Walter Gray makes it official

Jonrox
Guru

Re: Walter Gray makes it official

Post by Jonrox »

I wouldn't give away City Park... although with the way people on this forum complain about it being full of nothing but druggies and needles (which it isn't), I'd think most people here would be glad to see it go... at least see it be used for something more useful. There is very little action in the city - at least development is action. We need to quit stalling while other major cities move forward or we risk continuing to lose our young people.

The city needs a reason to be excited again... if it's development that will jumpstart the city again, I'm all for it. Something needs to change. Somebody needs to give young people a reason to come and stay here. We can't keep on the path we're headed down - if Mayor Shephard isn't willing to do something, she's not the right person for the job. We need a real leader - somebody who will make decisions, not someone who will rely on committees to make decisions.

Who that is... I'm not sure. Maybe that person isn't even running. I'd at least be willing to make a change, if only for the sake of change.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

Jonrox wrote:I wouldn't give away City Park... although with the way people on this forum complain about it being full of nothing but druggies and needles (which it isn't), I'd think most people here would be glad to see it go... at least see it be used for something more useful. There is very little action in the city - at least development is action. We need to quit stalling while other major cities move forward or we risk continuing to lose our young people.

The city needs a reason to be excited again... if it's development that will jumpstart the city again, I'm all for it. Something needs to change. Somebody needs to give young people a reason to come and stay here. We can't keep on the path we're headed down - if Mayor Shephard isn't willing to do something, she's not the right person for the job. We need a real leader - somebody who will make decisions, not someone who will rely on committees to make decisions.

Who that is... I'm not sure. Maybe that person isn't even running. I'd at least be willing to make a change, if only for the sake of change.

I hear you... but Gray is going backwards, regressive not progressive. Been there done that with him.
And... Shepherd is very willing to do something... just not willing to sell our city down the river lake!
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
Mtn Biker
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mtn Biker »

And in his own words: “We had them from the left over to the right but at the end of the day we all understood compromise had to be made." What he really means is council would be locked up in a room while Gray brow-beat them, harassed, bullied them into compromise, or better yet, I’m right and you’re wrong . . . he treated city staff, minorities, the less fortunate, any group that didn’t measure up to his values, he dished on.
Or better yet . . . “Looking forward, Gray, a proponent of the now failed CD21 downtown revitalization plan says revitalizing downtown Kelowna needs to be revisited.” Ya, no kidding, it was going to work out pretty well for him too . . .
“He also spoke out publicly during the Cedar Avenue debate stating it was never the intention of the council of the day to preserve the area for parkland.” Sure Wally, why have more parks when we can have concrete on the lakeshore instead.
"Sometimes you have to take a risk. I don't mean gamble but you have to take a risk on things because, if you're not prepared to do that then what you're really doing is nothing. And, nothing is not acceptable." Wally is going to play this card until the end. It’s all he has. But I ask anyone reading this that supports him to name the community based changes he made that benefit the general citizens and not a specific few.
Here’s a list in the last 6 years. And I’ll give some credit to the previous council who began many, while the current completed them. Also remember the current mayor was a 3 term council member before winning the mayor’s seat. In no particular order: Cawston, Abbott, Houghton, Barrerra, Lakeshore, Clement, Parkinson . . . bike paths. Gordon road improvements, Stuart park completion, name by Gray for his old buddy. Hospital expansion, UBCO expansion . . . as a few.
A vote for Wally World is going backwards . . .
purple8

Post by purple8 »

And in his own words: “We had them from the left over to the right but at the end of the day we all understood compromise had to be made." What he really means is council would be locked up in a room while Gray brow-beat them, harassed, bullied them into compromise, or better yet, I’m right and you’re wrong . . . he treated city staff, minorities, the less fortunate, any group that didn’t measure up to his values, he dished on.

If that is what he "really means" that is what he would have said! Have you ever met Mr.Gray and spoke to him? You really believe that there were not "left to right" when there were councilors including Andre and Sharon... you could not get further apart than those two! And if Sharon was able to be "brow-beat, harassed and bullied into comprimise" than that is very weak and just shows me further why she is not a Leader!
Mtn Biker
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mtn Biker »

purple8 wrote:

If that is what he "really means" that is what he would have said! Have you ever met Mr.Gray and spoke to him? You really believe that there were not "left to right" when there were councilors including Andre and Sharon... you could not get further apart than those two! And if Sharon was able to be "brow-beat, harassed and bullied into comprimise" than that is very weak and just shows me further why she is not a Leader!

Yes I've met the guy, and heard him speak in public. I personally witnessed him make fun of gays, shun the homeless, and speak out both sides of his mouth, when his feet weren't in the way. And as for Sharon, she is on record on many occasions as the lone vote against many of the wrong ideas Gray tried to shove down council throat . . . so instead of fighting with him any longer, she just took his job and has done twice what he did in 2/3's the time . . . no Wally World is not what we want.

Please, I am getting so sick of this leadership issue. Why, because she's not loud and brash? Hmm, spend some time around City Hall, speak with employees, talked to developers that were not in Wally's pocket, they will all say the city has not been anti-development, just pro-RIGHT WAY TO DO THINGS - development . . . what's best for all and not the select few.
mr barrymor

Post by mr barrymor »

WALTER , WALTER , WALTER ! If old Grandpas like you and I have to be called upon to "lead?" this Kelowna of ours, then we have failed them miserably. Put your ego in your pants and sit on it. If they want a little advice tell them you are out of touch with the New Kelowna ... suffering from the world wide depression and the present point of the regular good to bad to good economy cycle. You did not rule in the bad times. Do not make your legacy worse by getting involved with the cry babies that need to get on with their life instead of running back to their elders for help ! Remember your Dad, he was a great guy and left a wonderful taste in my mouth. What are you doing ?
Let's develop Down Town Kelowna in a complete package. Bernard Avenue and Harvey Avenue included.
[email protected]
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

2 strikes against Gray for starters
1, bring back CD21 so he can get more money to Westcorp, Milroy and developers.
2, Cedar park. Home owners who sold to city now found out no promises of a park. And again more money to developers.
Am sure there be a lot more.
bigwizzard

Post by bigwizzard »

Mr Grey,
You have said that Council needs “real leadership” and I couldn’t agree more. This city needs to continue to move forward and meet the challenges the 21st century is going to bring. Is the kind of leadership you propose to bring back to Council the same you showed in 1997 when you violated my human rights? In 1997 you put your own personal views ahead of the electorate and the law and you made my city violate peoples inalienable Human Rights. Then you became bitter and refused to issue ANY proclamations. Is that real leadership? You and I have a difference of opinion when it comes to defining ‘real leadership.’ Real leadership takes a visionary. Someone who takes the wheel in a storm and guides you safely through, not someone who wants to flip-er-around and head back to the sunnier times. You want us to step back 6 years to a time when you let your own personal views tarnish our city’s image. You have yet to apologize to me or the city for your shameful acts. You show no remorse for your actions. You are not a leader in my eyes.You dont deserve the post of Mayor.
Lance G
dudlee
Übergod

Post by dudlee »

RichardWede wrote:
Mtn Biker wrote: And finally, go ask any city hall employee what is was like when Walter patrolled the halls. They couldn’t stand him.

That right there is an endorsement for Walter. When unionized workers aren't enamoured with their boss, it means he/she is making them do something for a change, instead of jerking around and getting away with it because their boss wants to be their buddy.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Exactly , do you want the butt kisser that does NOTHING , or the Butt Kicker that actually makes a decision ? I'll take strong over weak , everytime .

Oh and by the way my family has always lived here and I have lived here longer than you think , I just wanted to see how you Liberal Spin doctors would play with it . Just as pathetic as usual.
"A lie stated over a long enough period of time, becomes the truth" Adolf Hitler. But I say , "A half truth is a lie and there is always two sides to a story, but only one truth"
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

bigwizzard wrote:Mr Grey,
You have said that Council needs “real leadership” and I couldn’t agree more. This city needs to continue to move forward and meet the challenges the 21st century is going to bring. Is the kind of leadership you propose to bring back to Council the same you showed in 1997 when you violated my human rights? In 1997 you put your own personal views ahead of the electorate and the law and you made my city violate peoples inalienable Human Rights. Then you became bitter and refused to issue ANY proclamations. Is that real leadership? You and I have a difference of opinion when it comes to defining ‘real leadership.’ Real leadership takes a visionary. Someone who takes the wheel in a storm and guides you safely through, not someone who wants to flip-er-around and head back to the sunnier times. You want us to step back 6 years to a time when you let your own personal views tarnish our city’s image. You have yet to apologize to me or the city for your shameful acts. You show no remorse for your actions. You are not a leader in my eyes.You dont deserve the post of Mayor.
Lance G

what "human rights" of yours did he violate exactly? This should be good.
Justin Trudeau is an evil blight on this once great country. Shame on every single dumb-dumb that voted for this clown in 2021. LET'S GO BRANDON!! #slidinBiden
Mtn Biker
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mtn Biker »

dudlee wrote:
RichardWede wrote:
Mtn Biker wrote: And finally, go ask any city hall employee what is was like when Walter patrolled the halls. They couldn’t stand him.

That right there is an endorsement for Walter. When unionized workers aren't enamoured with their boss, it means he/she is making them do something for a change, instead of jerking around and getting away with it because their boss wants to be their buddy.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Exactly , do you want the butt kisser that does NOTHING , or the Butt Kicker that actually makes a decision ? I'll take strong over weak , everytime .

Oh and by the way my family has always lived here and I have lived here longer than you think , I just wanted to see how you Liberal Spin doctors would play with it . Just as pathetic as usual.

Define nothing please? It's a boring argument with no merit. Please define what hasn't been done and what should have been done. From my eyes I see two new bridges, wider highway, 65km of bike paths, expanded hospital and university, recognized and implemented solutions some of our social problems . . . but because the mayor isn't in your face you say nothing is done. Give it a rest . . . . have you been asleep for 6 years? Pathetic is Wally wanting to be mayor again . . . but I like the blush on his cheeks in the photo op . . nice rouge Wally.
Jonrox
Guru

Post by Jonrox »

Here's how I define having done nothing...

Young people continue to leave the city due to the lack of opportunity they see here. We need somebody who can entice economic development. Bike paths, roadwork, and logos are something that will happen regardless of who is mayor. Taking care of social issues is all fine and good, but failing to attract industry to Kelowna and allowing other cities to steal our best and brightest young talent is a shame.

We need decisions to be made... we don't need plans stalled for months and months while committee after committee gives their 2 cents worth.
mr barrymor

Post by mr barrymor »

Something needs to be said about "committee after committee". So there are times we seem to go overboard with our suggestions, requests and demands. Better that than having things go through via Old Boys Considerations. If Developers really want quick decisions, why not do as other developers are doing. Put a resident engineer/make it happen person in City Hall. That way an addition to help Staff with the process will make things happen more quickly for the developer. Of course, the developer would pay wages and expenses for the engineer/make it happen person. Save us taxpayers considerable sums of money.
Let's develop Down Town Kelowna in a complete package. Bernard Avenue and Harvey Avenue included.
[email protected]
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

Gray is quoted in today's Capital News as saying that development boomed during his time as Mayor. He also stated that "it's time to move forward."

Remember, the economy overall was booming during Gray's time as Mayor: nevertheless, we saw a net exodus of manufacturing jobs during his tenure and no support for new high-tech jobs to replace them. Gray and his cronies have a small-town attitude to economic development and a vote for Gray is a retrograde move that will keep our city a business backwater!
mr barrymor

Post by mr barrymor »

Dear Walter ... PLEASE CALL IT QUITS ! If you were 30 years younger maybe your statement that we need to get moving would be practical. WE NEED YOUNGER PEOPLE WITH YOUNGER IDEAS FOR THIS PRESENT GENERATION ! Only the unhappy people will support you and then if you are elected, you will be under their control. You will not be able to work for the majority. Those who might elect you will consider you as their PUPPET.
Obviously you are not realizing the massive improvements to our City since you were defeated by Mayor Shepherd.
Walter, negative efforts on the backs of negative people will assuredly cause you failure. Our beautiful, progressive City will be severely damaged. It took some time to get over your previous leadership. Don't make us go through it again no matter what the Castanet polls say. In this case that poll is not accurate. It is being fueled by complainers.
You will gain some respect back if you simply put out a notice that you have reconsidered.
[email protected]

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”