Kelowna Councillor Andre Blanleil

Mtn Biker
Übergod

Kelowna Councillor Andre Blanleil

Post by Mtn Biker »

Can anyone share some light why this person continues to be elected to our city council? I haven’t confirmed this yet, the information is available at city hall, but according to reports from those around council, Andre has the worse attendance record on council, constantly provides the lone voice of contention (dissension), is pro development and anti-culture, one of the “good ol’ boys” selling out our future . . . so why are we letting him sit on council?

I think if fresh faces are needed to steer Kelowna forward, this is one old face that could use a rest.
Last edited by Mtn Biker on Oct 12th, 2011, 8:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Kelowna Councillor Andre Blanleil

Post by Rwede »

Can you tell me why the voice of contention (I think you meant "dissension", but let's use your wording) could be considered a "good old boy?" Don't good old boys all vote together to keep the status quo? If so, how can one be a dissenter and still be seen as a supporter of keeping the status quo? You've contradicted yourself.

dis·sent·er   /dɪˈsɛntər/ Show Spelled[dih-sen-ter] Show IPA
noun
1. a person who dissents, as from an established church, political party, or majority opinion.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

RichardWede wrote:Can you tell me why the voice of contention (I think you meant "dissension", but let's use your wording) could be considered a "good old boy?" Don't good old boys all vote together to keep the status quo? If so, how can one be a dissenter and still be seen as a supporter of keeping the status quo? You've contradicted yourself.

noun
1. a person who dissents, as from an established church, political party, or majority opinion.

At present we don't have the "good ol' boy" council . . . they left with Walter 6 years ago . . . but one remains. Does this help you understand my comment?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Mtn Biker wrote:
RichardWede wrote:Can you tell me why the voice of contention (I think you meant "dissension", but let's use your wording) could be considered a "good old boy?" Don't good old boys all vote together to keep the status quo? If so, how can one be a dissenter and still be seen as a supporter of keeping the status quo? You've contradicted yourself.

noun

At present we don't have the "good ol' boy" council . . . they left with Walter 6 years ago . . . but one remains. Does this help you understand my comment?

I see - so he's in the good old boys' club but is the only member of that club. I guess that's why, when the rest of council votes to study the beJesus out of something for another 5 years, he is a "voice of contention" and makes a decision and votes to get on with things.

I think I understand your comment better now - you like more studies about the spacing of sidewalk cracks and the size of chicken coops.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

RichardWede wrote:
Mtn Biker wrote:

noun

I see - so he's in the good old boys' club but is the only member of that club. I guess that's why, when the rest of council votes to study the beJesus out of something for another 5 years, he is a "voice of contention" and makes a decision and votes to get on with things.

I think I understand your comment better now - you like more studies about the spacing of sidewalk cracks and the size of chicken coops.

Don't be a dick Richard. Not here to argue with you about the semantics. Obviously you support this person, tell us why, and not just blanket generalized points, be specific if you can. I’ll be getting some chickens too, wana buy some eggs?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Who said I support Andre? What I don't support is your disingenuous assertion that one can be a "good old boy" and yet be a dissenter. Your argument doesn't fly. One can't be a member of both clubs. If there's a good old boys' club, it's the rest of council who don't make decisions and support one another to stifle change in the name of more study. That's what good old boys' clubs do, they band together to keep things the same.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

I don't get the constant barrage of "Development Bad" on these forums. Obviously growth and development should be intelligently planned and managed, but how else will more housing, business space, etc become available in this town?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Gilchy wrote:I don't get the constant barrage of "Development Bad" on these forums. Obviously growth and development should be intelligently planned and managed, but how else will more housing, business space, etc become available in this town?

The label "bad" came from the council and staff and consultant concept of planning highrises right on the lakeshore instead of planning wiser and allowing the lakeshore to remain for the people who lived in town and building highrises farther back from the lake. There were also a few other planning decisions that also catered only to the rich and snubbed noses at everyone else.

I don't think people are saying development is bad - they just want more intelligent development that isn't only for the wealthy. And they don't want it anywhere along the lake shore.

I won't be supporting Blanleil. He has been very vocal against backyard chickens - which I support. However, that's not the only reason - I won't vote for any of the ones who were so miserable and nasty about the failed CD21.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”