Have bad credit? You don't get a job

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Have bad credit..you don't get a job

Post by GrooveTunes »

And if someone has access to sensitive information, I don't want them susceptible to bribes, etc.

What, like politicians?
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Don't like the request for credit check, then move on to new job somewhere else.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

GrooveTunes wrote:Don't bet on it. Maybe the unions can get this abuse of power stopped like they have in other cases.

How is it an abuse of power when it's standard practice in certain industries? It's up to each province to establish whether a credit check is an abuse of power, and if they decide it is, revisions to the Employment Standards Laws would come into play.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

We live in a police state and dang corporations are snooping way too much! Before you know it, you'll be required to provide other sensitive information about yourself. Like previous work experience and education!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Have bad credit? You don't get a job

Post by JLives »

kgcayenne wrote:Would you seek the services of a financial planner if their own were a total mess?

Would you hire an accountant who can't control his/her spending?

I would because I have been in this position. I did full cycle accounting and did it well. My credit was a mess from mistakes I made when I was younger. It would have made life incredibly difficult if I did not have employment that allowed me to fix those mistakes and work towards the good credit I have now. My personal issues were completely separate from my employment.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I agree J. You have to ask yourself is it really that unrealistic for a person who is out of work for an extended time to have a few credit issues?

I think a better judge of how productive a potential employee would be is to check the number of times they post on forums during business hours.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

How is it an abuse of power when it's standard practice in certain industries? It's up to each province to establish whether a credit check is an abuse of power, and if they decide it is, revisions to the Employment Standards Laws would come into play.

And now it looks like it may be challenged through grievances and so it should be. Hopefully in the Supreme Court of Canada if they lose the grievances which I'm sure they will.

So you're fine with not getting job after job because someone hacked your personal info, got credit in your name and then did a runner ruining you for years and years? It happens everyday more and more. Let us know how it turns out for you if it ever happens.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

GordonH wrote:Don't like the request for credit check, then move on to new job somewhere else.

Want to work for business X and don't want to sign a union card, then move on to a new job somewhere else.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Don't like the request for credit check, then move on to new job somewhere else.

GrooveTunes wrote:Want to work for business X and don't want to sign a union card, then move on to a new job somewhere else.

Now you got it
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Now you got it

Hopefully it will against the law to do credit checks someday for employment purposes.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

GrooveTunes wrote:So you're fine with not getting job after job because someone hacked your personal info, got credit in your name and then did a runner ruining you for years and years? It happens everyday more and more. Let us know how it turns out for you if it ever happens.

Not every job opening demand a credit check and the ones that do are usually upfront about it in the ad. Yes, identity fraud is becoming more commonplace but there are precautions you can take to greatly reduce it from happening.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

I would say any job where you are in a position of trust that a credit check is not a bad idea. Otherwise it is just another roadblock towards employment. People make mistakes but unless you spent time in jail or probation it is none of there business. What's next, sexual orientation?
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

If you want to know about your future employee check thier Facebook page. I'm amazed at what people post. My son in law actually posted how his job is so slack he surfs the net all shift. A co-worker posted a picture of a 1.5 litre bottle of tequila and a bag of weed under the heading, 'gonna be a great weekend'. Fact is I know people who have made a bad investment or got a divorce and thier credit stinks. Know more than a few people who have ventured into business oppurtunities that went south as well. But these are productive ambitious people. Someone who has been debt free for over a decade and has a perfect credit score may not have that fire in the belly as much as someone who needs the money. To me it's a lousy metric to begin with and really can't see the benefit of such an invasion of privacy.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I guess some jobs should require it.
Sometimes bad credit can come from a failed marriage, fail business(regardless of work ethic bad things happen).
Bad credit can also be created by deadbeats.
A credit check shouldn't replace a good interview, just add to it.

As far as giving that info out, most landlords require it for even the crappiest apartments.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

GrooveTunes wrote:
Hopefully it will against the law to do credit checks someday for employment purposes.

Hopefully it will be against the law someday to require membership in a union for employment purposes.
You and 71 others Like this post

Return to “Political Arena”