One issue voters

commonsense65
Posts: 28
Joined: Aug 7th, 2010, 1:19 pm

One issue voters

Post by commonsense65 »

I cant believe how so many people in Kelowna are basing their votes on one issue items... Sad but I have had a few good chuckles over the last month! I watch politics, deal with politics and and actually ok with the way our city is currently being run if you look at all the issues council and Mayor are faced with. To bad voters dont take a hard look of where we have moved with Shepherd and this council. What really makes me chuckle is how many new candidates attended Rememberance Day this year just to poise and grand stand. I know because im there every year!! Im sure a few will slam my post but thats ok, it wouldnt be normal if they didnt! I know Im supporting most of council and definetely Shepherd over Gray. Cant say Craig has stepped up to do anything or Reid either and Andre never has and never will get my vote unless were on survivor together and it will be a vote to remove him!!
Chris Brown 66
Posts: 22
Joined: May 8th, 2010, 5:21 pm

Re: ONE ISSUE VOTERS

Post by Chris Brown 66 »

When it comes to voting one must look at one has done for their community. Rutland needs a voice and there is only one candidate from Rutland that has been active in the community in many different ways. By active I dont mean just by belonging to organizations I mean by actually being involved doing the work and helping. Mary-Ann Grahm is this person, she is at every event in Rutland not just being there but help and in many cases being on the organiztion team. This year Mary-Ann attended Remebrance Day ceremonies like she does every year. Mary-Ann Grahm was on the committee via the Rutland Residents Association, of which she is president, that helped with the vast improvments to Lions Parkwhere the cenotaph is in Rutland.
sunnybeach
Posts: 10
Joined: Oct 29th, 2008, 10:31 am

Re: ONE ISSUE VOTERS

Post by sunnybeach »

Yes would love to have a councillor from Rutland,but they better look after the WHOLE city.Has this lady ever been to the Rememberance Day Ceremony in City Park? BTW Chris dont you work for her?
User avatar
dbthorburn
Posts: 41
Joined: Aug 19th, 2008, 3:52 pm

Re: ONE ISSUE VOTERS

Post by dbthorburn »

sunnybeach wrote:Yes would love to have a councillor from Rutland,but they better look after the WHOLE city.Has this lady ever been to the Rememberance Day Ceremony in City Park? BTW Chris dont you work for her?


Hi, I believe you mean Dan Thorburn. He lives in Rutland on Springfield (between Gerstmar and Quigley) and would love to represent his Rutland neighbourhood, as well as all of Kelowna.

To see how many issues Dan has innovative solutions for, check out his last post:

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=36387

Thanks,

Dan Thorburn
Elect Dan Thorburn for Kelowna City Councillor
http://www.DanThorburn.com
+1.250.864.1385

Image
User avatar
Dayleen
Board Meister
Posts: 436
Joined: Jul 14th, 2005, 4:55 pm

Re: ONE ISSUE VOTERS

Post by Dayleen »

I'm also from the Rutland area. Right on the corner of Garner Road & Highway 33 where I own and operate the only Organic Aquatic Nursery in the Okanagan and the largest Water Garden & Koi Destination in Canada.

I am a completely self made, entrepreneur and business woman. I succeed in all that i do, because I'm a firm believer in "nothing good comes easy" I was brought up with old school beliefs, where your word means everything and you do what you say you're going to do!

What some people may not know about me, is that I had originally intended on a career in Corporate Law. Unfortunately, my Mom got really ill and I decided to change my focus, and look after her. I don't regret the change of direction my life took, because my Mom is ok and because I believe things happen for a reason. I have to say, looking back, I'd prefer listening to the sound of waterfalls to the sound of bickering in a boardroom.

I have a very strong business sense, the entrepreneur in me sees things differently. It's the ability to think on the run, problem solve and find a way to turn your idea into reality. This makes me perfectly suited to council. I have experience doing business Internationally and with millions of dollars in revenue. As a business owner you learn to work with what you have and make it work. You have to be able to prioritize and budget your money. You are accountable to shareholders, suppliers and staff, otherwise you're no longer in business! This is another experience needed in council.

As a candidate from the Rutland area i know that I will be responsible to ALL the residents in Kelowna and I look forward to being able to help bring "your" voice to the Council Chambers.

Together we can turn Kelowna into the Vibrant and Prosperous community we all know it can be! Please consider me for your VOTE November 19th

Dayleen Van Ryswyk
For Kelowna City Council
250-765-5641
For more on my platform, please see my campaign web site http://www.dayleenvanryswyk.com
chloeskates
Posts: 11
Joined: Oct 23rd, 2011, 8:26 pm

Re: ONE ISSUE VOTERS

Post by chloeskates »

dbthorburn wrote:
sunnybeach wrote:Yes would love to have a councillor from Rutland,but they better look after the WHOLE city.Has this lady ever been to the Rememberance Day Ceremony in City Park? BTW Chris dont you work for her?


Hi, I believe you mean Dan Thorburn. He lives in Rutland on Springfield (between Gerstmar and Quigley) and would love to represent his Rutland neighbourhood, as well as all of Kelowna.

To see how many issues Dan has innovative solutions for, check out his last post:

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=36387

Thanks,

Dan Thorburn
Elect Dan Thorburn for Kelowna City Councillor
http://www.DanThorburn.com
+1.250.864.1385

Image


You probably shouldn't have been wearing your election button at the Remembrance Day Ceremony... lost my vote.
koivu11
Posts: 38
Joined: Oct 15th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Re: ONE ISSUE VOTERS

Post by koivu11 »

neither you or your friend who blew cigarette smoke in my 20 month old sons face should have been wearing campaign buttons on november 11th . i could not agree more , november 11th is a time for us all to recall the ultimate price others have paid , so that we can sit here and wonder if 15 % of the population will be willing to exercise their right to vote .

the later is a sad state of affairs , former a lack of class .

sorry you were in the running , but you lost my vote . ( do like your black overcoat however)
User avatar
dbthorburn
Posts: 41
Joined: Aug 19th, 2008, 3:52 pm

Re: ONE ISSUE VOTERS

Post by dbthorburn »

koivu11 wrote:neither you or your friend who blew cigarette smoke in my 20 month old sons face should have been wearing campaign buttons on november 11th . i could not agree more , november 11th is a time for us all to recall the ultimate price others have paid , so that we can sit here and wonder if 15 % of the population will be willing to exercise their right to vote .

the later is a sad state of affairs , former a lack of class .

sorry you were in the running , but you lost my vote . ( do like your black overcoat however)


I'm truly sorry and apologize for both unfortunate occurences. Unfortunately, I'm not a seasoned politician - nor do I spend a lot of time thinking about being politically correct. I do, however, spend a lot of time thinking about past and current conflicts, and the terribly unnecessary loss of life, on all sides of the battlefields. I grew up in Ethiopia during their horrendous civil war, lived in India during the first Gulf War, and also experienced the mass genocide and exodus of Rwanda when I lived in Tanzania.

I hope you'll forgive the fact that I didn't have the same type of upbringing as most people in North America. I have been known to make innocently ignorant faux pas' before, however I do always have the integrity to learn from my mistakes.

For example, there was one time that I had gone to church with my aunt Judy, and the usher kindly asked me to bring up the gifts. When the usher wheeled out the trolley with the gifts and summoned for me to attend, I walked up to the trolley and discovered that I couldn't carry both the bread and the wine. Not realizing the proper protocol, I started to wheel the trolley down the very loud tile floor towards the altar, quickly realizing that I had just gained the piercing attention of every head in church. Well, that was embarassing. Needless to say, the next time the usher asked me to deliver the gifts, I made sure that I paired up with a buddy.

As for my brother, Anthony, smoking around you and your family, I'm very sorry about that. I've talked to him about it, and I strongly encourage him not to smoke at all. There's not much else I can say, other than the fact that he is 19 years old.

Most sincerely,

Dan Thorburn
Elect Dan Thorburn for Kelowna City Councillor
http://www.DanThorburn.com
+1.250.864.1385

"If you don't make mistakes, you aren't really trying."
~ Coleman Hawking
commonsense65
Posts: 28
Joined: Aug 7th, 2010, 1:19 pm

Re: ONE ISSUE VOTERS

Post by commonsense65 »

Interesting to find out everyone all the candidates just talk about policing under public safety yet never mention the fire department being completely out of resourses whenever there is a apartment fire and nearly delpeted every house fire. I have just learned that Shepherd and council adopted a plan to build and staff another firehall in Glenmore by 2016. I doubt that will happen with Gray and associates!
User avatar
Dayleen
Board Meister
Posts: 436
Joined: Jul 14th, 2005, 4:55 pm

Re: ONE ISSUE VOTERS

Post by Dayleen »

All the candidates were invited to a meet and greet last night hosted by the paid on-call fire department. Unfortunately not all the candidates took advantage (show up) and learning more about this group. I for one was quite surprised as to the challenges they face everyday. I'm very pleased to hear (at the meeting) that there will be a fire hall in the Glenmore area. It will hopefully employ about 18-24 fire fighters. Hopefully some of the current on-call's will be able to take some of those spots.

What i was shocked to hear from some of the on-call people is what their pay scale is. I won't say what it was but suffice to say i pay my 14 year old better when he helps in my business. I find this disgraceful on so many levels, but especially when you consider what these people contribute to our community everyday. Not to mention the fact that they are putting their lives on the line everyday keeping us safe. We really need to take a look at their pay and adjust it more in-line to their counterparts. This will be a priority to me if I'm elected to council and something i will still be an advocate for regardless.

It was great to meet the men and lady, that help to keep us safe last night...it was both fun and educational..thank you!

Dayleen VanRyswyk
For Kelowna City Council
http://www.dayleenvanryswyk.com
User avatar
dbthorburn
Posts: 41
Joined: Aug 19th, 2008, 3:52 pm

Re: ONE ISSUE VOTERS

Post by dbthorburn »

Last nights all-candidates forum at the Ramada was a great opportunity for many of the paid on-call / volunteer firefighters in Kelowna to come out and meet all of the candidates that did attend. Thankfully the speeches were short and sweet (for the most part) which gave everyone there enough time to mingle with various candidates and provide feedback on what type of issues were most important for them.

The resouding consensus from all the firefighters was that they are simply not being compensated enough for the amount of work, training and contributions to our community that they tirelessly dedicate to everyone in and around Kelowna. Compared to other communities and cities, our volunteer fire-fighters are drastically under-paid and under-appreciated.

I was shocked to hear about a very recent scenario in which a formal request had been submitted to City Hall earlier this year, requesting for approximately $30,000 in additional funding for improved training, equipment and added expenses. To my amazement, the request did not even made it in front of City Council but instead was rejected by city staff in management and middle government. Let me ask those responsible for making that decision: "do we really need to have another fire emergency such as the one in 2003 in order to remind you of just how vital the services are that these valiant, dedicated and seriously under-valued volunteer firefighters provide?"

These men (and women) are true heros and we depend on them day in and day out for our health, safety and community values. For me, fire-fighters (regardless of whether they are salary or paid on-call / volunteer) are one of the absolute ESSENTIALS for our city, and as a City Councillor I will ensure that these unsung heros are provided with the recognition, compensation and full support that they deserve.

Dan Thorburn
Elect Dan Thorburn for Kelowna City Councillor
http://www.DanThorburn.com

We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude. ~Cynthia Ozick
Takin it easy !
Übergod
Posts: 1381
Joined: May 3rd, 2008, 5:52 am

Re: ONE ISSUE VOTERS

Post by Takin it easy ! »

commonsense65 wrote:Interesting to find out everyone all the candidates just talk about policing under public safety yet never mention the fire department being completely out of resourses whenever there is a apartment fire and nearly delpeted every house fire. I have just learned that Shepherd and council adopted a plan to build and staff another firehall in Glenmore by 2016. I doubt that will happen with Gray and associates!
Sure it will 30 stories high and build it in City Park right on the beach and call it Firehall Place and say they couldnt get the zoning in Glenmore.
User avatar
justlooking4work
Posts: 67
Joined: Nov 14th, 2011, 9:15 pm

Re: ONE ISSUE VOTERS

Post by justlooking4work »

Tired of the crime, local economy, and indecision in city hall? Me too. We need Walter Gray back ASAP. :bump:
Takin it easy !
Übergod
Posts: 1381
Joined: May 3rd, 2008, 5:52 am

Re: ONE ISSUE VOTERS

Post by Takin it easy ! »

*removed/STOP with this kind of confrontational post/Jo*
Retrosnap
Board Meister
Posts: 453
Joined: Jul 25th, 2006, 7:37 am

Re: ONE ISSUE VOTERS

Post by Retrosnap »

dbthorburn wrote:The resouding consensus from all the firefighters was that they are simply not being compensated enough for the amount of work, training and contributions to our community that they tirelessly dedicate to everyone in and around Kelowna. Compared to other communities and cities, our volunteer fire-fighters are drastically under-paid and under-appreciated.



The bolding is mine...

Honestly...do firefighters in this city, indeed in any city, feel under appreciated? Really?

As for underpaid, I haven't spent the time to research what the contract in Kelowna pays our firefighters. However, I would hazard to guess that even a starting wage is much higher than the average salary in Kelowna.
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”