Colin Basran Doesn't Live In Kelowna

User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
Posts: 28548
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Re: Colin Basran Doesn't Live In Kelowna

Post by grammafreddy »

Piecemaker wrote:Does someone have to own their own home to run for council?
No?!?!
Anyone renting while on City Council isn't "paying property taxes" either, Besides, city staff develop the budget and provide rationale and information to council, who in turn amends and passes it.
Where Basran lives right now is not the issue. His explanation is reasonable. Enough already.
Find a REAL ISSUE to focus on.

(Like chickens...or something!) :)



Thanks, Piece ... chickens are definitely a dividing line for deciding who to vote for ... pro-development and highrises on the lake or pro the "little guy" - the ordinary, average citizen of Kelowna (you and me kind of folks).

Even the FourChange block have recognized the chickens are a thorn in their side. That makes me very happy! :sunshine:
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
IlluminatiDunce
Posts: 53
Joined: Oct 23rd, 2011, 12:33 pm

Re: Colin Basran Doesn't Live In Kelowna

Post by IlluminatiDunce »

Piecemaker calm down bud, we're on the same team.

Forgetting the fact even renters pay for increases in property taxes in higher rents and thus non-property owners in Kelowna are affected when taxes go up which completely undermines your whole super argument, and forgetting the fact that there will be times citizens would have to meet him in another city to consult with him, and forgetting the fact most people, a very large majority don't like carpet baggers who run in other cities, .... Forgetting all of that, Go Basran, today Kelowna, tomorrow any other city, because clearly borders can't stop him.
User avatar
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 12049
Joined: Jun 6th, 2007, 8:43 pm

Re: Colin Basran Doesn't Live In Kelowna

Post by Piecemaker »

My argument is still sound...mostly. Rents are based on what the market will bear. Rent is what it is and increases the allowable amount by the Landlord/Tenancy Act, NOT at all related to property taxes! Property taxes could go down and the rents would still go up.
Why would anyone have to meet Basran in another city to consult with him? He lives a few km's from downtown Kelowna and works in Kelowna, not Carrot River, Sask! He's probably closer to the voters than someone who lives on the Kelowna side of Beaver Lake Road! Since when do the electorate go to the homes of council members (or other politicians) to meet with them?
You have made your point...now please post something illuminating and cast your duncecap aside. :)

BTW, it's kind of strange but the more "blah, blah, blah" about where Basran lives has actually made me more receptive to voting for him...that can't be good, can it?! :137:
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
IlluminatiDunce
Posts: 53
Joined: Oct 23rd, 2011, 12:33 pm

Re: Colin Basran Doesn't Live In Kelowna

Post by IlluminatiDunce »

Economic fact, and I'm sure you know this, when property taxes go up, rents go up. Your argument that Basran is like non-property owners in Kelowna is completely worthless. Even renters would pay for Basran's tax increases all the while he would enjoy lower West Kelowna taxes.

Piecemaker you're a great guy, and let's do whatever we can so we get more councillors elected from other cities. We want a council that represents other cities, not us. Let's do it buddy! For West Kelowna!
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14212
Joined: Aug 12th, 2009, 7:13 pm

Re: Colin Basran Doesn't Live In Kelowna

Post by Logitack »

voters should contact their MLA and demand the local government act be amended to say that those wishing to run in local elections MUST be living in the city they wish to be a candidate in. after all, voters MUST live in the city to vote or have property in the city before they can vote! I am sure this was a unintended oversight by the Liberals, right?
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2635
Joined: Nov 19th, 2010, 7:51 am

Re: Colin Basran Doesn't Live In Kelowna

Post by Gilchy »

Logitack wrote:voters should contact their MLA and demand the local government act be amended to say that those wishing to run in local elections MUST be living in the city they wish to be a candidate in. after all, voters MUST live in the city to vote or have property in the city before they can vote! I am sure this was a unintended oversight by the Liberals, right?


As far as I know, it's not a restriction at any level. Look at the new NDP MP in Quebec who had never even been to her riding. http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/05/07/pol-ndp-brosseau-intvu.html

If people are willing to vote for a person, why does it matter where they live? Or, you know, blame it on the "Liberals", because it's clearly their fault.
johnwhittaker
Posts: 1
Joined: Mar 28th, 2008, 9:50 am

Re: Colin Basran Doesn't Live In Kelowna

Post by johnwhittaker »

Colin is heading totally towards Kelowna. He located West Kelowna because his wife worked in Penticton. Now she works in Kelowna Colin is making the change. Best to have had working individuals on your council?
thisisnoarooz
Posts: 1
Joined: Oct 13th, 2011, 8:49 pm

Re: Colin Basran Doesn't Live In Kelowna

Post by thisisnoarooz »

I read this thread and it bothers me to see that few have taken the time to look in to Colin Basran's history. AS far as I can find out he and his family are long time residents,third generation in this city as far as I can tell. Not to mention his family has had a large impact on this community. He grew up in the city and graduated from RSS.

Not to mention the issues he is running on and trying to change, are probably the ones that drove him from the city. He is a father and every one knows that Kelowna is a tough city to start a family in. For reasons like the high cost of housing, the lack of well paying jobs, plus other costs of living. I know a lot of who a have moved away for these reasons. So before you light him up for not living in Kelowna ask him why he doesn't and see if his reasons are the things he is trying to change so he can come back to the city.
Pookybear
Übergod
Posts: 1092
Joined: Jan 19th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Re: Colin Basran Doesn't Live In Kelowna

Post by Pookybear »

Just love all the one time only posters sticking up for their friend. This is why Kelowna politics is a joke. Nothing more then uninformed people voting for their friends. Simply a popularity contest. Get informed if you are going to vote or please do not vote!
purple8
Posts: 7
Joined: Aug 4th, 2009, 5:59 pm

Re: Colin Basran Doesn't Live In Kelowna

Post by purple8 »

Pookybear- Just because someone only has one post does NOT mean they do not have an opinion or a right to vote! Get off your high horse and find something better to do with your time!
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2635
Joined: Nov 19th, 2010, 7:51 am

Re: Colin Basran Doesn't Live In Kelowna

Post by Gilchy »

Pookybear wrote:Just love all the one time only posters sticking up for their friend. This is why Kelowna politics is a joke. Nothing more then uninformed people voting for their friends. Simply a popularity contest. Get informed if you are going to vote or please do not vote!


How's the view from that high horse? Of course people are going to support candidates they know and like, why is this an issue for you? And what about the previous poster's comment was uninformed?

I've never met Basran, but his explanation of why he lives where he does seems satisfactory to me. Someone who currently does business in Kelowna, and whose family has for generations, certainly seems like a viable candidate to me, even if he lives on the "wrong" side of the bridge.
Mortgage Specialist
Posts: 1
Joined: Oct 11th, 2011, 12:46 pm

Re: Colin Basran Doesn't Live In Kelowna

Post by Mortgage Specialist »

Even though Colin may not currently live this side of the bridge, that doesn't mean he doesn't care about our city. I have known Colin since we used to sing in the choir together in Rutland many many years ago. Even though he is currently living in West Kelowna, which is also a beautiful place to live, he still cares about the future of Kelowna. How many West Kelowna residents seldom cross the bridge to work, shop, play in Kelowna? Most of his family, friends, coworkers all reside in Kelowna and he is passionate about making sure the city that we may or may not live in is a safe place to be.

Kelowna needs a voice and advocate of someone who is young, vibrant, and cares passionately about it! The Basran's have deep roots in Kelowna and Colin is going to be the voice for me!
Pookybear
Übergod
Posts: 1092
Joined: Jan 19th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Re: Colin Basran Doesn't Live In Kelowna

Post by Pookybear »

Gilchy wrote:
Pookybear wrote:Just love all the one time only posters sticking up for their friend. This is why Kelowna politics is a joke. Nothing more then uninformed people voting for their friends. Simply a popularity contest. Get informed if you are going to vote or please do not vote!


How's the view from that high horse? Of course people are going to support candidates they know and like, why is this an issue for you? And what about the previous poster's comment was uninformed?

I've never met Basran, but his explanation of why he lives where he does seems satisfactory to me. Someone who currently does business in Kelowna, and whose family has for generations, certainly seems like a viable candidate to me, even if he lives on the "wrong" side of the bridge.


Oh boo hoo I've been told! If one is voting solely based on ones friendship with a candidate then that is not an informed vote. Period.
Can anyone explain to me how long a family has been here has any bearing on their competency to be a good candidate? By that thinking then no one that was not born here should be able to run. I am not completely against that reasoning to be honest.
Pookybear
Übergod
Posts: 1092
Joined: Jan 19th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Re: Colin Basran Doesn't Live In Kelowna

Post by Pookybear »

purple8 wrote:Pookybear- Just because someone only has one post does NOT mean they do not have an opinion or a right to vote! Get off your high horse and find something better to do with your time!


Sorry friend of Basran if you are offended but I am spending my time making sure who I vote for is an informed decision.
beachday
Posts: 43
Joined: Oct 16th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Re: Colin Basran Doesn't Live In Kelowna

Post by beachday »

Pookybear wrote:decision.


Dont even go there and start accusing me of something you know NOTHING about! I have never spoke to or met Basran nor do I know if I will vote for him yet but with you running your mouth the way you do, it is you that is un informed!

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”