Your opinion?

Takin it easy !
Übergod

Your opinion?

Post by Takin it easy ! »

Just wondering about your observations and opinions on FourChange and their picks for council at this point in the game ?
koivu11

Re: Your opinion ?

Post by koivu11 »

i see the fourchange/forshame.org group as the kelowna equivilant of the american tea party. an attempt at frightening the masses into giving up their right to free choice .

kelowna do not believe their nonsense nor fall for their lies, make up your own minds . take a minute to read a few bios on line . please do not let these bullies (who are spending tens of thousands of dollars on advertising ) tell you what to do . that would be in their best interest not ours.

on november 19th , pleae vote for the people that you want , not those who's election would benefit others . it is time for kelowna to grow up and think of the interests of all over the back room deals of a few !!

personally i will not support any fourchange choices , and will vote for those on council that they have targeted . i am so angry with their tactics that this seems like the best way to express my absolute disdain for this "group".

fourchange = for greed
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

Takin it easy ! wrote:Just wondering about your observations and opinions on FourChange and their picks for council at this point in the game ?

FourChange.org are what is known as an Astroturf organization http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing: they claim to be grass roots but have a real agenda to ensure that candidates under their control get elected. Their stated concern is that the current council isn't business friendly and that these candidates will address this problem. Their real agenda is to get Gray reelected with a group of compliant councillors who will do their bidding; that being to revive CD21.

Let's look at their candidates to see what business expertise they bring:

Gerry Zimmerman - retired Fire Chief with no business experience: chosen because of his name recognition only.

Carol Gran - career politician, limited business experience.

Colin Basran - ex-TV reporter, chosen primarily for name recognition: has limited commercial experience as realtor.

Gail Given - again, name recognition from her deceased husband; has some commercial experience in retail.

This is hardly a stellar showing in terms of solid business experience!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Okey. Okey. But it is now time to recommend other candidates-stick with the current council or add others?

The same 'business' takeover may be happening at the school board level.

Make sure you read bios and/or suggest recommendations there also.

The City of Kelowna site has all basic info-READ carefully!

Pass these on to Facebook/Twitter/email friends etc.

There seems to be a lot of uncertainty out there.
thodge

Post by thodge »

I do not write in the Castanet forums, however I am a regular follower. This is my first submission.
I feel the need to share my story with all of you. As the wife of a ‘politician’ you learn to tune out and ignore negative comments about your spouse during an election, or any other time for that matter. When your spouse runs for council (or is a current councillor) you sign on for the job as the support person. Your life becomes public and that is part of the deal. However today was disturbing.
Charlie and I decided to attend the Christmas Craft event at Prospera Place. With all the meetings and campaigning we thought we’d spend a short few hours together ‘away’ from the campaign trail. We recognized that such a public event would not be ‘private’ and that it was certainly opportunistic to go there and see people. However we felt it would be a fun, pretty much political-free event. We never expected political booths set up at a Christmas fair. We were excited about the event because we’re both absolutely nuts about Christmas.
Immediately after arriving at Prospera Place I was informed by a vendor/friend there was, “a couple of political booths” at the Fair. She was angered because she felt it contravened both the spirit and the guidelines - especially the strict rules about having to sell ‘homemade goods’. (I guess you could say Walter was a ‘homemade good’). She was quite upset that this was supposed to be about Christmas and sharing homemade wears with the public. This was not a place to sell politics.
Being somewhat prepared that at any given moment I was going to turn to see the Walter Gray booth I was not prepared for what I DID see coming around the corner, a very large TV screen showing a promotional video by the Four Change Group - manned by one of the ‘chosen’ candidates. There they were in all their glory selling their biased rhetoric.
I was ready to cry. I wanted a few hours to spend some time with my husband getting into the spirit of Christmas. Instead I saw a video designed to help ‘get rid’ of my husband and three others. Not exactly on my NICE list for Christmas.
It is bad enough the four targeted for removal have been constantly insulted publically and (not so well) privately - but to invade a Christmas Fair with such negativity and mean spiritedness is just Grinch- like. Pretty classless ‘leadership’ and ‘team building’ in my mind.
I am disappointed in the organizers of this event as I believe it was meant for small business people to share their products and encourage Christmas spirit. The Four Change Group has displayed little class or respect for others. They don’t fight with facts. Is that who I want running my town?
I conclude this by saying I am the most blessed person in the world to have such a class act like Charlie Hodge in my life and on city council representing those without a voice. He lives what he says.
You may have tainted a shopping day but you will never take away the Christmas spirit.
Teresa Hodge
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Teresa ... I agree with you. Tacky, tacky, tacky. And sleazy, too.

"Selling" their politics at an event like that kinda sorta cements what I have felt about them from the beginning (both 4C and Mr Gray) - it ain't about the "little guy" or the "you and me" kinda people where they are concerned.

I absolutely refuse to allow them to "sell off to the highest bidder" the best this town has to offer - it's low to middle-class people. WE are what makes this city so great.

And WE don't need 4Change and their big city agenda to make things better here. There ARE other excellent choices running for council who understand and can get the job done.

I do most sincerely hope you enjoy your Christmas.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ub2 »

Well Teresa, Wally's campaign exposure seams to have saturated the city like a bad stink. It's too bad you had to experience it the way you did. If I would have attended the event I wouldn't have liked it either.

In my opinion, fourchange and Walter are living up to their reputation as political bullies - intent on hijacking this election.

For what it's worth, I will be voting for Charlie and the existing council members, with the exception of Andre Blanleil and possibly Kevin Craig.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

unbiased2 wrote:For what it's worth, I will be voting for Charlie and the existing council members, with the exception of Andre Blanleil and possibly Kevin Craig.

See, you're quite fine with voicing your opinion on who should be running the city, why shouldn't groups like 4Change do the same?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ub2 »

Captain Awesome wrote:
unbiased2 wrote:For what it's worth, I will be voting for Charlie and the existing council members, with the exception of Andre Blanleil and possibly Kevin Craig.

See, you're quite fine with voicing your opinion on who should be running the city, why shouldn't groups like 4Change do the same?

4change as you know is mainly a group of wealthy business people representing themselves. I don't like their intent in this election, or the way they're going about it. I believe, their desire for change is for their own self-interest. If they have their way, you would have an unelected group of individuals having undue influence over mayor and council, with no balance, leaving the rest of us residents poorly represented.

So they are much more than just another group voicing an opinion . . . in my opinion.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

unbiased2 wrote:I believe, their desire for change is for their own self-interest.

Just like every other voter.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Your opinion?

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I imagine that your shock and horror at a politically-motivated group telling people who to vote for will be triggered just as equally by this:

What difference can one vote make? PLENTY!

Voter turnout in recent local government elections (for municipal council and school bords) has been very low. This sends out the message that what is happening is not very important. But we know better.

CUPE members need to be full participants to make sure our communities stay strong. We need to know that those who we elect care as much about our communities as we do.

So on November 19, let's change the trend: let's get out and vote! Talk to your family members, your co-workers, and other CUPE members, and make sure they get out and vote as well.

CUPE Local 338 are endorsing the following candidates:
- Colin Basran - Kelowna City Council
- Graeme James- Kelowna City Council
- Larry Gray - Kelowna School Trustee
- Will Gow - Kelowna City Council

We urge you to make your voice heard in the upcoming Civic Election and to support our endorsed candidates.
http://cupe338.ca/www/political-action-committee/MakeADifference
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

GB, you should be happy, cupe and 4change agree on tswo of their endorsements! :dyinglaughing:
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Logitack wrote:GB, you should be happy, cupe and 4change agree on tswo of their endorsements! :dyinglaughing:

I should be happy? Why - because now all the union lovers are confused because they hate Basran but have to vote for him because their union won't allow independent thought or action? I guess that does make me kind of happy.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

your preoccupation with unions is hilarious. the fact is CUPE endorses TWO candidates that 4 change has also endorsed, there is AGREEMENT between your hatred for unions and my hatred for 4change!

the difference is that I wont support 4change endorsements and therefore will not support the union endorsement!
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Post by Takin it easy ! »

thodge wrote:I do not write in the Castanet forums, however I am a regular follower. This is my first submission.
I feel the need to share my story with all of you. As the wife of a ‘politician’ you learn to tune out and ignore negative comments about your spouse during an election, or any other time for that matter. When your spouse runs for council (or is a current councillor) you sign on for the job as the support person. Your life becomes public and that is part of the deal. However today was disturbing.
Charlie and I decided to attend the Christmas Craft event at Prospera Place. With all the meetings and campaigning we thought we’d spend a short few hours together ‘away’ from the campaign trail. We recognized that such a public event would not be ‘private’ and that it was certainly opportunistic to go there and see people. However we felt it would be a fun, pretty much political-free event. We never expected political booths set up at a Christmas fair. We were excited about the event because we’re both absolutely nuts about Christmas.
Immediately after arriving at Prospera Place I was informed by a vendor/friend there was, “a couple of political booths” at the Fair. She was angered because she felt it contravened both the spirit and the guidelines - especially the strict rules about having to sell ‘homemade goods’. (I guess you could say Walter was a ‘homemade good’). She was quite upset that this was supposed to be about Christmas and sharing homemade wears with the public. This was not a place to sell politics.
Being somewhat prepared that at any given moment I was going to turn to see the Walter Gray booth I was not prepared for what I DID see coming around the corner, a very large TV screen showing a promotional video by the Four Change Group - manned by one of the ‘chosen’ candidates. There they were in all their glory selling their biased rhetoric.
I was ready to cry. I wanted a few hours to spend some time with my husband getting into the spirit of Christmas. Instead I saw a video designed to help ‘get rid’ of my husband and three others. Not exactly on my NICE list for Christmas.
It is bad enough the four targeted for removal have been constantly insulted publically and (not so well) privately - but to invade a Christmas Fair with such negativity and mean spiritedness is just Grinch- like. Pretty classless ‘leadership’ and ‘team building’ in my mind.
I am disappointed in the organizers of this event as I believe it was meant for small business people to share their products and encourage Christmas spirit. The Four Change Group has displayed little class or respect for others. They don’t fight with facts. Is that who I want running my town?
I conclude this by saying I am the most blessed person in the world to have such a class act like Charlie Hodge in my life and on city council representing those without a voice. He lives what he says.
You may have tainted a shopping day but you will never take away the Christmas spirit.
Teresa Hodge
Thank you for sharing this with us Teresa I realize it takes a lot to reach out and share this with everyone that uses these forums.
The FourChange gang as I have stated many times has one objective and that is to place puppets on council that will do their bidding and make the players a lot of cash with no regard for the City or the average citizen.
If you take a look at their website you will see they have endorsed some already on council and in my opinion these are people that they already have in their pocket.
The new picks are those they can count on to further their aspirations(namely line their pockets)and those of developer friends.
I only hope the people of our City can see this and that FourChange is trying to pull the wool over voters eyes with a campaign totally based on promotion,hype,fearmongering,greed and selfishness.
I was covinced that your husband (Charlie Hodge) was the kind of person that I will vote for and that remains.
I just wanted to say that FourChange and their gang may be wealthy and arrogant but Charlie has two things they will never have and that's the citizens of Kelowna's best interests at heart and "Class"

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”