Katie Robinson running for Mayor

twobits
Guru

Re: Katie Robinson running for Mayor

Post by twobits »

clouseau wrote: I also agree with you that more commentary from Katie on how she would deal with the SOEC and PT&CC is required as well as how she would deal with revenues versus spending, hence why I suggested I would like to hear more from her. However in Katie’s defense we have not heard any direction, vision or plan from Mayor Ashton either with respect to his re-election effort. Curious what your views on that are?

No, nohing yet from him policy wise but he also hasn't formally announced his running yet either. No need for campaign rhetoric yet lol?? I am hoping he will come out with a platform of sorts, a vison for direction even. Despite what some here think, I actually think Dan did a credible job as mayor. Didn't agree with all his decisions but overall he gets a strong plus rating from me. I also believe Katie has the stones to be an excellent Mayor. We do need moe details from her though as we don't have a record like Dan to compare to. My real preference would have had her as a councillor and then step up to the big chair if and when Dan moves on because you know Litke will probably take a run at it and I personally don't think that would be a good situation.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

hoot wrote:
Ps to Jo , give ‘em heck !. Sometimes I think some of the ‘fulltime” posters here have nothing better to do than criticize others. Maybe they should keep their twobits worth to themselves unless it is constructive.

Lordy, are you just daft or incapable of moving on. And who made you the judge as to what I submit as being constructive. Considering the source......
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

And who made you the judge as to what I submit as being constructive. Considering the source......

Just agreeing with the moderator's observations , not sure why you feel my post was addressed to you .....

ps try and stick to the topic . I still believe there should be a residency requirement in order for an individual to run for local office. And that individual should only wear one cap while in office.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.” Ben Franklin .
clouseau

Post by clouseau »

twobits wrote:
clouseau wrote: I also agree with you that more commentary from Katie on how she would deal with the SOEC and PT&CC is required as well as how she would deal with revenues versus spending, hence why I suggested I would like to hear more from her. However in Katie’s defense we have not heard any direction, vision or plan from Mayor Ashton either with respect to his re-election effort. Curious what your views on that are?

No, nohing yet from him policy wise but he also hasn't formally announced his running yet either. No need for campaign rhetoric yet lol?? I am hoping he will come out with a platform of sorts, a vison for direction even. Despite what some here think, I actually think Dan did a credible job as mayor. Didn't agree with all his decisions but overall he gets a strong plus rating from me. I also believe Katie has the stones to be an excellent Mayor. We do need moe details from her though as we don't have a record like Dan to compare to. My real preference would have had her as a councillor and then step up to the big chair if and when Dan moves on because you know Litke will probably take a run at it and I personally don't think that would be a good situation.

I think yours are all good thoughts. It would seem we need to be patient and wait to hear more as the election race get’s underway.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

hoot wrote: And that individual should only wear one cap while in office.

Do you even know how the city/rdos relationship works and how all the directors become directors? Do you know how the chairman is chosen? How can you possibly not see the benefit of having a city rep being the chair? *personal attack removed*/ferri

hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

*removed*/ferri

I would like to draw your attention to the first topic on this thread wherein the moderator states, and I quote

Free-for-all or not, I'd like to caution you to keep a civil tone in your posting. Politics is a hot topic, but please try to keep your cool.

May I suggest you try counting to ten before you type?. Thanks.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:
hoot wrote: And that individual should only wear one cap while in office.

Do you even know how the city/rdos relationship works and how all the directors become directors? Do you know how the chairman is chosen? How can you possibly not see the benefit of having a city rep being the chair? *personal attack removed*/ferri

Easy on gents (or ladies)...the censors will get ya...chop chop chop. I dont mind "A" city rep being the chairman of the RDOS; but NOT the mayor being that person; no matter who they are. Not even Katie, whom I will be backing big time for Mayor. Too much chance for conflicts and fence sitting when you're the head of both. Remember what the censors said: attack the records, not the people. Too bad this doesn't apply to posters; we all seem to attack each other constantly and get away with it...lol. ps: I will agree with ONE thing that ol Slumpy has said lately: the City should divorce themselves from the RDOS and save money! Abbotsford is doing it; we could too.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote: I dont mind "A" city rep being the chairman of the RDOS; but NOT the mayor being that person; no matter who they are. Not even Katie, whom I will be backing big time for Mayor. Too much chance for conflicts and fence sitting when you're the head of both.

Can't agree with you there, it's a plus to have any Penticton Rep as chair. Any one of them would face the same "conflict" as you call it, as in reality, we are all RDOS residents

ps: I will agree with ONE thing that ol Slumpy has said lately: the City should divorce themselves from the RDOS and save money! Abbotsford is doing it; we could too.

We agree again? I commented on exactly that a few months back about the "regional issues" costs being disproportionatly carried by the City despite not having enough weight in voting. Dan Albas actually put in on many peoples radar by posting an article on his Penticton Politics site about Abbotsford's ponderings of leaving their regional district. I don't recall you chiming in at that time XT? Is this something you have just recently realized is a lousy relationship.....IMO anyway?

XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:
XT225 wrote: I dont mind "A" city rep being the chairman of the RDOS; but NOT the mayor being that person; no matter who they are. Not even Katie, whom I will be backing big time for Mayor. Too much chance for conflicts and fence sitting when you're the head of both.

Can't agree with you there, it's a plus to have any Penticton Rep as chair. Any one of them would face the same "conflict" as you call it, as in reality, we are all RDOS residents

ps: I will agree with ONE thing that ol Slumpy has said lately: the City should divorce themselves from the RDOS and save money! Abbotsford is doing it; we could too.

We agree again? I commented on exactly that a few months back about the "regional issues" costs being disproportionatly carried by the City despite not having enough weight in voting. Dan Albas actually put in on many peoples radar by posting an article on his Penticton Politics site about Abbotsford's ponderings of leaving their regional district. I don't recall you chiming in at that time XT? Is this something you have just recently realized is a lousy relationship.....IMO anyway?

'
You're somewhat right (VERY "Right in your thinking...lol) re that any one of the Penticton reps could face conflicts. Just seems not right (correct, I should say) that anyone should be the HEAD figure for both agencies. I think most people would agree; its a perception thing. Re the Regional district and divorce, I say get Pearce involved and start the proceedings...lol. We need to break away and let them do their own thing. God I hope that I don't have to put on X on the Slump ballet this fall but I think she will be pushing that issue more and its a valid one.
spacecadet
Fledgling

Post by spacecadet »

Who in their right mind would lay out all their strategy when they are announcing that they are a candidate running for office? I think it's great that she has identified all the areas that she thinks are a problem. Let's see who else throws their hat into the ring before we get into the nitty gritty!!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

spacecadet wrote:Who in their right mind would lay out all their strategy when they are announcing that they are a candidate running for office? I think it's great that she has identified all the areas that she thinks are a problem.

All it takes to identify the problem areas is a few copies of the Herald. Personally I'd like to know what she plans to do about them before I spend my one-and-only mayoralty vote on her. The article int he Western was pretty much the same as the one in the Herald a couple of days earlier. Lots of stating the obvious, lots of criticizing the incumbents, no committal on solutions of any kind. It's the political two-step. Where's the beef?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Thousands of us are just waiting so patiently for "Benny's Platform". (ya, right!)! :spinball:
clouseau

Post by clouseau »

-fluffy- wrote:
spacecadet wrote:Who in their right mind would lay out all their strategy when they are announcing that they are a candidate running for office? I think it's great that she has identified all the areas that she thinks are a problem.

All it takes to identify the problem areas is a few copies of the Herald. Personally I'd like to know what she plans to do about them before I spend my one-and-only mayoralty vote on her. The article int he Western was pretty much the same as the one in the Herald a couple of days earlier. Lots of stating the obvious, lots of criticizing the incumbents, no committal on solutions of any kind. It's the political two-step. Where's the beef?

You really summarize it well Fluffy. I fell the same way as you do and hope that the candidates will be paying attention.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

spacecadet wrote:Who in their right mind would lay out all their strategy when they are announcing that they are a candidate running for office?

Hmmmm......I kinda thought that was what they were supposed to do. So instead we get broad sweeping generalizations and they rarely fill in the fine print, or as you say, the nitty gritty. What is wrong with laying it on the table and letting us evaluate and judge the vision? Surely there was a vision before the hat was tossed into the ring? What is it? I am not interested in teasers or last minute policy. I want to be treated as an intelligent voter and not manipulated for strategy.
This applies to all levels of politics it seems. The strategy? Get em worked up in a frenzy, fist pounding the table, by tossing out the catch phrases and talking points the electorate wants to hear knowing all too well that once they are baited and hooked, they will forget that there were no details in the plan. No road map to the goal. Then the cycle repeats itself in 3 or 4 years with the electorate calling for a house cleaning while another populous figure steps up and repeats the same catch phrases and talking points. Baaaaaa Baaaaaaa

Alex1967
Fledgling

Post by Alex1967 »

Unless Ms Robinson has been through an intellectual make over and gained a Phd in common sense, I would not vote for her.
Watching Pearce's arm and Ashton's mouth move in sync for another few years is too much.
I sincerely hope we have some credible candidates.

Return to “C.E. Penticton”