A Positive Thread

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

A Positive Thread

Post by Lady tehMa »

Okay folks,

Tell us all why we should vote for YOUR candidate. Do so without smearing anyone else, just list all the positive contributions you feel your candidate can make. Let's go heavy on the facts and light on the rhetoric.

I am tired of wading through infantile threads that read more like a schoolyard tantrum; if you have something intelligent to say then I am listening!

I also have not voted yet, neither has my husband. I will be checking this periodically to see if anyone cares to give me something to consider.
I haven't failed until I quit.
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: A Positive Thread

Post by canadman »

Here here.
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Me too, I am really tired of the whining and sniveling in the CE threads. There are too many candidates to wade through.
So I am going to go tomorrow and vote for the few that I know I like and stop there.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Evan
Board Meister

Post by Evan »

I wanted to post this, if I am allowed. I have been feeling the stress of this election, and I no longer live in Kelowna.. I hope this iconic song will at least shed some happiness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b7qaSxuZUg
To be inspired.
chloeskates

Post by chloeskates »

Lady tehMa wrote:Okay folks,

Tell us all why we should vote for YOUR candidate. Do so without smearing anyone else, just list all the positive contributions you feel your candidate can make. Let's go heavy on the facts and light on the rhetoric.

I am tired of wading through infantile threads that read more like a schoolyard tantrum; if you have something intelligent to say then I am listening!

I also have not voted yet, neither has my husband. I will be checking this periodically to see if anyone cares to give me something to consider.

Sharon Shepherd- she has been a community activist for as long as I can remember- she truly cares about every single person in the community (regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, religion, personal beliefs, cultural background, class, etc.). She leads like a woman- with grace, concern for social issues, a desire to have as much information as possible before making any long-term decisions, and the belief of allowing time for debate and public consultation. She takes her job very seriously and I can honestly say works harder than any person I have ever met. I have never heard her utter a single negative remark about any past or current colleagues. She has always been concerned with social issues and is very well known with service providers in community agencies working with the homeless and people with mental health and addictions issues. She is kind and fully believes in an open door policy for public access and consult. She believes in the importance of sustainability and long term vision.

Michelle Rule- is honest and has integrity. She works very hard and for the benefit of every person in the community. She has an open door and is very accessible and has a very good reputation with the social service sector.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I am supporting Sharon Shepherd for the same reasons as Chloeskates above.

My primary councillor candidate is Bobby Kennedy. I have spent some time with him and am so impressed with this young man. He doesn't slam other candidates, operates his own business, addresses issues reasonably, has a great positive can-do outlook and super teamwork concepts ...

Luckily no problem is without a solution. Finding a solution is up to us and together we can work on it.

If we combine hard work, rational thinking and strong family values I believe we can conquer any situations that may arise in order to ensure Kelowna continues to be a city for all to love and call home.

I think he will be excellent mayor material in the future once he gets his experience as a councillor for a term or two.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
beachday

Post by beachday »

GrandmaFreddy, I finally agree with you on something! Bobby Kennedy is also on the top of my short list of counsilors for the same reasons! :nyah:
thefacts

Post by thefacts »

Lady tehMa wrote:Okay folks,

I voted for Walter Gray.. he is a GREAT LEADER.. in case you missed this on another thread....

So this was in the Kelowna Daily Courier today and because I couldn't figure out any other way to do it, I retyped this myself here.

This to me is what REAL Leadership is! I know the Sharon rabble will immediately discredit every word of this and continue their campaign of casting dispersions, insults and everything else. But this is not intended for them. For those of you who are still undecided, I think this published piece this morning addresses why I think Walter Gray is the best candidate, especially in the times we face right now.

Hopefully you'll read it (it took long enough for me to type it out lol, I hope you do) and give it consideration.

What is Leadership?

by Walter Gray Your Candidate for Mayor of Kelowna

Leadership is the ability to achieve results.

Leadership is the ability to make decisions and ensure progress.

Leadership is being open to new ideas and new ways of doing things.

Leadership While in Office:

• Lobbied for the W.R. Bennett Bridge - construction completed shortly after leaving office
• Prospera Place built as a public private partnership saving tax payer dollars
• Arts District was concept formulated through key partnerships • Major sewer upgrades in Rutland
• Downtown Queensway transit mall
• Rotary Centre for the Arts – worked with Rotary groups to become title sponsor of the project
• All 3 phases of the Greenway were constructed
• Director for BC Transit
• Rails with Trails phase 1 was completed
• In combination with Senator Fitzpatrick achieved Federal funding for building beautification
• Ben Lee Park created
• Accelerated UBC-O campus housing project to meet timelines of opening
• Rebuit/replaced the Chapman Parkade downtown
• Acquired numerous lakeshore properties for future public use
• Kelowna Airport moved from 17th busiest to 9th busiest in Canada
• Mayor during the Firestorm 2003
• Completion of Summit Drive over Dilworth Mountain
• Brought first hybrid buses to Kelowna – only 8 in Canada, we got 2
• On the team that brought the BC Seniors Games to Kelowna
• Member of the Premiers Task Force on Homelessness, Mental Illness & Addictions - Secured funding for addictions treatment in Kelowna ‐ $4.75 million from Province

Leadership Out of Office:

• Founding Director of Kelowna Snowfest Committee
• Past President of Kelowna Chamber of Commerce (2 time President)
• President of the Okanagan Neurological Association ‐ now the Child Development Centre
• Founding member of the Gospel Mission’s 30K Club
• Honorary Chair of Ballet Kelowna’s 2008 Pirouette
• Chair of Bold Horizons Capital campaign – raising $4.1million for Okanagan College
• Fundraising Chair – Hospice House Palliative Care – raised $3.7 million to build facility

This is the most important election in recent years!

Vote for Strong Leadership, Strong Vision, a Strong Economy

Vote Walter Gray for Mayor
Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ub2 »

I don't know if this will help you much but here goes.

For mayor I chose Sharon over Walter.

They both have track records, Walter 9yrs Sharon 6. You know exactly what your going to get. I prefer Sharon's integrity, accessibility, and in my view is more representative of all the residents. If you want facts, some of Gramma Freddy's past postings have some pretty good ones.

As for councillors, it's a crap shoot.

As I said in another post, candidates promise the moon and will say almost anything to get in, and rarely deliver when elected. Incumbents on the other hand have their track record and have to defend it. I didn't feel that they did that bad of a job so I voted for the same group with the exception of Blanleil and Craig, which I replaced with Scott Ross.

I wasn't sure about Ross at first; I like his stance on law and order, the ward system. He shows due diligence when searching the facts, and has shown maturity and respect when interacting with posters here, and I assume the same will be displayed if elected.

The one stand out among the incumbents would be Charlie Hodge. Brings good balance to council, lots of common sense, very accessible to residents; I believe has a good read on Kelowna and does not have a financial dog in the hunt when it come to business or development.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

VOTED for

Shepherd- balanaced approach

Zimmerman-FD management experience
Stack-low cost housing
Hobson-vast experience in planning
Hodge-connects to community well
Rule-very much in tune with all groups.
Given-work/trustee experience
Graham-tireless community worker
Reid-sincere susatinability expert

Note the gender balance

Cacchioni-Mr. School Board
Volk-well experienced educator, community activist

That's about it. Hope it helps some to decide.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Thank you people for providing excellent posts, keep them coming! :sunshine:
I haven't failed until I quit.
watchingfromthesidelines

Post by watchingfromthesidelines »

I liked many of the current incumbents but like unbiased, I replaced Craig with Scott Ross (I agree that he has shown alot more maturity as this election went on and if you read his twitter and here, seeks to understand and is very intelligent and passionate about what he wants to do for Kelowna.) I also replaced Blanleil with McFadden, liked his accounting background, otherwise I was very happy with the rest of council. Unfortunately I was on the fence between Sharon and Walter. I really like the business side of what Walter brings and while I like Sharon, wished she was a tad more assertive in her role. Couldn't decide and so had to abstain. Good thread - nice to see only postive comments on here.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Kelowna is going to start growing again, economic cycles are usually based on a ten year cycle meaning the next three years will be critical for Kelowna to position itself for future growth. A lot of hard decisions will have to be made and based on my review of the candidates, Walter has proven he can do that and thus is best suited with his experience.

What facts can I use to back it up? I could list past accomplishments. But my motto at work was always "A plan is only something that you deviate from". And that is what is needed, some one who can make decisions as the world around them is changing and not waiting until another decision takes precedence.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
hadassah32

Post by hadassah32 »

Love this thread

I voted at advance polls

Mayor Walter Gray... Want to see a change at the top in City hall. stronger more assertive leadership and extensive experience

counsellors

Stack. Low cost housing good track record on counsel
Given. Found her election material to be solid, her experience is also worth noting
Basran impressive forums, excellent campaign material
Gran. Past experience
Zimmerman. I just like his community presence and past leadership and cooperation with City Hall
James. Experience and exemplary attendance to counsel mtgs

School board

Joyce Brinkerhoff, know and like her. Extensive educational background
Rolli Caccionne. Word of mouth
murli Pendharker, name recognition and experience
richardtaylor1973

Post by richardtaylor1973 »

*NO SPAM/Jo*

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”