Limiting Trucks on Princeton ave

edwardv
Fledgling

Limiting Trucks on Princeton ave

Post by edwardv »

What are the people running for councils opinion on this?

Personal opinion - council is crazy and it is affecting businesses. It gives this town a bad reputation, and will cost more in the long run.
lumbite

Re: Limiting Trucks on Princeton ave

Post by lumbite »

In it's current condition I agree but only because of it's condition. I will probably lose a pile of votes after I say this but the gravel pit is a golden opportunity to raise money to fix Princeton by adding a load charge for every trip up and down Princeton. This would apply to any loaded truck going up and down Princeton (including logging trucks), up and down Ponderosa and up and down Trepanier Bench. We finance it and then essentially toll it. I would like to see any truck working in Peachland to pay a surtax to go toward road improvements. It is the Peachland tax payer who is going to be ultimately responsible for the repair cost and I am tired of paying for it.
Slick Lizzy1
Fledgling

Post by Slick Lizzy1 »

How do you plan to enforce such a grand scheme?
Who is going to afford to do business in an area that is bylaw and taxed to death already?
We pay enough taxes with insane spending on ridiculous projects. I’m sure that we could afford a little road maintenance without any extras if spending was controlled.
lumbite

Post by lumbite »

Just putting it out there..... I just know we need to fix princeton.. I know a lot of trucks etc. that work in Peachland that do not have a business license. Is that fair to me who pays every year for his?
Slick Lizzy1
Fledgling

Post by Slick Lizzy1 »

So buying a business licence will make up the difference in up keep on all the roads in question?
Which is it business licence or road tax?
We pay insurance to travel on roads in BC so how is it that Peachland is the only town in this far land that is considering such a thing?
I understand that up keep of a town is big dollars, that is why we need good people to represent the residences from wasted and misused tax dollars.
mayor quimby

Post by mayor quimby »

I think the issue with princeton being in disrepair has more to do with lack of maintenance, going with the lowest bid to save a buck during construction, and the single axle municipal trucks that drive up and down the road overweight and putting more pressure per square inch on the pavement than the larger trucks that can't afford to be overweight because of the fines they might get.

The real answers don't get you votes either
lumbite

Post by lumbite »

slick...the lower mainland ..surrey,whiterock etc, are considering raising revenues by putting a 2 cent a litre on the fuel down there..... Municipal rds. and provincial rds. fall into two categories. Provincial rds. are paid for by our provincial taxes...municipal rds. are maintained by our taxes. In hind sight we should have had the province repair it before they turned it over to us.
lumbite

Post by lumbite »

mayor quimby wrote:I think the issue with princeton being in disrepair has more to do with lack of maintenance, going with the lowest bid to save a buck during construction, and the single axle municipal trucks that drive up and down the road overweight and putting more pressure per square inch on the pavement than the larger trucks that can't afford to be overweight because of the fines they might get.

The real answers don't get you votes either

touche
Robin Hood

Post by Robin Hood »

As with so many issues, the answer is not as simple as many might believe. Peachland Council should be business-friendly to encourage local employment. However, Princeton Ave is used by trucks and by pedestrians. It is not safe to walk and needs a significant amount of money in upgrades. Three years ago, nearly every candidate for Council promised action on the construction of sidewalks on Princeton Ave. Instead we spent our money on the Beach Ave sidewalk project. That has created a wonderful waterfront walkway but pedestrians on Princeton Ave have been ignored. Of course we don't have the money but some way has to be found to construct sidewalks on Princeton Ave and other roads in Peachland used by pedestrians. Let us hope we do not have to wait for a serious accident before we do something.
Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't; you're right.
edwardv
Fledgling

Post by edwardv »

So what I am hearing then is you would consider a gas tax in Peachland to improve the roads?

Make everyone pay more money, it is not just the Industrial Traffic that causes damage to the roads all vehicle traffic does some damage.
Slick Lizzy1
Fledgling

Post by Slick Lizzy1 »

Why would anyone want to consider doing anything in the boundaries of a town with specific tax on certain roads.
All the roads are in disrepair and the main routes have been neglected far to long.
More emphasis on a beach walkway and a bat infested schoolhouse has overpowered any upgrades or maintenance to avoid topics like this.
This was a ploy to pacify the residences that moved onto a road that would prefer not to have truck traffic on a route that was built for such. Creating a pot stirring effect that has snowball into road use tax. Every town has truck routes that need specific maintenance requirements to keep in proper repair.
edwardv
Fledgling

Post by edwardv »

It seems to me that this town is adverse to people working and paying taxes if it means someone might hear a truck driving down the road. But then roads are not built for people to drive on they are for walking or going 30km per hour only.
Slick Lizzy1
Fledgling

Post by Slick Lizzy1 »

Maybe it's time we spent some money on something other than bats and beaches.
If we could channel funds to upgrade the roads they would be safer for everyone to travel.
rotti
Board Meister

Post by rotti »

I always amazes me when people move to an area and then whine about the conditions. Peachland is a agriculture, logging and mining town. Trucks are a part of our community and if you don't like trucks going up and down Princeton then move. Council could also prioritize it's spending as well. A hotel for flying rats on Beach avenue is probably not a good way to spend money.

Return to “C.E. Peachland”