Narrowing the field of 40.

richardtaylor1973

Narrowing the field of 40.

Post by richardtaylor1973 »

At last night's Mayoral debate, hosted by the Daily Courier, only the two front runners (Shepherd, Gray) were invited to take part. Jon Manchester stated that "without any doubt the next Mayor of Kelowna is on this stage". For various reasons, as mentioned in another thread, I applaud this decision.

The question I have now is this. If we were to have a hypothetical council debate, in the same ratio: 2 candidates for each seat available, without going in to the merits of the candidates who would forum members put down as the 16 front runners.

Here's my thoughts:

1 - 8 The incumbents. Obvious reason being that only 1 incumbent in the entire history of Kelowna has ever lost their seat at election.

9 - 12 The four candidates endorsed by Fourchange. Basran, Gran, Given, Zimmerman. Not just for that reason. They would have been there anyway.

13 -14 DeHart & Singh - Based primarily on name recognition from media.

15 - McFadden - Well known in business community.

16 - Thorburn - Well known via anti-HST work, which will have endeared him to a significant majority.

Interested to hear the thoughts of others.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Narrowing the field of 40.

Post by Relentless »

I will definately not consider our existing mayor Shepherd, the fossil Walter Gray or any one other than Cal Condy for Mayor.
Condy will devote his life towards being Mayor, and make changes immediately to help the citizens.
We need a Mayor that is not pre-occupied with other employment, and is representing us as a hobby.
We need councillors who are going to show up at all meetings, and even want to show up at extra meetings to prove that they are really interested in resolving issues.

While our present council has a beautiful place to hold meetings, the room is empty for most of the year because our present council is not interested in having more public input, where the first thing Condy wants is to have more interaction with residents by having tons more meetings to actually resolve issues. The same applies for our pre-occupied group of councillors who cant even make most of the scheduled meetings.

Mary-Ann Graham, Robert Hobson, Charlie Hodge, Dan Thorburn, and Scott Ross will make good councillors.

Rolli Cacchioni and Larry Gray will do right for School District 23.
Aluminium

Post by Aluminium »

Scott Ross. I strongly feel that he would be an effective addition on council. In narrowing down my choices and eliminating candidates, I have kept 4 main points in mind that are important to me personally:

1. Job Creation
2. Crime
3. The candidates education
4. Foresight to the need for strengthened ties with Victoria and Ottawa and the reasonable ability to nurture these relationships.

I envision Scott Ross as a suitable replacement for Kevin Craig.
richardtaylor1973

Post by richardtaylor1973 »

Appreciate the responses, but they are not really answering my question. I'd like to get a feeling for who people see as the front runners - not who they will be voting for them selves. Who do you think stands a realistic chance of knocking out an incumbent? Or, put another way - if NONE of the incumbents were running, who do you predict would make up the next council?
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

richardtaylor1973 wrote:Appreciate the responses, but they are not really answering my question. I'd like to get a feeling for who people see as the front runners - not who they will be voting for them selves. Who do you think stands a realistic chance of knocking out an incumbent? Or, put another way - if NONE of the incumbents were running, who do you predict would make up the next council?

Incumbents most likely to be re-elected: Stack, Hobson, Rule

Likely to be elected based purely on name recognition, no other qualification: Zimmerman

Name recognition a factor, may have other potential: Basran, Given, Singh, DeHart

Showing strong understanding of issues & gaining traction: Gow, Thompson, Kennedy

Not quite an answer to your question but I do see these candidates as having strength right now. That said, the situation is still very fluid: Basran, for example, seems to be fading and rumours are that FourChange is regretting its endorsement. Herrington is a dark horse but the focus on the logo issue is hurting him.

As to the other incumbents, the feeling is that Blanleil, Hodge, Craig & Reid-Nagy are in difficulty and I've never heard so many people saying that they want to clean house: incumbency may be a liability in this election.
watchingfromthesidelines

Post by watchingfromthesidelines »

quote="richardtaylor1973"]Appreciate the responses, but they are not really answering my question. I'd like to get a feeling for who people see as the front runners - not who they will be voting for them selves. Who do you think stands a realistic chance of knocking out an incumbent? Or, put another way - if NONE of the incumbents were running, who do you predict would make up the next council?[/quote]

I agree with Ed Case on the incumbents however think that in addition to Stack, Hobson, and Rule, Andre is another shoe-in strictly because of his business in town and the support he's garnered through that. Hodge is also another "could be" because of his support channels in arts & media. Zimmerman, Basran & Givens will round it out.

If I could pick a team out of everyone, I would like to see McFadden, Mabey, James, Givens, Stack, Kennedy, Ross and Rule, I think this team brings a combination of strengths, age groups and covers the gamut of issues that need to be addressed. I really like the idea of a ward system for future consideration as well as on-line voting, and some of the other issues that have been covered by these candidates mentioned. Just my 2 cents as no doubt everyone coming on here, has their own rationale and beliefs on who makes the best team. That's what voting Nov.19th is so important. And thankfully, council will be decided by more than just the few people who make up these forums.
SimonShaw
Fledgling

Post by SimonShaw »

Check out the polls and cast your vote at:

http://www.okanaganpolls.ca

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”