Hopkins / Chahal

User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22326
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Hopkins / Chahal

Post by fluffy »

twobits wrote:Just doing some quick math in my head.....given 7 council positions......would a representative makeup be 5 retired people over 65, one and a 1/2 employed people, and 1/2 a twenty something?


I don't know if a fully proportional representation would be the way to go, running the city is like running business so councilors with some level of business savvy would be the preferred route to follow, but having at least some representation by young and old would benefit. People being people, middle aged business types will tend to view the world through middle aged business eyes.
“You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”
― Daniel Patrick Moynihan
brentan
Fledgling
Posts: 154
Joined: Mar 10th, 2010, 1:30 pm

Re: Hopkins / Chahal

Post by brentan »

I think in a perfect world, a little infusion of youth would be well served. new ideas and not just the rhetoric from a certain few who are currently on council. Honestly can these young folks do much harm if they were to get elected.
Im hoping to attend the mayors debate tonight at Lakeside, as well the councillor one tommorrow!
Get out and see for yourself - Change is needed!
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2841
Joined: Jun 2nd, 2009, 4:37 pm

Re: Hopkins / Chahal

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:"operation clean sweep". That's funny. Did you see the Herald results to the poll question on who are you glad is trying to make a political comeback?

Gary Leaman 62%
Katie Robinson 20%


Herald? Herald? Wasn't that a newspaper that a few people USED to subscribe to? Gee...I'm surprised that its still operating; heard a LOT of folks cancelled their subscriptions due to highly biased opinions by the Editors. Definate Ashton supporters. I wouldnt put much stock in any poll that they put out.
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22326
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Hopkins / Chahal

Post by fluffy »

Current circulation of the Herald is about 8000. Fairly respectable I'd say, how many households are there in Penticton?
“You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”
― Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Captain77
Fledgling
Posts: 116
Joined: Oct 11th, 2011, 4:25 pm

Re: Hopkins / Chahal

Post by Captain77 »

-fluffy- wrote:Current circulation of the Herald is about 8000. Fairly respectable I'd say, how many households are there in Penticton?

Doesn't the Penticton Herald cover the entire South Okanagan? Oliver, Osoyoos, Penticton, O.K. Falls, Summerland, Kaleden, Naramata, West Bench? total population somewhere around 70,000 or 80,000?
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22326
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Hopkins / Chahal

Post by fluffy »

Captain77 wrote:Doesn't the Penticton Herald cover the entire South Okanagan? Oliver, Osoyoos, Penticton, O.K. Falls, Summerland, Kaleden, Naramata, West Bench? total population somewhere around 70,000 or 80,000?


Couldn't say for sure. Oliver, Osoyoos and Summerland all have their own newspapers, albeit weeklys. I'm just saying that a circulation of 8000 is no small potatoes in this area, I wouldn't be so quick to write it off. I've been reading it for years, and will continue to do so until someone shows me a better source for local news.
“You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”
― Daniel Patrick Moynihan
twobits
Guru
Posts: 7578
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 9:44 am

Re: Hopkins / Chahal

Post by twobits »

-fluffy- wrote:Current circulation of the Herald is about 8000. Fairly respectable I'd say, how many households are there in Penticton?


Somewhere around 14k.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru
Posts: 7578
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 9:44 am

Re: Hopkins / Chahal

Post by twobits »

-fluffy- wrote:
twobits wrote:Just doing some quick math in my head.....given 7 council positions......would a representative makeup be 5 retired people over 65, one and a 1/2 employed people, and 1/2 a twenty something?


I don't know if a fully proportional representation would be the way to go, running the city is like running business so councilors with some level of business savvy would be the preferred route to follow, but having at least some representation by young and old would benefit. People being people, middle aged business types will tend to view the world through middle aged business eyes.


My representative breakdown was intended to be very tongue in cheek
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3010
Joined: Jun 1st, 2010, 4:14 pm

Re: Hopkins / Chahal

Post by southy »

Twobits ... 14,000???? Not a chance unless you're talking to Andre Martin. Ask for an audited # which is for paid circulation only. They like to include the Southern Exposure which is nothing more than a flyer wrap. Don't bother going to their website as this information isn't something they are proud of so it won't be shown. If you want a true number contact the Penticton Western, I'm sure they would love to show you the Herald's #'s.
Last edited by southy on Nov 9th, 2011, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2841
Joined: Jun 2nd, 2009, 4:37 pm

Re: Hopkins / Chahal

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Twobits ... 14,000???? Not a chance unless you're talking to Andre Martin. Ask for an audited # which is for paid circulation only. They like to include the Southern Exposure which is nothing more than a flyer wrap. Don't bother going to their website as this information isn't something they are proud of so it won't be shown. If you want a true number contact the Penticton Western, I'm sure they've love to show you the Herald's #'s.


Agreed, Southy. I think that the figure quoted is off by a couple decimal points, and going down fast.
twobits
Guru
Posts: 7578
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 9:44 am

Re: Hopkins / Chahal

Post by twobits »

southy wrote:Twobits ... 14,000???? Not a chance unless you're talking to Andre Martin. Ask for an audited # which is for paid circulation only. They like to include the Southern Exposure which is nothing more than a flyer wrap. Don't bother going to their website as this information isn't something they are proud of so it won't be shown. If you want a true number contact the Penticton Western, I'm sure they would love to show you the Herald's #'s.


Read a little slower southy and XT. The 14k was in response to fluffy's question on how many households in Penticton, not Herald subscribers. I know you guys love it when I make a mistake but c'mon, this is a bit much.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru
Posts: 7578
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 9:44 am

Re: Hopkins / Chahal

Post by twobits »

I am really being impressed by this Hopkins kid. I wouldn't mind seeing him get in at all. Chahal nope. The fluff is coming to the top on that one.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Alex1967
Fledgling
Posts: 117
Joined: Apr 4th, 2009, 5:18 pm

Re: Hopkins / Chahal

Post by Alex1967 »

twobits wrote:I am really being impressed by this Hopkins kid. I wouldn't mind seeing him get in at all. Chahal nope. The fluff is coming to the top on that one.


I don't know a lot about him except he is a graduate of Harvard, impressive for someone to gain entry to that esteemed institution, and his father is a terrific man.
spacecadet
Fledgling
Posts: 252
Joined: Mar 25th, 2010, 4:19 pm

Re: Hopkins / Chahal

Post by spacecadet »

After attending the Councilors forum on Wednesday night, I have to say I was VERY impressed with Wes Hopkins and I sincerely hope he makes it onto Council.

He is like a breath of fresh air. A Harvard graduate, with a degree in political science, and a great speaker (that must come from being a member of the debating team). He was hands down the most well-spoken candidate and it sounds like he has really been doing some homework. It would be great to have some young blood on Council. I plan on voting YES for WES!
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2841
Joined: Jun 2nd, 2009, 4:37 pm

Re: Hopkins / Chahal

Post by XT225 »

spacecadet wrote:After attending the Councilors forum on Wednesday night, I have to say I was VERY impressed with Wes Hopkins and I sincerely hope he makes it onto Council.

He is like a breath of fresh air. A Harvard graduate, with a degree in political science, and a great speaker (that must come from being a member of the debating team). He was hands down the most well-spoken candidate and it sounds like he has really been doing some homework. It would be great to have some young blood on Council. I plan on voting YES for WES!


I, too, will be voting YES for WES. He is impressive to say the least. Not sure how he would get along with some of the older status quo present councillors though; another reason to vote them all off the Island.

Return to “C.E. Penticton”