Attend Forums!

rachelski

Attend Forums!

Post by rachelski »

I personally think this is the fastest, easiest, and possibly most intelligent, way of figuring out who to consider voting for of the overwhelming number of candidates running for council this time around. The forums can be found on the City of Kelowna website- I think there are also a couple of meet-and-greets which would be incredibly helpful as well.

The first forum allowed me to cross off the majority of candidate hopefuls simply because they were unprepared and/or showed little knowledge about the city and questions being asked. Other than the incumbents, only 2 candidates really stood out for me- Colin Bazran and Bobby Kennedy. They both spoke incredibly well; Bazran topping the list as he also came across as knowledgable and understanding of the issues with bonus points for recognizing the limitations of municipal government and the need to work with those at the provincial and federal levels as well. It was incredibly uncomfortable and awkward watching most of the others, council and mayor hopefuls alike, try to stumble through their responses and it's hard not to wonder why people run without having basic knowledge about the community, municipal government, and the key issues. Of the incumbents, Shepherd undoubtedly knows her stuff, similarly so does Hobson; and I thought Stack and Rule did pretty well- and at least answered the question they were given. Another shock to me was how much Gray has aged- he's definitely not the same presence he once was- and the pics he's using have to be from the 2005 era because they look nothing like him now. And what I was able to gather, using similar language, these 3 are in it together: Gray, Gran, and James.
countrygirl0607

Re: Attend Forums!

Post by countrygirl0607 »

I think you're completely right! The forum on Thursday allowed me to critically analyze all the candidates, and definitely a bunch stuck out. I'm excited for Wednesday's forum, which will have a greater variety of topics that will narrow down candidates for sure.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Another interesting thing to do at forums is to arrive early and people watch. You will see who the candidates are shmoozing and avoiding, as well as who their "groupies" are.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Glacier »

RE: the usefulness of attending forums.

I said the same thing during the federal election campaign, and was told by posters on there that attending forums is utterly useless. It's good to see that I'm not alone in my view about the usefulness of forums.
The worst part about a 7 day lockdown is the first 4 months.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

There's a different forum format happening in Rutland on November 8th at the Rutland Centennial Hall from 7:00 to 10:00 pm - the candidates will have tables and anyone can approach them to ask questions.

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=278322128865984
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
richardtaylor1973

Post by richardtaylor1973 »

countrygirl0607 wrote:The forum on Thursday allowed me to critically analyze all the candidates, and definitely a bunch stuck out.

Interested to hear who stuck out in your mind. (Personally, I thought Basran & Mabey from the new bunch & James/Stack from the incumbents).
charliehodge

Post by charliehodge »

Since the topic of Meet and Greets has come up I would welcome you all to attend one of mine. Join me at the Minstrel Cafe and Bar this Tuesday, October 25th from 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM. (4638 Lakeshore Rd.). Thanks, Councillor Charlie Hodge
tumbledry

Post by tumbledry »

A disappointing side-effect of the large number of candidates is that a forum become a less effective way to judge candidates. I heard today that the Mission forum tomorrow will not ask any questions to the candidates, it'll just give them a chance to read a prepared statement. I find it much easier to evaluate someone based on their responses to questions.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

The large number of candidates makes the forums marginally helpful.
Maybe we just need to go to more of them?

The one tonight is in the Mission, at the First Lutheran Church at 7 p.m.

The teacher's association will sponsor an all candidates forum-details to come.

Leaning towards-Shepherd plus Hodge/Rule/Stack/Zimmerman/Hobson/Reid/Scanlan/Given

Sustainability is important!
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Attending forums is a good to see if candidates communicate a consistent message. I have attended two forums and believe that what Shepard says to these small groups and what goes out on mass media differ. At the two forums attended Shepard stated at least five times in her two minute speech the term "My vision of Kelowna..." , but in print Capital News she is quoted as "Sharon Shepherd says she doesn’t have her own vision for Kelowna, she has a community vision."

So which is it?

http://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/election/132751218.html
Ladies and gentlemen, the future lies in the future!
Kristos

Post by Kristos »

I would have to say that Dan Thorburn had some good stuff to say, I admired how he spoke to the people in a more personal tone, did not feel the need to cram pointless and repetative information into his introduction, and all in all was straight forward and crisp. I have been reading through these forums and wondering why more people have not noticed what he has had to say. I really think he takes a step in a different direction and doesnt need to repeat what the last person said. I urge people to go to his site and talk to him, personally i have had many discussion with Dan and I have to say I have never felt so comfortable speaking my mind to someone. So i dare you, who ever may read this, go to http://www.DanThorburn.com and ask Dan questions.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid= ... ext=create

Info re the Meet and Greet at the Rutland Centennial Hall November 8th.

Looks to be a much more workable way to have the opportunity to discuss your issues with the wannabees and assess their qualities for the positions they are seeking.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”