Mayor and Council

Big Al

Re: Mayor and Council

Post by Big Al »

Well Time for a clean sweep is the mood by the looks of things and i feel the same.. how can it be reality i wonder.. Our last election was invalid from my perspective 6 of 7 aclaimed really sucks` me thinks we gotta tell every one to pay attention make your voice heard and make your X visible... thats my veiew from the farm anyways
Kalamalka puts colour in Lake Country
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

It actually would be good for Lake Country to have a clean sweep at this point. Maybe put some sense (fear, perhaps) in the minds of the bureaucrats who still have a tendency to say no to everything. We are in the deadest time of the economy for years and they still cannot seem to do things in a timely fashion so hopefully we can get an energetic Mayor with some sense of how to run a business and a new council to whip things into shape.

McCarthy seems to have a fresh view on things, untainted by the immediate past but able to bring some experience by being on council previously. The others don't quite seem to have the energy, it seems. Plus the mayors job is different than councillors so he would be able to keep things focused and guided where needed.

How are the council positions shaping up, in the opinion of the people here?
It looks like there is finally some competition for each of the areas so we are moving away from the acclamation situation that Big Al described above.
You and 71 others Like this post
alienguy

Post by alienguy »

Big Al wrote:Well Time for a clean sweep is the mood by the looks of things and i feel the same.. how can it be reality i wonder.. Our last election was invalid from my perspective 6 of 7 aclaimed really sucks` me thinks we gotta tell every one to pay attention make your voice heard and make your X visible... thats my veiew from the farm anyways

I totally agree it's time to clean out council and senior staff. I blame the Ward system in part for the acclaimed candidates. No one wants to run against the "chosen one". The Ward system may work in a large city but it's a drawback for a small community like ours. Winfield is the largest ward by population but still only gets one seat on council. I’m also a proponent of 2 terms in office.
"The World Is Run By Those Who Show Up" - Unknown
hallgirl

Post by hallgirl »

Candidates for the office of MAYOR (1 to be elected):
BAKER, James 13882 Lake Pine Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 1A3
CLARK, Bill 11063 Lodge Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 1Y2
GUENTHER, Noreen 1-16059 Greenhow Court, Lake Country, BC V4V 2E6
McCARTHY, Jason 15818 Old Mission Road, lake Country, BC V4V 2G8

Candidates for the office of COUNCILLOR AT LARGE (2 to be elected):
AUBIN, Nicholas 670 Dougall Road, Kelowna, BC V1X 3J8
GAMBELL, Penny 11908 Bond Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 1J4
MCEWAN, Jamie 11431 Jane Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 1G6
WITHERS, Peter 15951 Trask Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 2H9

Candidates for the office of Councillor – WINFIELD (1 to be elected):
SCARROW, Bill 11642 Daniel Drive, Lake Country, BC V4V 1J3
GEIER, Rob 11559 Artela Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 1H9

Candidates for the office of Councillor – OKANAGAN CENTRE (1 to be elected):
BLASKOVITS, Jeremy 15094 Highland Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 2G7
CAMERON, Lisa 11331 Okanagan Centre Road West, Lake Country, BC V4V 2J6
REES, Alice 10745 Okanagan Centre Road West, Lake Country, BC V4V 2H8

Candidates for the office of Councillor – CARR’S LANDING (1 to be elected):
LEAMONT, Barbara 16786 Commonage Road, Lake Country BC, V4V 1B5
SJOMAN, Linda 14232 Carr’s Landing Road, Lake Country BC V4V 1A7
VADER, Matt 16621 Maki Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 1C2

Candidates for the office of Councillor – OYAMA (1 to be elected):
DICKIE; Owen 15718 Greenhow Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 2E6
NAIRNE, Rob 4581 Young Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 2E5

Candidates for the office of SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 23 TRUSTEE (Zone 1) (1 to be elected):
BUTLER, Deb 148823 Middlebench Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 2C4
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

M and M wrote:
RichardWede wrote:
LANDM wrote:What are the opinions on the people running for Mayor?
Baker
Guenther
McCarthy
???? forget the others

Looks like time for a change from Baker.

Bill Clark is the other candidate.

Baker's gotta go, there's no question of that.

Guenther is insufferably ignorant on many issues, and a screamer when she gets wound up (which is often), with more of the same old ingrained BS from the current council, on which she sits, IMO.

McCarthy has some business sense.

Clark is very active in the Chamber of Commerce, but I don't know his background well.

Looks like it boils down to the last two, since the first two spell further mismanagement of DLC.

The only business sense McCarthy has is to benefit his own prosperity.
McCarthy is on record and on camera, in his first years of council stating that a business license should be denied to a local business because they are setting up in their own commercial space, and not in 'HIS' real estate listed vacant office spaces.
Jayson McCarthy's comprimise is to then suggest that the council restrict their business operating hours.

When I saw this on tv I almost fell off the chair with laughter.
Jayson McCarthy are you going to try to bring forth to council again Red Shorts day???
I suppose if you are mayor that will be first on your agenda.

Personal business with McCarthy was more of the same.

and if you looked into it he did not have a business licence himself at the time.... hmmm wonder if he does today?
Absolutely agree he is out for his own benefit and prosperity....
let us not forget the 600 stall marina he was pushing for!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
neamster

Post by neamster »

The one comment on the board so far re. Guenther is that she is a "screamer" and insufferably ignorant about issues. I wouldn't want a mayor who screams, and don't know her personally, so would appreciate more info about her screaming episodes. Otherwise, I will ignore it as a slur.

As far as experience, her bio on the Lake Country site says she's First Vice President for the Southern Interior Local Government Association (SILGA), Director of Large for the Union of BC Municipalities (UBCM) , Chair of the Community Development Commission, Vice Chair of the Okanagan Regional Library Board, on Lake Country's Committee of the Whole, the Development Permit Committee, the Joint Advisory Committee, the Public Art Advisory Commission and the Youth Advisory Committee.

Surely she had to have some knowledge of municipal issues to rack up what looks like a solid background; she also sounds like a pretty hard worker. What would the basis be for saying she is "insufferably ignorant?"
Thank you!
Last edited by neamster on Oct 17th, 2011, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
neamster

Post by neamster »

Alice Rees?
From her biography on the Lake Country web site, it seems as though apart from her seat on Council, Rees does not sit on any committees, Lake Country bodies, or involves herself in any way with municipal affairs. Perhaps she is more engaged with the affairs of Lake Country than her biography indicates. Would like more info before making a decision, but so far, it appears that she has had ample time to make an impact through involvement, but does not seem to have done so. I am leaning towards one of the other two Okanagan Centre Ward candidates.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

neamster wrote:The one comment on the board so far re. Guenther is that she is a "screamer" and woefully ignorant about issues. I wouldn't want a mayor who screams, and don't know her personally, so would appreciate more info about her screaming episodes. Otherwise, I will ignore it as a slur.

As far as experience, her bio on the Lake Country site says she's First Vice President for the Southern Interior Local Government Association (SILGA), Director of Large for the Union of BC Municipalities (UBCM) , Chair of the Community Development Commission, Vice Chair of the Okanagan Regional Library Board, on Lake Country's Committee of the Whole, the Development Permit Committee, the Joint Advisory Committee, the Public Art Advisory Commission and the Youth Advisory Committee.

Surely she had to have some knowledge of municipal issues to rack up what looks like a solid background; she also sounds like a pretty hard worker. What would the basis be for saying she is "woefully ignorant?"
Thank you!

You'll need to spend a bit of time at council meetings to see her in action. I've helped a friend with property interests at a few meetings, and was always struck by Guenther's lack of understanding on issues and her poor preparedness for meetings. It was like she hadn't even bothered to read the backgrounder on the items being discussed.

I also had a one-on-one with her, and when she didn't agree with the approach I was suggesting she consider, she started raising her voice and wagging her finger in my face. Really poor communications skills, IMO.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Here's the final list of candidates. The incumbents should be shown the door, IMO.

Who's suitable from the list of newbies? Peter Withers is a top-notch, intelligent guy, and I surmised before that he would make a good candidate. I'm glad he has stepped up. Nick Aubin is smart and community-minded, as I have seen his support in local non-profit fundraisers.

Who else?

Candidates for the office of MAYOR (1 to be elected):
BAKER, James - 13882 Lake Pine Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 1A3
CLARK, Bill - 11063 Lodge Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 1Y2
GUENTHER, Noreen - 1-16059 Greenhow Court, Lake Country, BC V4V 2E6
McCARTHY, Jason - 15818 Old Mission Road, lake Country, BC V4V 2G8

Candidates for the office of COUNCILLOR AT LARGE (2 to be elected):
AUBIN, Nicholas - 670 Dougall Road, Kelowna, BC V1X 3J8
GAMBELL, Penny - 11908 Bond Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 1J4
MCEWAN, Jamie - 11431 Jane Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 1G6
WITHERS, Peter - 15951 Trask Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 2H9

Candidates for the office of Councillor – WINFIELD (1 to be elected):
SCARROW, Bill - 11642 Daniel Drive, Lake Country, BC V4V 1J3
GEIER, Rob - 11559 Artela Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 1H9

Candidates for the office of Councillor – OKANAGAN CENTRE (1 to be elected):
BLASKOVITS, Jeremy - 15094 Highland Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 2G7
CAMERON, Lisa - 11331 Okanagan Centre Road West, Lake Country, BC V4V 2J6
REES, Alice - 10745 Okanagan Centre Road West, Lake Country, BC V4V 2H8

Candidates for the office of Councillor – CARR’S LANDING (1 to be elected):
LEAMONT, Barbara - 16786 Commonage Road, Lake Country BC, V4V 1B5
SJOMAN, Linda - 14232 Carr’s Landing Road, Lake Country BC V4V 1A7
VADER, Matt - 16621 Maki Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 1C2

Candidates for the office of Councillor – OYAMA (1 to be elected):
DICKIE, Owen - 15718 Greenhow Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 2E6
NAIRNE, Rob - 4581 Young Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 2E5

Candidates for the office of SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 23 TRUSTEE (Zone 1) (1 to be elected):
BUTLER, Deb - 148823 Middlebench Road, Lake Country, BC V4V 2C4
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

neamster wrote:
The one comment on the board so far re. Guenther is that she is a "screamer" and woefully ignorant about issues. I wouldn't want a mayor who screams, and don't know her personally, so would appreciate more info about her screaming episodes. Otherwise, I will ignore it as a slur.

Surely she had to have some knowledge of municipal issues to rack up what looks like a solid background; she also sounds like a pretty hard worker. What would the basis be for saying she is "woefully ignorant?"
Thank you!

RichardWede wrote:You'll need to spend a bit of time at council meetings to see her in action. I've helped a friend with property interests at a few meetings, and was always struck by Guenther's lack of understanding on issues and her poor preparedness for meetings. It was like she hadn't even bothered to read the backgrounder on the items being discussed.

I also had a one-on-one with her, and when she didn't agree with the approach I was suggesting she consider, she started raising her voice and wagging her finger in my face.

Really poor communications skills, IMO.

:dyinglaughing: :coffeecanuck: Good one Richard...At least neamster is actually doing some research.
gummibear

Post by gummibear »

LANDM wrote:What are the opinions on the people running for Mayor?
Baker
Guenther
McCarthy
???? forget the others

Looks like time for a change from Baker.

I was also looking for more info on each candidate's platform and couldn't really find much. Only 2 of them had websites that I could find via google.

I noticed there are some videos up on the Lake Country Bulletin website of the candidates discussing various issues.

http://www.lakecountrybulletin.com (there's a youtube link to the videos).

I hope they add more as I still haven't got a good sense of what each candidate is about.
chadd1237

Post by chadd1237 »

I looked at the polls on the Lake country Bulletin website. It amazes me that someone who lives in Kelowna is ahead for Councillor at Large, and the next runner up was the talking head for Lakestone.

Not that there's anything wrong with a Kelowna-ite who has a business here being on council, since its allowed but one of my questions would be if he planned to move to the area he serves if he's elected.Just wondering why he'd want to - does he care about sidewalks or parks or just about development and business?
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

chadd1237 wrote:I looked at the polls on the Lake country Bulletin website. It amazes me that someone who lives in Kelowna is ahead for Councillor at Large, and the next runner up was the talking head for Lakestone.

Not that there's anything wrong with a Kelowna-ite who has a business here being on council, since its allowed but one of my questions would be if he planned to move to the area he serves if he's elected.Just wondering why he'd want to - does he care about sidewalks or parks or just about development and business?

Why not ask him if you are wondering? Maybe he has a sense of community service and wants to do something to help. I don't know and, realistically, it is up to him to explain because it is reasonable for people to wonder exactly what you have said.
Someone mentioned he was out door knocking consistently so he just may show up at your door.

The reality is that here is a young fellow who is willing to stick his neck out, spend the time and money required to run for public office, and is willing to spend the time, if elected, to serve the community. That is commendable and I don't believe that trying to find a negative in that is reasonable.

I also don't think pulling out the "big bad development or business person" card is necessary, either. :skyisfalling: It is common during elections but stems from fearmongering rather than reality.

Do you not think that there is a link between development of our community and the provision of sidewalks and parks? Do you not think that having a healthy business community is necessary for our overall community health? The notion of existence solely as a bedroom community for Kelowna or Vernon is not healthy. In general, business people are part of the community, the businesses provide jobs, and it keeps the area healthy so we can stay within the community and spend our money within the community.
You and 71 others Like this post
chadd1237

Post by chadd1237 »

You're right on all counts LANDM, I'm just surprised.
The Equalizer

Post by The Equalizer »

Bill Clark is my only pick for Mayor. I am not friends nor business acquaintance. I have met him several times over the past years in Lake Country. He is retired and does this because he wants to make a difference. He doesn't need the money or power and for what is largley a " thankless job". He has prior council experience and tries to see things fairly.
I have been to many council meetings and over the years and Bill was the only one who left an impression on me. I certainly did NOT like Jayson McCarthy's self serving and blithering 30 minute speaches. Baker has to go.

Thanks for reading this...and please please go VOTE!
We need a change.

EQ

Return to “C.E. Lake Country”