"Nuisance" candidates

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

"Nuisance" candidates

Post by Rwede »

Is there such a thing as "nuisance" candidates in Kelowna, those perennial losers that tend to run in all sorts of elections (federal, provincial, regional district, municipal, school district, etc) that have no chance of being elected?

Do you remember when Christmas Tree Pete got into the race? What about some of these recycled NDP candidates that have tried at federal and provincial levels, and are now trying to wedge their butts into council seats?

Should there be more stringent nomination policies that keep this bunch from cluttering the ballot, or do we accept it as a bit of humour when they show up with their simplistic views on the complex operations of government?

I'm all for equal opportunity for anyone who wishes to put their name forth, but I do wonder what makes some of the clueless think they can manage all these millions of our dollars without any experience and/or education in running a large, complex business like the city. Do they fully understand the responsibility that comes with the job?

Discuss.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: "Nuisance" candidates

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I think there are well-meaning (for the most part) yet completely clued-out individuals who run in these elections for sure. On the other hand, a lot of people complain about the quality of our elected officials, yet would rather camp out in parks in cities thinking that this is somehow "making a difference", when in fact they'd be better off following tried and true avenues of running for politics. Sitting around in a park, or holding a stupid sign chanting some meaningless three word slogan seems to be literally the least you can do, which is why a lot of our young people seem to choose this useless option, rather than take the hard road, and run in elections, convincing others in our democracy that you are someone that they should listen to, and even follow.

I know in this day and age, our young people are taught that everything has to be "fair" - and that if they actually try at anything, they have to be rewarded for making the effort. This leads to them trying to vote, (and of course them voting for the hippy-dippy Green/NDP loser their teacher told them to vote for) and then when the person they voted for doesn't win, then this isn't "fair". Well that isn't the lesson here. The lesson here is - if you want change, you have to work for it. Sitting on your duff isn't working, it isn't even effect protesting. Life isn't fair, but if you want it bad enough and are willing to put in an honest effort, you can change it. It just takes work.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

There is no such thing.......that is.....unless.. you have a personal hatred for someone who wants to run for a position that you think they are not qualified for.
You are even allowed to run, as long as you follow all the rules and regulations.
I'd even run, but, I couldn't work with all the council members who should be booted out.

Even if you have some experience, there is a lot to learn.
I do, personally think you shouldn't be able to run for Mayor unless you have served at least one term on council.

Nuisance candidates to me are those(existing) who keep running for council positions that are hated by thousands.
After 2 terms, one could run for Mayor, or leave(manditory) and try again in the following election.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I'm not up on Kelowna politics but what about Angela Reid or Reid-Nagy? I think she ran in every conceivable election contest at every level. She made it, didn't she?

Was she an example of a nuisance candidate or an example of what dogged determination can do?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

I think she's an example of what the Gore-washed left and testosterone votes for.

But what do I know?

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

removed - Jennylives
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

so true!
Ironhorse1
Fledgling

Post by Ironhorse1 »

What about Tisha Kalmonovich? (sp) She's been a loser at the federal provincial and is running locally I beleive. Keep on dreaming man! (or woman)
Ironhorse1
Fledgling

Post by Ironhorse1 »

Further to that, i'm shocked that Matthew Reed isn't running in this election. Maybe he's now running in Nelson's election.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Vote for the beard!

Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

mathew reed isn't running in the kelowna election...why post a photo of him? talk about "nuisance" posts!
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

removed off topic - Jennylives
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

Is there such a thing a nuisance vote?
Then there is no such thing as a nuisance candidate.
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

What are the costs to the city of having fringe candidates on the ballot? Is it minimal? Is there considerable administration behind the scenes at city hall for the candidates? Any city hall workers care to enlighten us?

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”