Choice for Mayor

Who would you like to see elected Mayor of DWK?

Doug Findlater
28
40%
Rosalind Neis
42
60%
 
Total votes: 70

User avatar
tunachick
Board Meister
Posts: 367
Joined: Aug 10th, 2005, 12:10 pm

Re: Choice for Mayor

Post by tunachick »

Before the election, I urge people to check out the webcast of council meetings on the District of West Kelowna website. http://www.districtofwestside.ca. See who prepares ahead for the meeting and thinks about the issues. See who doesn't understand the issues. See who is unprepared.
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22665
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Re: Choice for Mayor

Post by Urbane »

    tunachick wrote:Before the election, I urge people to check out the webcast of council meetings on the District of West Kelowna website. http://www.districtofwestside.ca. See who prepares ahead for the meeting and thinks about the issues. See who doesn't understand the issues. See who is unprepared.
I'll have a look but I'd be interested in your opinion as to who is prepared and who isn't.
waterwings
Übergod
Posts: 1069
Joined: Jun 12th, 2009, 11:22 am

Re: Choice for Mayor

Post by waterwings »

I watched some council meetings and I see Neis use her emotions and then back tracks once and after due diligence is presented.

Also I like the direction that the current mayor and council has directed Jim (whatever his last name is) toward our financial security.

Findlater has my vote and now on to council. Thankfully I don't even have to think about Loretta this time around.
parachute
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 828
Joined: Feb 17th, 2008, 3:08 pm

Re: Choice for Mayor

Post by parachute »

waterwings wrote:I watched some council meetings and I see Neis use her emotions and then back tracks once and after due diligence is presented.

Yes. I watched some meetings too. Almost always Neis was prepared and directed relevant questions to the issue and then made up her mind after answers had been given. I have not seen her "back track" ....... "waterwings" can you list a specific meeting where what you say about Neis has actually happened? Or are you using YOUR emotions to invent something?

There have been SOME items for which it seems that Neis has strong concerns and then her emotions do show. Is that really so bad? Isn't it worse to see some Councillors sit there meeting after meeting just voting "yes" to EVERY staff recommendation? No showing or indication of "due diligence" on their part? Don't a show of emotions actually demonstrate CONCERN? If so, then I guess Neis does CARE. I think that is a GOOD thing!

Check out the recorded votes for every question called at the Council meetings. I haven't watched too many Council meetings but I also haven't seen "emotions and then back tracks" ruling the day as "waterwings" suggests.
User avatar
Bestside
Guru
Posts: 5897
Joined: Apr 29th, 2007, 1:03 am

Re: Choice for Mayor

Post by Bestside »

parachute wrote:
waterwings wrote:I watched some council meetings and I see Neis use her emotions and then back tracks once and after due diligence is presented. Findlater has my vote ...

Yes. I watched some meetings too. Almost always Neis was prepared and directed relevant questions to the issue and then made up her mind after answers had been given. I have not seen her "back track" ....... "waterwings" can you list a specific meeting where what you say about Neis has actually happened? Or are you using YOUR emotions to invent something?

There have been SOME items for which it seems that Neis has strong concerns and then her emotions do show. Is that really so bad? Isn't it worse to see some Councillors sit there meeting after meeting just voting "yes" to EVERY staff recommendation? No showing or indication of "due diligence" on their part? Don't a show of emotions actually demonstrate CONCERN? If so, then I guess Neis does CARE. I think that is a GOOD thing!

Check out the recorded votes for every question called at the Council meetings. I haven't watched too many Council meetings but I also haven't seen "emotions and then back tracks" ruling the day as "waterwings" suggests.

A very good rebuttal to waterwings Parachute!

Waterwings is inventive, and has her council members mixed up. The person on council waterwings describes is Findlater.

A very applicable case in point for Findlater was his refusal to vote for a municipal grant for the West Kelowna food bank to help our citizens in need. Findlater was taken to task by outraged citizens, then the next meeting he flipped saying, "I didn't know there were so many people that supported the food bank". That was classic Findlater, showing a lack of common sense.

Then of course there was Findlater's flipping around on the municipal naming issue... supporting a naming committee, then leading a charge to fire the naming committee who were looking for a means of consensus, then arbitrarily putting in place a head-to-head contest to split the community. The people wanting Westbank for the name have no one to blame but Findlater for that debacle.

A recent flip for Findlater was the land expansion to Marina Park. The entire council followed staff recommendation and passed third reading to acquire the land for expansion, then the next-door neighbour to the park (one of the good old boys) complained about having a park with a kids playground for a neighbour and Findlater led a flip with no compromise. Neis tried to broker a compromise to make that expansion happen, but in the end the three stooges (Findlater, Ophus, Winsby {who said he had no time available to look at the issue} won the day, and the district lost some incredibly lucrative assets, a loss equivalent to $90 per man, woman and child in the community.

There are countless examples of poor governance under Findlater. If Findlater, Ophus, Winsby are re-elected and one other Findlater supporter is elected, then the District of West Kelowna is toast. That seems to be the real reason Neis is running for Mayor... she cares deeply for our community and knows it is imperative that Findlater does not remain on council.

There is no question that voting for Neis for Mayor is the only logical way to vote...
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
waterwings
Übergod
Posts: 1069
Joined: Jun 12th, 2009, 11:22 am

Re: Choice for Mayor

Post by waterwings »

Both candidates back track - one with emotion of what it wants and the other on what the people want. So my vote is for Findlater.

I would rather have a LISTENER than one who doesn't and concern is a wonderful thing for a food bank manager who feeds the hungry but it is not a wonderful thing for the person doing the books looking for more handouts.
User avatar
Bestside
Guru
Posts: 5897
Joined: Apr 29th, 2007, 1:03 am

Re: Choice for Mayor

Post by Bestside »

waterwings wrote:Both candidates back track - one with emotion of what it wants and the other on what the people want. So my vote is for Findlater.

I would rather have a LISTENER than one who doesn't and concern is a wonderful thing for a food bank manager who feeds the hungry but it is not a wonderful thing for the person doing the books looking for more handouts.

A good leader does what is best for the municipality and it's people, rather than flip flopping around listening to squeaky wheels like Findlater does to vie for votes.

I can't believe you wrote that about the food bank. What are you trying to say?
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
waterwings
Übergod
Posts: 1069
Joined: Jun 12th, 2009, 11:22 am

Re: Choice for Mayor

Post by waterwings »

you vote for Neis.

I'll vote for Findlater because in a democracy political leaders listen to its voters.

You are the one crying about the food bank...I am simply stating that the food bank needs concern or its customers go hungry while the accountant should only look at the numbers. Is there a problem?
parachute
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 828
Joined: Feb 17th, 2008, 3:08 pm

Re: Choice for Mayor

Post by parachute »

waterwings wrote:Both candidates back track - one with emotion of what it wants and the other on what the people want. So my vote is for Findlater.

I re-read that post about 10 times trying to figure out what "waterwings" is saying. I don't know why the word "emotion" is contained therein but that word was used by "waterwings" in a previous post to describe "Neis" so I guess the word "it" refers to "Neis". Based on that conclusion and my knowledge of the English language (limited as it is!) --- here is what I think "waterwings" is telling us.

The best interpretation I can up with is: Neis back tracks with emotion from what she wants and Findlater back tracks from what the people want.

Based on that interpretation "waterwings" is saying that "Neis" back tracks from what SHE wants to what the PEOPLE want and Findlater back tracks from what PEOPLE want to what HE wants.

I agree with that analysis of the two Mayor candidates and therefore I believe that most reasonable people would vote for "Neis". BUT "waterwings" votes for Findlater. STRANGE??
parachute
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 828
Joined: Feb 17th, 2008, 3:08 pm

Re: Choice for Mayor

Post by parachute »

waterwings wrote:I'll vote for Findlater because in a democracy political leaders listen to its voters.

Findlater listens to power players, Neis listens to residents.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2744
Joined: Sep 6th, 2006, 11:07 pm

Re: Choice for Mayor

Post by occasional thoughts »

There is a lot of stridence developing in this thread, primarily from Bestside and Parachute, it seems. The last slam was a bit unfortunate; a lot of "reasonable" people will be voting for Findlater and a lot of "reasonable" people will be voting for Neis in the upcoming election. And one of them is going to, probably, squeak in. I'm probably voting for Neis, I'll know for sure when I've walked out of the polling booth. And while he probably won't be getting my vote, I don't think that people who will be voting for Findlater are unreasonable just because they don't agree with me.
User avatar
Bestside
Guru
Posts: 5897
Joined: Apr 29th, 2007, 1:03 am

Re: Choice for Mayor

Post by Bestside »

Bestside wrote:
waterwings wrote:... concern is a wonderful thing for a food bank manager who feeds the hungry but it is not a wonderful thing for the person doing the books looking for more handouts.

A good leader does what is best for the municipality and it's people, rather than flip flopping around listening to squeaky wheels like Findlater does to vie for votes.

I can't believe you wrote that about the food bank. What are you trying to say?

waterwings wrote:You are the one crying about the food bank...I am simply stating that the food bank needs concern or its customers go hungry while the accountant should only look at the numbers. Is there a problem?

I was trying to figure out what your problem was with the food bank accountant ...

Are you saying that the food bank accountant should just be doing the books and should not be asking the municipality for a grant, because if he hadn't asked for a grant then Findlater would not have had egg all over his face for slamming the work of the food bank?
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
User avatar
Bestside
Guru
Posts: 5897
Joined: Apr 29th, 2007, 1:03 am

Re: Choice for Mayor

Post by Bestside »

occasional thoughts wrote:
parachute wrote:I agree with that analysis of the two Mayor candidates and therefore I believe that most reasonable people would vote for "Neis". BUT "waterwings" votes for Findlater. STRANGE??
There is a lot of stridence developing in this thread, primarily from Bestside and Parachute, it seems. The last slam was a bit unfortunate; a lot of "reasonable" people will be voting for Findlater and a lot of "reasonable" people will be voting for Neis in the upcoming election. And one of them is going to, probably, squeak in. I'm probably voting for Neis, I'll know for sure when I've walked out of the polling booth. And while he probably won't be getting my vote, I don't think that people who will be voting for Findlater are unreasonable just because they don't agree with me.

OT, you are misinterpreting I think...

the reference was to MOST reasonable people (as in a majority of reasonable people will elect Neis).
That leaves a minority of reasonable people will vote for Findlater...

Of course not all people are "reasonable", as can be found by following the posts of some people.. :)
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22665
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Re: Choice for Mayor

Post by Urbane »

    occasional thoughts wrote:There is a lot of stridence developing in this thread, primarily from Bestside and Parachute, it seems. The last slam was a bit unfortunate; a lot of "reasonable" people will be voting for Findlater and a lot of "reasonable" people will be voting for Neis in the upcoming election. And one of them is going to, probably, squeak in. I'm probably voting for Neis, I'll know for sure when I've walked out of the polling booth. And while he probably won't be getting my vote, I don't think that people who will be voting for Findlater are unreasonable just because they don't agree with me.
Well said OT. I find both Findlater and Neis to be decent people who have served their community well. While I see no reason to fire Findlater, and in fact I believe he's done an excellent job, the community will be just fine if Neis is elected. We're just in the "spin cycle" right now and so some posters choose to engage in hyperbole etc.
User avatar
Bestside
Guru
Posts: 5897
Joined: Apr 29th, 2007, 1:03 am

Re: Choice for Mayor

Post by Bestside »

Urbane wrote:
    occasional thoughts wrote:There is a lot of stridence developing in this thread, primarily from Bestside and Parachute, it seems. The last slam was a bit unfortunate; a lot of "reasonable" people will be voting for Findlater and a lot of "reasonable" people will be voting for Neis in the upcoming election. And one of them is going to, probably, squeak in. I'm probably voting for Neis, I'll know for sure when I've walked out of the polling booth. And while he probably won't be getting my vote, I don't think that people who will be voting for Findlater are unreasonable just because they don't agree with me.
Well said OT. I find both Findlater and Neis to be decent people who have served their community well. While I see no reason to fire Findlater, and in fact I believe he's done an excellent job, the community will be just fine if Neis is elected. We're just in the "spin cycle" right now and so some posters choose to engage in hyperbole etc.

Well, here we go with the strident dissing of voters/posters who are passionate for their community, and who they do not agree with, rather than their showing examples of their favorites "excellence".
Figures... it never changes for some....
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum

Return to “C.E. West Kelowna”