Strategic voting pitfalls

Civilized, with a Bickering Room for those who aren't.
User avatar
logicalview
Guru
Posts: 9792
Joined: Feb 6th, 2006, 4:59 pm

Re: Strategic voting pitfalls

Post by logicalview »

Urbane wrote:Ignore today's reality . . . that could well be the NDP campaign slogan.


Ignore ALL reality...that's the only way you can support the NDP. There truly is no other way.
Not afraid to say "It".
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2734
Joined: Aug 29th, 2005, 2:06 pm

Re: Strategic voting pitfalls

Post by mr.bandaid »

That's a little over the top. He is very controlling and autocratic when it comes to running his party but I would be very hard pressed to compare him to the Nazi party.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
User avatar
Merry
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 12925
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:41 pm

Re: Strategic voting pitfalls

Post by Merry »

mr.bandaid wrote:That's a little over the top. He is very controlling and autocratic when it comes to running his party but I would be very hard pressed to compare him to the Nazi party.

There was a time when I might have agreed with that statement. But not since Harper began stirring up ethnic tensions against a certain identifiable religious group.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
User avatar
marooned
Board Meister
Posts: 578
Joined: Oct 27th, 2008, 9:47 pm

Re: Strategic voting pitfalls

Post by marooned »

logicalview wrote:Ignore ALL reality...that's the only way you can support the NDP. There truly is no other way.


Is that REALLY a photo of Ted Cruz, above the name logicalview? I sincerely hope that one or both are a spoof; if not, your cnet account has been hacked!
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 33258
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Strategic voting pitfalls

Post by Glacier »

The Kelowna - West Kelowna riding is the perfect example of bad strategic voting. Earlier in the campaign strategic voters would be inclined to vote NDP, but now the polls show the Liberals ahead of the NDP in that riding, which means that many NDP supporters will be voting Liberal, offsetting the Liberal voters going the other way.
George+
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10008
Joined: Oct 10th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Re: Strategic voting pitfalls

Post by George+ »

And why strategic voting should not be based on polling.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 33258
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Strategic voting pitfalls

Post by Glacier »

George+ wrote:And why strategic voting should not be based on polling.

Yup, everyone should just vote NDP. Liberal, Green, Marxist-Lennonist, etc. If they all did this, there would be no vote splitting, and the NDP would win hands down. It's the fault of the stupid liberals.
User avatar
Merry
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 12925
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:41 pm

Re: Strategic voting pitfalls

Post by Merry »

The real reason that strategic voting seems so tempting to many, is the fact that our current system usually results in a Party that most of the electorate didn't vote for winning the seat.

What we really need is a new method of electing people, and both the NDP and the Liberals have promised to introduce such a method if they win.

It'll be interesting to see if either of them actually deliver on that promise, if elected. Because it will be hard for them to find the will to change a system that worked in their favour.

But I'm hopeful that they'll actually do it; because we really do need a change in this regard.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 33258
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Strategic voting pitfalls

Post by Glacier »

Merry wrote:The real reason that strategic voting seems so tempting to many, is the fact that our current system usually results in a Party that most of the electorate didn't vote for winning the seat.

That's not true. 100% of all ridings in the BC interior were won by more than 50% of the vote in 2011.
User avatar
Merry
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 12925
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:41 pm

Re: Strategic voting pitfalls

Post by Merry »

With respect Glacier, the BC Interior is only a very tiny percentage of the whole of Canada.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 33258
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Strategic voting pitfalls

Post by Glacier »

Merry wrote:With respect Glacier, the BC Interior is only a very tiny percentage of the whole of Canada.

This was the case for most of Canada. The Conservatives won 69% of their ridings with more votes than the Libs, NDP, and Greens combined. They won 95% of their ridings with more than 40% of the vote, and by any stretch of the imagination, 40% of the vote is enough to win in a runoff if we had such a method.
User avatar
logicalview
Guru
Posts: 9792
Joined: Feb 6th, 2006, 4:59 pm

Re: Strategic voting pitfalls

Post by logicalview »

Merry wrote:The real reason that strategic voting seems so tempting to many, is the fact that our current system usually results in a Party that most of the electorate didn't vote for winning the seat.


This certainly is the case in every riding that has an NDP MP.
Not afraid to say "It".
Jx3
Übergod
Posts: 1164
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2011, 7:46 pm

Re: Strategic voting pitfalls

Post by Jx3 »

Merry wrote:The real reason that strategic voting seems so tempting to many, is the fact that our current system usually results in a Party that most of the electorate didn't vote for winning the seat.


When there are more than two options available it should not be unexpected that the option that receives the most votes is not a simple majority. If you want to guarantee that there always be a simple majority in each election then do away with all the fringe parties and just go with the Libs and Cons.

Merry wrote:What we really need is a new method of electing people, and both the NDP and the Liberals have promised to introduce such a method if they win.


Actually I believe they both said they would create all-party committees to study different methods. I don't believe either of them have made any commitments to introduce something that hasn't even been studied yet.
George+
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10008
Joined: Oct 10th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Re: Strategic voting pitfalls

Post by George+ »

Now here is a current interesting poll:

http://www.ekospolitics.com/index.php/2 ... ervatives/

Note the Orange curve in the graph.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 33258
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Strategic voting pitfalls

Post by Glacier »

Return to “Political Arena”