband is a doctor of some sort, and she managed his office. That's what I remember hearing, but I don't know for sure either.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”