Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

Charlie
Posts: 2
Joined: Nov 8th, 2010, 4:52 pm

Re: Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

Post by Charlie »

So pacific capital you are saying Sharon Shephard and her council are responsible for the downturn in the world economy. Also, just because something is approved (along with large tax breaks as you are suggesting), doesn't mean it will ever go ahead. Just look at Vintage Landing.
bvanexan
Posts: 2
Joined: Nov 7th, 2011, 12:50 pm

Re: Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

Post by bvanexan »

Lunari wrote:
...but if he wins this election myself and several other people I know are seriously considering moving away until a more fair, long-term and sustainability-minded mayor takes his place and this is not an idle claim. As beautiful as our weather is here, I would not want to live in a town run by a bigot that does not take the city's long-term well-being into consideration.



Fantastic well written post Lunari. Myself and others have also discussed moving out of town if Gray is elected.
richardtaylor1973
Posts: 65
Joined: Oct 20th, 2008, 12:44 pm

Re: Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

Post by richardtaylor1973 »

bvanexan wrote:Myself and others have also discussed moving out of town if Gray is elected.


Better get packing either way as [one of] the biggest driver[s] of our economy - private sector development and construction - will continue to flatline under Shepherd.
User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
Posts: 28548
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Re: Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

Post by grammafreddy »

richardtaylor1973 wrote:
bvanexan wrote:Myself and others have also discussed moving out of town if Gray is elected.


Better get packing either way as [one of] the biggest driver[s] of our economy - private sector development and construction - will continue to flatline under Shepherd.


As it will under Gray - because that is the nature of the beast in this economy.

Does he say HOW he will do what he says he can do? Does he say what his research has been and what avenues he will use to improve the economy here in Kelowna? Or does he just spout words and hope nobody looks too deeply into what he's saying?

When business and industry all over the world are feeling nervous about new ventures and hiring additional people, what does Gray say he can and will do to overcome that?

Oh, I know he says he will build high rises in the downtown core. Great! He couldn't get them built when he was mayor in a booming economy here and everything was in place in the zoning department (up to 20 storeys) for them - but none got built, did they?

One very simple fact remains ... he talks the talk but he won't walk the walk. He couldn't then and he won't now. It's all words and bluster because he knows people don't like the mess on Lawrence and Leon so he paints a pretty picture for them based on airy-fairy pie-in-the-sky go-nowhere crap. He can't fix that area with high rise towers - but he wants the electorate to believe he can.

Keep swallowing.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Mtn Biker
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 990
Joined: Apr 11th, 2008, 1:22 pm

Re: Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

Post by Mtn Biker »

grammafreddy wrote:
richardtaylor1973 wrote:
bvanexan wrote:Myself and others have also discussed moving out of town if Gray is elected.


Better get packing either way as [one of] the biggest driver[s] of our economy - private sector development and construction - will continue to flatline under Shepherd.


As it will under Gray - because that is the nature of the beast in this economy.

Does he say HOW he will do what he says he can do? Does he say what his research has been and what avenues he will use to improve the economy here in Kelowna? Or does he just spout words and hope nobody looks too deeply into what he's saying?

When business and industry all over the world are feeling nervous about new ventures and hiring additional people, what does Gray say he can and will do to overcome that?

Oh, I know he says he will build high rises in the downtown core. Great! He couldn't get them built when he was mayor in a booming economy here and everything was in place in the zoning department (up to 20 storeys) for them - but none got built, did they?

One very simple fact remains ... he talks the talk but he won't walk the walk. He couldn't then and he won't now. It's all words and bluster because he knows people don't like the mess on Lawrence and Leon so he paints a pretty picture for them based on airy-fairy pie-in-the-sky go-nowhere crap. He can't fix that area with high rise towers - but he wants the electorate to believe he can.

Keep swallowing.



Exactly GF. I was there last night to witness what I had heard in the past. Like when Wally was asked by Shepherd at the forum where candidates could ask another a question and Wally said he won't be mayor in 20 years answer . . . reports are that he also tossed the page the question was on in a flip motion suggesting Shepherd's question wasn't worth his time. Can you spell arrogant and pompous? He's smooth, articulate, and a poser. There is nothing of substance in anything he says; it's just say what people want to hear, but I'll do what I want if I get a chance, and my friends will be loving me again. Integrity is important, and Wally shows none. Like refusing to answer three direct questions last night because they would show his colors. He doesn't have the brass to be honest, but you can count on him being himself if he gets back in.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2649
Joined: Mar 29th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Re: Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

Post by 36Drew »

mugglesbc wrote:So pacific capital you are saying Sharon Shephard and her council are responsible for the downturn in the world economy. Also, just because something is approved (along with large tax breaks as you are suggesting), doesn't mean it will ever go ahead. Just look at Vintage Landing.


Western Star....
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
User avatar
pacificcapital
Posts: 31
Joined: Oct 18th, 2011, 10:10 pm

Re: Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

Post by pacificcapital »

There was one loaded question about how Sharon was not doing a good job, which is very obvious. Can you say downtown, lack of leadership and lets go with umm how about Logo fiasco? That satisfy that. Walter did not want to be negative as he has more dignity than that. Sharon and her current Council have been a huge result of the current ghetto that's currently our downtown. She has stated in two recent forums she is okay with downtown. She is quite happy with it? Say what? Absolutely without question, you cant blame it all on World economy which I actually know lots about this subject. Kelowna was one of the last Cities in the Country to pull out of the recession and Sharon's taxes have been far higher than inflation every year since she has been Mayor. Sorry folks those are the facts, the writing is on the wall. And without being cruel, just stating the obvious. We all know what happens when a Sports team only plays defense and not offense, they cant win. Its the same as Sharon and you Sharon supporters. Your on the defense, we have you on the run like scared chickens "pardon the pun" Chicken coops in backyards oh there's a fourth reason Sharon needs to go!

36Drew wrote:
mugglesbc wrote:So pacific capital you are saying Sharon Shephard and her council are responsible for the downturn in the world economy. Also, just because something is approved (along with large tax breaks as you are suggesting), doesn't mean it will ever go ahead. Just look at Vintage Landing.


Western Star....
User avatar
pacificcapital
Posts: 31
Joined: Oct 18th, 2011, 10:10 pm

Re: Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

Post by pacificcapital »

Yes I am actually saying they are largely responsibility for the downtown, but lets not just stop at downtown all over Kelowna. Plus the City has been very irresponsible on how money has been spent. A Logo change no one asked for. (Where were her committees on that one?) They even had a legal issue with Logo. So that cost more money in legal fees. Last night after all the boos towards her regarding the Logo fiasco Sharon said perhaps we should now change this current logo, OMG you joking? What a waste of money. She even lost some of her own supporters last night. We saw a few taking off there Sharon badges in disbelief. They are now Walter Supporters, because he answers the questions and doesn't waffle under pressure. The City has the same number of staff in the development part of the City that it did back when Walter was Mayor. There is far less development now and yet the same number of staff? Any savvy Council would have let some of the staff go. Although I guess it makes the jobs easier at City hall, at tax payers expense.

2-1 odds Walter Wins mayor race?

Go Walter Go!
Mtn Biker
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 990
Joined: Apr 11th, 2008, 1:22 pm

Re: Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

Post by Mtn Biker »

pacificcapital wrote:There was one loaded question about how Sharon was not doing a good job, which is very obvious. Can you say downtown, lack of leadership and lets go with umm how about Logo fiasco? That satisfy that. Walter did not want to be negative as he has more dignity than that. Sharon and her current Council have been a huge result of the current ghetto that's currently our downtown. She has stated in two recent forums she is okay with downtown. She is quite happy with it? Say what? Absolutely without question, you cant blame it all on World economy which I actually know lots about this subject. Kelowna was one of the last Cities in the Country to pull out of the recession and Sharon's taxes have been far higher than inflation every year since she has been Mayor. Sorry folks those are the facts, the writing is on the wall. And without being cruel, just stating the obvious. We all know what happens when a Sports team only plays defense and not offense, they cant win. Its the same as Sharon and you Sharon supporters. Your on the defense, we have you on the run like scared chickens "pardon the pun" Chicken coops in backyards oh there's a fourth reason Sharon needs to go!

36Drew wrote:
mugglesbc wrote:So pacific capital you are saying Sharon Shephard and her council are responsible for the downturn in the world economy. Also, just because something is approved (along with large tax breaks as you are suggesting), doesn't mean it will ever go ahead. Just look at Vintage Landing.



Western Star....


Hmm, I've live downtown for 15 plus years, and other than the bar flush problem, the downtown core feels more inviting and comfortable than it has ever. This began when Shepherd took the mayor's seat and it has nothing to do with building high-rises or sucking up lakeshore, it was as simple as removing trash bins and cleaning things up. Taxes are up because the federal government threw out money, but it had to be matched too. To think that any other person in the mayor seat wouldn’t have done so, is naïve. You have higher taxes because you have an: expanded hwy 33, bridge on Gordon, H20 centre, bike paths, widening of Harvey, Clement and Cawston linear, on and on. There are always things that could have been done, and the logo is not a smooth move, but neither is getting sued by your own citizens.
Takin it easy !
Übergod
Posts: 1381
Joined: May 3rd, 2008, 5:52 am

Re: Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

Post by Takin it easy ! »

Just a question "pacificcapital" do you own a business or manage a company in downtown Kelowna ?
EdCase
Board Meister
Posts: 416
Joined: Sep 16th, 2011, 11:16 am

Re: Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

Post by EdCase »

richardtaylor1973 wrote:
bvanexan wrote:Myself and others have also discussed moving out of town if Gray is elected.


Better get packing either way as [one of] the biggest driver[s] of our economy - private sector development and construction - will continue to flatline under Shepherd.


I just cannot understand this myth that Gray is some kind of knight in shining armour who will lead us into a bright economic future.

The seeds of our economic malaise were planted many years ago by Gray & his predecessor. Neither had - or in Gray's case, has - any concept of an integrated economic development strategy is or how to implement it. They rode a speculative real estate boom and did nothing to attract long-term high value business investment to Kelowna: all bubbles burst and we are now paying the price for Gray's neglect of this vital initiative.

As for his blather last night about an un-named company that chose a US location for 220 manufacturing jobs, he did not specify the reasons for their decision other than to imply they were not made to feel welcome by city hall. Over the years, there have been a number of other companies that have considered the Okanagan for manufacturing plants but have concluded that our remoteness from key raw materials and high freight costs make us non-competitive. Lack of skilled labour has been another key issue and well-qualified people have been reluctant to move here because of limited alternative employment opportunities should their original job not work out.

Gray and the current council have all dropped the ball with regard to economic development in Kelowna. It's why I will not be voting for him and most of the incumbents: we need fresh thinking!
Takin it easy !
Übergod
Posts: 1381
Joined: May 3rd, 2008, 5:52 am

Re: Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

Post by Takin it easy ! »

Takin it easy ! wrote:Just a question "pacificcapital" do you own a business or manage a company in downtown Kelowna ?
Hmmmmmmmmmm ! no reply ?
User avatar
pacificcapital
Posts: 31
Joined: Oct 18th, 2011, 10:10 pm

Re: Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

Post by pacificcapital »

I own several businesses but what and where I do my business respectfully is my personal business. There are too many crazy castanet haters in here for me to give out personal information. I will say I do know about a dozen business owners and managers in downtown Kelowna. There all very unhappy with Sharon and the current Council. They all say pretty much the same thing, Sharon is a nice lady but not a good business person and leader. Even more disturbing is Sharon's recent comments in two forums that she is happy with downtown? :ohmygod: I think Sharon's standard is far lower than Walters. There just in two different leagues. Sharon plays for the minors and Walter plays for the Majors. Sharon does not have the same Federal and Provincial connections Walter has. She doesn't know how to go after the funds available and the new Council has left dough on the table that was once available to the City thanks to Walter. Walter can get that money back.

I personally do not feel safe walking at night downtown. Sharon has been pretty vocal and critical with the Police in Kelowna. Rather than support the police she has showed up to Anti police rally's. Walter is a huge supporter of police on the other hand and would like to increase police officers in this City which we all know costs money. How will he increase police and lower tax dollars when policing makes up about 25% of the City's budget? Here is basic economics 101. Walter will fuel the economy in the private sector. Walter will also go after federal and provincial funds available. The only way to attract new business in the seedy areas of downtown is tax breaks. Who in the heck wants to go there otherwise, would you? Walter understands this. Its a real shame to hear Sharon and the current Council turned away an Industrial business that would have generated 230 plus jobs in Kelowna. I am actually very familiar with this Company I will add. They are still a local Company that has its operations in Chicago. How sad! Don't worry when Walter gets elected we will try and at least get some of this business in Kelowna.

Takin it easy ! wrote:Just a question "pacificcapital" do you own a business or manage a company in downtown Kelowna ?
Last edited by pacificcapital on Nov 8th, 2011, 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
pacificcapital
Posts: 31
Joined: Oct 18th, 2011, 10:10 pm

Re: Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

Post by pacificcapital »

sorry for a reply that only took 15 minutes I do have business to run though and will have to tend to that from time to time. What about you are you unemployed? You seem to have considerable time on your hands. You should want Walter to get in as Mayor so he can create more jobs in town. Maybe then you can focus your energies in the work force. Perhaps you can get a job at the big business the current Council turned away. There will be high paying jobs there.
EdCase
Board Meister
Posts: 416
Joined: Sep 16th, 2011, 11:16 am

Re: Why I'm NOT Voting for Walter Gray

Post by EdCase »

pacificcapital wrote:I own several businesses but what and where I do my business respectfully is my personal business. There are too many crazy castanet haters in here for me to give out personal information. I will say I do know about a dozen business owners and managers in downtown Kelowna. There all very unhappy with Sharon and the current Council. They all say pretty much the same thing, Sharon is a nice lady but not a good business person and leader. Even more disturbing is Sharon's recent comments in two forums that she is happy with downtown? :ohmygod: I think Sharon's standard is far lower than Walters. There just in two different leagues. Sharon plays for the minors and Walter plays for the Majors. Sharon does not have the same Federal and Provincial connections Walter has. She doesn't know how to go after the funds available and the new Council has left dough on the table that was once available to the City thanks to Walter. Walter can get that money back.

I personally do not feel safe walking at night downtown. Sharon has been pretty vocal and critical with the Police in Kelowna. Rather than support the police she has showed up to Anti police rally's. Walter is a huge supporter of police on the other hand and would like to increase police officers in this City which we all know costs money. How will he increase police and lower tax dollars when policing makes up about 25% of the City's budget? Here is basic economics 101. Walter will fuel the economy in the private sector. Walter will also go after federal and provincial funds available. The only way to attract new business in the seedy areas of downtown is tax breaks. Who in the heck wants to go there otherwise, would you? Walter understands this. Its a real shame to hear Sharon and the current Council turned away an Industrial business that would have generated 230 plus jobs in Kelowna. I am actually very familiar with this Company I will add. They are still a local Company that has its operations in Chicago. How sad! Don't worry when Walter gets elected we will try and at least get some of this business in Kelowna.

Takin it easy ! wrote:Just a question "pacificcapital" do you own a business or manage a company in downtown Kelowna ?


Just like your buddy, Walter; lot's of talk, lots of insinuation but no specifics.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”