Hockey School Land Deal = Election Issue

User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22352
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Hockey School Land Deal = Election Issue

Post by fluffy »

That's just silly. Everybody gets to vote, that's as basic as it comes. We could just give smart people a couple extra.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
twobits
Guru
Posts: 7584
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 9:44 am

Re: Hockey School Land Deal = Election Issue

Post by twobits »

Jamesie wrote:Twobits' political philosophy summed up in three quotes

twobits wrote:As to eligibility to run for council I cannot agree with you. Living within city boundaries should not be a prerequisite. Only ownership. Ownership makes them a taxpayer just like yourself and they should have an equal voice and opportunity as you do. A person can live in a Motel for three months and qualify to run and vote under residency requirments yet you would deny a person that owns property here?


twobits wrote:Residency as a qualifier has it's weaknesses as well. My sisters ex neighbours provided 12 civic votes for one single family dwelling parcel tax. Is that a fair and proportional representation?


twobits wrote:I don't understand why people don't have to take some kind of basic test before they are allowed to cast a vote.


So we go back to limiting the vote to people who own property, have a certain income level and can pass an 'intelligence' test. Yep, that's how it worked in the grand ole days of yore, in Europe before universal suffrage, in the deep south of the US, when life was beautiful and all was well. When we could still send seven year kids to work down coalmines for fourteen hours a day, because rich industrialists could buy rotten boroughs and control parliament. When segregation and discrimination were rampant and lynchings common, because the local good ole boys could prevent people from voting if they could not spell disestablishmentarianism. And twobits thinks we should reinstate the political structures that we had in those days... Why stop there, why not hand all power over to an absolute monarch, deify the bugger and have him appoint his favorite horse to the senate? That would make for good representative government! Would represent some members of society to a tee (not identifying anyone in particular here... :) )


Hit your button huh? Let's all slam Winston Churhill too for saying "the greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter". I recognize the unfortunate truth in ol' Winston's words. You apparently do not.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Jo
Slot 16
Posts: 22663
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 1:33 pm

Re: Hockey School Land Deal = Election Issue

Post by Jo »

When I saw this thread and the endless posts about libel, I thought I was seeing a discussion about the law. Turns out it is not. Now keep it that way.
Jamesie
Fledgling
Posts: 332
Joined: Mar 26th, 2011, 9:59 pm

Re: Hockey School Land Deal = Election Issue

Post by Jamesie »

twobits wrote:Hit your button huh? Let's all slam Winston Churhill too for saying "the greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter". I recognize the unfortunate truth in ol' Winston's words. You apparently do not.


I happen to agree with another famous Churchill quote:

"Democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried."

I know you've been trying to hit my button with any number of things since I joined this forum and you managed to keep missing. But you've nailed it now. I get very nervous when people start talking about restricting the right to vote. Too much evidence, current and historical, where that may eventually lead. Of course I respect free speech, including the freedom to advocate the abolishment of democracy. But I am not going to ignore it when someone does. On the other hand, if you were just trying to find the right button: cool you have found it, now grow up.
Madtaxi
Fledgling
Posts: 136
Joined: Nov 5th, 2008, 11:49 am

Re: Hockey School Land Deal = Election Issue

Post by Madtaxi »

I see Mick Black is alive and well in this forum as he is on the CBC forum eh Twobits.
twobits
Guru
Posts: 7584
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 9:44 am

Re: Hockey School Land Deal = Election Issue

Post by twobits »

Madtaxi wrote:I see Mick Black is alive and well in this forum as he is on the CBC forum eh Twobits.


Who's Mick Black?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru
Posts: 7584
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 9:44 am

Re: Hockey School Land Deal = Election Issue

Post by twobits »

*Try reposting WITHOUT the personal attack and without the nested quotations. Your posts will continue to be removed if you don't stop both habits./Jo*
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Jamesie
Fledgling
Posts: 332
Joined: Mar 26th, 2011, 9:59 pm

Re: Hockey School Land Deal = Election Issue

Post by Jamesie »

*removed/Jo*
twobits
Guru
Posts: 7584
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 9:44 am

Re: Hockey School Land Deal = Election Issue

Post by twobits »

Jamesie wrote:
twobits wrote:Hit your button huh? Let's all slam Winston Churhill too for saying "the greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter". I recognize the unfortunate truth in ol' Winston's words. You apparently do not.


I happen to agree with another famous Churchill quote:

"Democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried."

I know you've been trying to hit my button with any number of things since I joined this forum and you managed to keep missing. But you've nailed it now. I get very nervous when people start talking about restricting the right to vote. Too much evidence, current and historical, where that may eventually lead. Of course I respect free speech, including the freedom to advocate the abolishment of democracy. But I am not going to ignore it when someone does. On the other hand, if you were just trying to find the right button: cool you have found it, now grow up.



OK, I'll try again leaving out one word. I was not talking about restricting anyones right to vote or abolishing democracy. I was just lamenting that so many people make little atempt to be informed voters.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “C.E. Penticton”