Walter Gray makes it official

EdCase
Board Meister

Re: Walter Gray makes it official

Post by EdCase »

mr barrymor wrote:Dear Walter ... PLEASE CALL IT QUITS ! If you were 30 years younger maybe your statement that we need to get moving would be practical. WE NEED YOUNGER PEOPLE WITH YOUNGER IDEAS FOR THIS PRESENT GENERATION ! Only the unhappy people will support you and then if you are elected, you will be under their control. You will not be able to work for the majority. Those who might elect you will consider you as their PUPPET.
Obviously you are not realizing the massive improvements to our City since you were defeated by Mayor Shepherd.
Walter, negative efforts on the backs of negative people will assuredly cause you failure. Our beautiful, progressive City will be severely damaged. It took some time to get over your previous leadership. Don't make us go through it again no matter what the Castanet polls say. In this case that poll is not accurate. It is being fueled by complainers.
You will gain some respect back if you simply put out a notice that you have reconsidered.

Amen Mr Barrymor - Gray, and the people pulling his strings, are only interested in their narrow view of Kelowna, not the dynamic city it needs to be.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
fisherking

Post by fisherking »

Curious Mr Barrymor, how young?

I mean, what exactly would be the 'right' age threshold. 65 or younger? 60 or younger? Is it 58? 53? 46? Just curious what that 'right' age limit is.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

mr barrymor wrote:Dear Walter ... PLEASE CALL IT QUITS ! If you were 30 years younger maybe your statement that we need to get moving would be practical. WE NEED YOUNGER PEOPLE WITH YOUNGER IDEAS FOR THIS PRESENT GENERATION ! Only the unhappy people will support you and then if you are elected, you will be under their control. You will not be able to work for the majority. Those who might elect you will consider you as their PUPPET.
Obviously you are not realizing the massive improvements to our City since you were defeated by Mayor Shepherd.
Walter, negative efforts on the backs of negative people will assuredly cause you failure. Our beautiful, progressive City will be severely damaged. It took some time to get over your previous leadership. Don't make us go through it again no matter what the Castanet polls say. In this case that poll is not accurate. It is being fueled by complainers.
You will gain some respect back if you simply put out a notice that you have reconsidered.

if you don't want him - don't vote for him - sounds like you are scared he might unseat Ms. Ditherer and that's the real issue for you here. I think a fair trade would be for him to pull out only if Rule and Reid go too.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

EdCase wrote:Gray is quoted in today's Capital News as saying that development boomed during his time as Mayor. He also stated that "it's time to move forward."

Remember, the economy overall was booming during Gray's time as Mayor: nevertheless, we saw a net exodus of manufacturing jobs during his tenure and no support for new high-tech jobs to replace them. Gray and his cronies have a small-town attitude to economic development and a vote for Gray is a retrograde move that will keep our city a business backwater!

We saw a net exodus because Western Star was bought out and moved out of here, mostly because a truck manufacturing business had no business being in Kelowna and this far away from a raw materials delivery hub in the first place. I really don't know what you mean about "no support" for high tech jobs either - it's not like Sharon Shepard has done anything - and I'm not sure what either of them were supposed to do. High Tech jobs are driven by entrepreneurs - not by government.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Really think Gray will turn the economy around in Kelowna? Get real. If he can do that he should be a world leader. Gray was mayor during a boom time with a council that was so pro development that anything was ok. Scary to have him as mayor and pretend boom times are back. Who really will benefit then?
mr barrymor

Post by mr barrymor »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
EdCase wrote:Gray is quoted in today's Capital News as saying that development boomed during his time as Mayor. He also stated that "it's time to move forward."

Remember, the economy overall was booming during Gray's time as Mayor: nevertheless, we saw a net exodus of manufacturing jobs during his tenure and no support for new high-tech jobs to replace them. Gray and his cronies have a small-town attitude to economic development and a vote for Gray is a retrograde move that will keep our city a business backwater!

We saw a net exodus because Western Star was bought out and moved out of here, mostly because a truck manufacturing business had no business being in Kelowna and this far away from a raw materials delivery hub in the first place. I really don't know what you mean about "no support" for high tech jobs either - it's not like Sharon Shepard has done anything - and I'm not sure what either of them were supposed to do. High Tech jobs are driven by entrepreneurs - not by government.

Barbarian ...
I am not just for the people you mentioned and that is not the real reason I am here. If it was, this effort would be a complete waste of time. At least your reply has more intelligence than some of the previous statements.
Having known Walter for so many years, my appeal to him is to let younger and up to date leadership take over. Walter just will not accept the favorable situation he was in during those previous years. Nor will his supporters accept this fact. Instead of challenging me, take a look at the records at City Hall ... and do not ask me to respond with information. Do it yourself. So what we have to let people have their say before a vote is taken by the Councilors. That opportunity is only fair politics.
Let's develop Down Town Kelowna in a complete package. Bernard Avenue and Harvey Avenue included.
[email protected]
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
High Tech jobs are driven by entrepreneurs - not by government.

Yes, entrepreneurs are the spark that develops the specific opportunities, but look at the really successful high-tech areas such as San Jose, Boston, Ottawa and Kitchener-Waterloo. In these areas there is a a highly coordinated effort by the regional & local government, academia and business to develop an economic and societal climate that develops and attracts the brightest and best. Right now, there are Okanagan entrepreneurs who are taking their ventures to Eastern Europe, South America and other places, not because they are cheaper, but because that is where they can find the talent they need. They've given up trying to find or attract that talent to Kelowna: bright, creative people just won't move to this sleepy backwater that Gray had a large hand in creating.

Your, "Oh woe is me, there's nothing we can do!" attitude is so typical of what is holding this community back from realizing its potential.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
mr barrymor

Post by mr barrymor »

EdCase ... Good points and well presented. We do have new people running for Council that will promote Kelowna as other areas are doing. That is the prime reason I want some changes on Council. Maybe you would like to look at our blog. http://harveyavenuekelownabc.blogspot.com So far, in the last few weeks, One thousand ten page views by interested folks.
Let's develop Down Town Kelowna in a complete package. Bernard Avenue and Harvey Avenue included.
[email protected]
econovan64
Übergod

Post by econovan64 »

John500 wrote:Really think Gray will turn the economy around in Kelowna? Get real. If he can do that he should be a world leader. Gray was mayor during a boom time with a council that was so pro development that anything was ok. Scary to have him as mayor and pretend boom times are back. Who really will benefit then?

No kidding. The boom is over and not going to cycle again any time soon. The decline of Western Star coincided with a global real estate boom and to those with tunnel vision it looked like Kelowna didn't need industry.
Well the chickens have come home to roost and real estate prices are still falling and have a long way to go before they hit bottom in Kelowna. Real Estate Prices will return to the pre-boom levels before they go up again folks, just as they have in previous cycles.

You can't have an economy based on real estate speculation and that's what we have in this town. We need industry that pays decent wages so people can afford to live here.

Gray will pave the parks and hand over the waterfront to outside speculators in backroom deals.
"Granddaddy used to handle snakes in church. Granny drank strychnine. I guess you could say I had a leg up, genetically speaking." Wesley Strick
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

econovan64 wrote:You can't have an economy based on real estate speculation and that's what we have in this town. We need industry that pays decent wages so people can afford to live here.

Gray will pave the parks and hand over the waterfront to outside speculators in backroom deals.

Eco - that's the situation in a nutshell - thanks!
Marcus Aurelius
Lizard King

Post by Lizard King »

In the window of Sharon Shepherd's campaign office is a sign saying "Sharon Shepherd for mayor. Balanced Leadership." I guess the implication is that Walter Gray is unbalanced.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

EdCase wrote:Yes, entrepreneurs are the spark that develops the specific opportunities, but look at the really successful high-tech areas such as San Jose, Boston, Ottawa and Kitchener-Waterloo. In these areas there is a a highly coordinated effort by the regional & local government, academia and business to develop an economic and societal climate that develops and attracts the brightest and best. Right now, there are Okanagan entrepreneurs who are taking their ventures to Eastern Europe, South America and other places, not because they are cheaper, but because that is where they can find the talent they need. They've given up trying to find or attract that talent to Kelowna: bright, creative people just won't move to this sleepy backwater that Gray had a large hand in creating..

you kind of had some decent points there actually - although the big difference here in Kelowna is that unlike San Jose, Boston and Kitchener Water-loo, we have the UBC to deal with here. Unlike universities in the other jurisdictions, the UBC has a policy of not co-operating with entrepreneurs and being extremely greedy with IP. So - it is really hard to do anything with them in terms of co-development. If the UBC would wake up and copy the Waterloo model, you might have another RIM develop here in BC, but right now it is next to impossible. Please don't say that this isn't true, I am close enough to this situation and have tried hard myself to reason with the UBC, but you are dealing with a massive bureaucracy and it is pretty immovable. So to sum up - there's not much that a mayor of Kelowna can do about this policy - this is a provincial issue.

Kelowna is a "sleepy backwater" in some ways, but it's a great place to raise a family, which is a big draw for creative people. There are a lot of good things going for Kelowna compared to many other places in Canada, and it is just plain silly to dismiss it the way you have.

But at any rate, I was willing to listen to you and your thoughts, until you posted this nonsense:

EdCase wrote:
Your, "Oh woe is me, there's nothing we can do!" attitude is so typical of what is holding this community back from realizing its potential.

You don't know me - if you did you'd know that I would never say this. I can't see anything I posted that would remotely indicate that I think "there's nothing we can do!!" but I am in favour of less government involvement (especially our local politicians who are all pretty weak) in business than more involvement - in other words - just get out of our way. I think you made this unkind assumption about my "attitude" because I am not part of your "I hate Walter Gray" fan club on this site. I really am not a fan of Walter or Sharon, and it would be nice if we had someone else make a run at it with some fresh ideas and some actual business experience, who aren't tied to the old council, or carry all of the baggage Walter brings with him. If I had to pick, I'd go with Walter, if only because I have little time for dithering politicians who govern by committee, and because the rest of the field appears extremely weak in comparison. But that's just me.
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

The Green Barbarian wrote:You don't know me - if you did you'd know that I would never say this. I can't see anything I posted that would remotely indicate that I think "there's nothing we can do!!" but I am in favour of less government involvement (especially our local politicians who are all pretty weak) in business than more involvement - in other words - just get out of our way. I think you made this unkind assumption about my "attitude" because I am not part of your "I hate Walter Gray" fan club on this site. I really am not a fan of Walter or Sharon, and it would be nice if we had someone else make a run at it with some fresh ideas and some actual business experience, who aren't tied to the old council, or carry all of the baggage Walter brings with him. If I had to pick, I'd go with Walter, if only because I have little time for dithering politicians who govern by committee, and because the rest of the field appears extremely weak in comparison. But that's just me.

I owe you an apology - there is no excuse for rudeness and I stepped over the line.

Actually, I do not hate Gray; I have some very personal reasons to be forever in his debt and I have a great respect for his community efforts since he was Mayor. However, I continue to believe he was hopeless as Mayor and would be again. Shepherd has her faults but, having worked with her, I honestly think she has a more coherent vision of what Kelowna can be.

It seems we may have more in common than we think. I agree re the IP issues at UBC (increasingly at SFU too) and am working to try and effect some change here.
Marcus Aurelius
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Lizard King wrote:In the window of Sharon Shepherd's campaign office is a sign saying "Sharon Shepherd for mayor. Balanced Leadership." I guess the implication is that Walter Gray is unbalanced.

You're right. He is. Back in 2005, leading up to the elections, a group of homeless people were chanting and making noise about their plight, outside city hall during a meetings among council member in Gray's office. Gray got annoyed by the disturbance, stomped downstairs to confront the protestors, and was heard shouting . . "what's wrong with you people, why don't you go home" . . that's the level of social conscientiousness Gray has. The man has a silky radio voice and can be persuasive, but he doesn't have the smarts or personality to be mayor.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

EdCase wrote:
The Green Barbarian wrote:You don't know me - if you did you'd know that I would never say this. I can't see anything I posted that would remotely indicate that I think "there's nothing we can do!!" but I am in favour of less government involvement (especially our local politicians who are all pretty weak) in business than more involvement - in other words - just get out of our way. I think you made this unkind assumption about my "attitude" because I am not part of your "I hate Walter Gray" fan club on this site. I really am not a fan of Walter or Sharon, and it would be nice if we had someone else make a run at it with some fresh ideas and some actual business experience, who aren't tied to the old council, or carry all of the baggage Walter brings with him. If I had to pick, I'd go with Walter, if only because I have little time for dithering politicians who govern by committee, and because the rest of the field appears extremely weak in comparison. But that's just me.

I owe you an apology - there is no excuse for rudeness and I stepped over the line.

Actually, I do not hate Gray; I have some very personal reasons to be forever in his debt and I have a great respect for his community efforts since he was Mayor. However, I continue to believe he was hopeless as Mayor and would be again. Shepherd has her faults but, having worked with her, I honestly think she has a more coherent vision of what Kelowna can be.

It seems we may have more in common than we think. I agree re the IP issues at UBC (increasingly at SFU too) and am working to try and effect some change here.

Fair enough.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”