Mayor and Council

LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Mayor and Council

Post by LANDM »

chadd1237 wrote:You're right on all counts LANDM, I'm just surprised.

Why are you surprised????
You and 71 others Like this post
ixler8
Board Meister

Post by ixler8 »

How is it that someone who lives in Kelowna can run in Lake Country?
Don't worry ,about a thing.
cause, every little thing is gonna be alright.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

ixler8 wrote:How is it that someone who lives in Kelowna can run in Lake Country?

The same way that someone who lived in Lake Country (Oyama) could serve on council in Kelowna for years (Colin Day).
hallgirl

Post by hallgirl »

I have decided to vote for the people with the least number of lawn signs. They are an eyesore.
chadd1237

Post by chadd1237 »

I'll assume you're being sarcastic and that's not the way you want to use your precious right to vote, which not everyone has...

The signs are an eyesore, but they're temporary. Maybe you'll see the names and look them up and see what they stand for. You could live somewhere where there is only one candidate, so let's consider ourselves lucky!
hallgirl

Post by hallgirl »

Yes, I was being sarcastic. I take my right to vote very seriously. I have been following the campaign closely and reading about all the candidates and their platforms. But I am finding that most of them are completely out of touch with reality - promises for road improvements, sidewalks and bike paths everywhere, improved water supply - the list goes on and on. One even promises to do all this AND roll back taxes. Certainly efficiencies at the municipal hall, which are most definitely needed, would save some money. But perhaps candidates should check out the existing spending priority list for infrastructure improvements, many of which are demanded by senior levels of government, before making empty promises for all the new services that they will provide if elected.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

I'd like to see a candidate or two step up and challenge the wasteful spending of the Okanagan Basin Water Board. This is one bloated bureaucracy that is costing taxpayers millions of dollars a year and producing nothing but chairs for fat bureaucratic butts to warm.

Baker is a director of the OBWB, so I expect nothing from him to rock that boat. I wonder what the other candidates have to say about it?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Oyama

Post by Oyama »

RichardWede wrote:Baker is a director of the OBWB, so I expect nothing from him to rock that boat. I wonder what the other candidates have to say about it?

What a great question....why did you not submit that question to the panel last night? Very informative meeting last night.

Please folks, get out and vote on the 19th.
ixler8
Board Meister

Post by ixler8 »

Someone has placed" Clean Sweep" signs around town , they want a whole new council , can't say I don't disagree.
Don't worry ,about a thing.
cause, every little thing is gonna be alright.
hallgirl

Post by hallgirl »

But why don't the posters of the signs have the courage to say who they are???
icu

Post by icu »

hallgirl wrote:But why don't the posters of the signs have the courage to say who they are???

oh haligirl the old guy i saw poundin in the posts puttin up the sign has more courage than u ... he went out there wavin and talkin to all kinds of people he had a carreer in public service and a strong opinion about the lack of performance from the whole group... i talked to him about it on the side of the road and he has the courage to say what he feels and put his own money and time to put up signs and get us out to vote... god bless him there should be more like him .. i am gunna vote like him and ditch the whole crew.. anthropologists nurses teachers farmers get rid of the bunch ... put in the younger ones in McCarthy.. McEwan.. Vader... give us a break .. really have some courage make your voice be heard
JustJay

Post by JustJay »

Its sure gonin to be interesting to see who wins the mayor's chair. If we do a clean sweep as we see the signs states....I just hope whoever wins the Mayors chair is in it for the people of Lake Country and not for their own personal issues.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

JustJay wrote:Its sure gonin to be interesting to see who wins the mayor's chair. If we do a clean sweep as we see the signs states....I just hope whoever wins the Mayors chair is in it for the people of Lake Country and not for their own personal issues.

What are you implying?????
Every candidate has their "issues" that they make part of their platform. They do it to stand out from the others. What issues would be problematic? Of course this would have to be in general, since it would simply be a matter of politics if you pick out someone's personal stance on something. However, that would be interesting too.

If you are talking about money, then becoming Mayor would be the most pathetic excuse for furthering ones financial situation since the pay is rock bottom, and the time involved is potentially huge.

If you think that there is potential for gain that is "secret" in some way, I would love to know about that........I think everyone is watched closely enough that it is pretty hard for some type of personal gain to sneak in these days.

If it is simply the rhetoric of implying personal gain because of what someone does or has done in the past for their personal living, that would be interesting to hear also.

We have got 4 good people who are longtime residents of the community running for mayor. To imply that someone is going to go through the hell of running for mayor to cover their "personal issues" and not for the community is a pretty strong statement with this bunch.

I believe them to be all community minded. I personally would favour someone with a good business sense and energy as I think that is needed at this time. However, they are all outstanding individuals and trying to smear any of them is simply wrong. And yes, I do believe that is what you were trying to do in a roundabout way without saying it......there is no other possibility. :purefury:
JustJay

Post by JustJay »

LMAO.."LANDM" How you take what I wrote is totally up to you....Why I wrote it...Go back to page 1 and read some others posts....Might be where I formed my opinion or maybe it is just my opinion just like you are entitled to your opinion...take how you want!!! We will see what happens after the Mayors chair is filled...Good luck to all the candidates!!!
taxpayer

Post by taxpayer »

ICU, I don't think it takes courage to tell people who NOT to vote for. If the person you mention is in fact one of Lake Country's ex mayors, and it would seem that it is from today's paper - he knows very well that it is extremely naive or irresponsible for some of the new candidates he supports to make some of the promises they are making. He should be telling them to check out how much it would cost for a foot of sidewalk or a km of paving for a rural road, before telling people that they will deliver the goods. It seems to me that the only way Lake Country will get this high level of infrastructure is if we have developers to pay for it and subsequent development from one end of the municipality to the other. I have the feeling that the majority don't want that. Be careful what you wish for. Sometimes candidates and politicians have to say 'no' , we can't afford everything on the residents wish list. Now that takes courage.

Return to “C.E. Lake Country”