Central Okanagan housing market thread

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Central Okanagan housing market thread

Postby W105 » Feb 20th, 2018, 7:16 am

and that's a good thing too LTD...our ovaries are made out of brass and getting slapped by them would leave a nice mark..lol

ohh LANDM :) now you are throwing up gang signs too ??? hahaha it's looks too tacky on you, you should stop :) a guy that BBQ's in a thong should have more pride for themselves :)

but seriously, you are right..some people love the condo/townhouse life...nothing wrong with that...my friend just isn't one of them and he found out the hard way...
W105
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3337 posts

Postby LANDM » Feb 20th, 2018, 7:18 am

Hey, I put up the biggest smiley face I could! :biggrin:
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 3448 posts

Postby normaM » Feb 20th, 2018, 8:55 am

I'm not so good following "rules" ( shocking to read I know) That's why I was thinking easing in by renting for awhile before committing.
idk, some of the " love the condo life" rings hollow from some, like how ppl have to say their children are the light of their Life even when they nasty lil beggars.
And if tenants did damage here I'm be so miserable.
PIt
Pendulum. As in all important decisions I made I think I'll just go buy shoes
Don't think yourself as an ugly person... Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey

3 people like this post.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3581 posts

Postby Even Steven » Feb 20th, 2018, 10:16 am

36Drew wrote:Does he have a maximum? I have more than $150k...

I've never heard of max amounts lol.

Sent you a PM.
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2095 posts

Postby normaM » Feb 20th, 2018, 10:24 am

er, why do ppl feel the need to talk about what they own money wise? I mean unless you planning to spend it on me - shrug
I sent you a pm Drew - you can ask if you want more info about him
Don't think yourself as an ugly person... Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Postby 36Drew » Feb 20th, 2018, 11:44 am

normaM wrote:er, why do ppl feel the need to talk about what they own money wise? I mean unless you planning to spend it on me - shrug
I sent you a pm Drew - you can ask if you want more info about him

Why do people feel the need to talk about what they own, house-wise?

Thanks for the PM. I'll reach out Same to Even Steven.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 516 posts

Postby normaM » Feb 20th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Have you ever seen me say my home's worth? Nopers :) I think you'd really like the person I recommended.. no harm contacting him and having a chat
I love filthy lire btw... alas I was born smart *bleep* instead of stinking rich
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Postby domain » Feb 20th, 2018, 3:41 pm

Well, here it is: http://bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/2018/newsrelease/2018_News_Release.pdf

It’s a long list of extras and freebies, some of which are difficult to understand the amounts, like $50 million for revitalization and preservation of native language, and some other odd sums and commitments. Basically, it’s the kind of profligate spending that you would expect if you left your Black MasterCard with its $150,000 limit, with your teenage kid for a long weekend.

How are they going to pay for it? Easy, “improved revenue forecasts” and monies from a speculation tax, expanded foreign buyer tax, and employer taxes for health care.

Looks like property rights are going to get side-swiped in this ‘budget’, real estate in particular. And that isn’t good for anyone, homeowner or renter. There is no way that manifesto, I mean budget, is going to balance.
Boring People Evade Exposure Prudently. Because Lame Opinions Won’t Suffice.
domain
Board Meister

Liked in: 287 posts

Postby 36Drew » Feb 20th, 2018, 4:06 pm

normaM wrote:
Anyone here gone from house to condo?

Yes, sort of. I'm in the definite realm of "condo" and in fact penthouse in a mixed use building.

Big adjustment to not having a garage/driveway. Tools and the like are in a storage locker. We have a toolbox in the house.with some basics.

Heating costs are way down. I have a good sized patio, but I have no lawn to mow or yard to look after. I've gotten rid of the mower and garden tools (donated to friends who could use them).

Groceries require carrying a little further. Hasn't bothered us at all. We went from two floors to one. Still ample space (just shy of 2000 sq ft.).

I bought a Roomba clone. The floor is constantly being vacuumed. Since there's no stairs it works out well.

There's a grocery store downstairs. We often grab some fresh produce for.dinner. I've also been ordering meals from chefs plate.

Before moving, we sold all of our old furniture and bought new stuff that better fits the place.

If you're getting ready to make the leap to condo living, I recommend renting for a period before committing. Another option may be to purchase a condo, and rent it after if you don't like it... Although you'd have to check strata bylaws first.to ensure you can indeed rent.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 516 posts

Postby W105 » Feb 20th, 2018, 5:31 pm

here's the "Homes for BC" link Domain....way more info..

http://bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/2018/homesbc/ ... For_BC.pdf
W105
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3337 posts

Postby forum » Feb 20th, 2018, 7:07 pm

Highlights from the BC Budget announcements today:

• An immediate increase to the foreign buyer tax from 15 per cent to 20 per cent, and an expansion to Kamloops, Kelowna, Greater Victoria and the Fraser Valley.

• A crackdown on fraud and tax evasion in the housing market, as well as a new two per cent speculation tax on those who don’t pay income tax in B.C.

• A hike on the property transfer tax on Feb. 21 from three per cent to five per cent on properties worth more than $3 million, as well as an increase on school taxes.

No need to have sex tonight. Glad to be renting as the crash continues.
forum
Guru

Liked in: 1416 posts

Postby forum » Feb 20th, 2018, 8:46 pm

forum
Guru

Postby Bpeep » Feb 20th, 2018, 10:13 pm

I think what you're missing is, it's not a govenmental effort to help thwart anything so your real estate dollar goes further, it's a slick avenue for government to stream a few more bucks out of the intergalactic gong show.
Adding taxes to a robust commodity will only drive prices higher a bit quicker than they otherwise would have.
Have fun renting out there everyone.
It's gonna get nasty for ya. Already is for many.
I chuckle tho at your countless justifications to rent something that you can't afford to buy.
Lotta dump houses are now fetching 3 k a month in rent.

The government is here to help you.
Lol.
I have a baseball for you. You're more than welcome to rent it.

2 people like this post.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Liked in: 10006 posts

Postby forum » Feb 20th, 2018, 10:33 pm

I think what you're missing is that anytime the government gets this involved the housing market tanks and over-corrects taking Canadians years to recover. Could be decades.
forum
Guru

Postby domain » Feb 20th, 2018, 11:29 pm

It’s an attempt at redistributing wealth. But like everything the gov touches, it will backfire in some ironic way - maybe driving the cost of rents upward. Also, with such an ambitious construction plan to build their utopia, of which the supply of homeless people will just outstrip the ‘generous’ redistribution, they may drive up the cost of Labour as well. Looking at that tax they plan to levy on businesses, we may see the occasional cut to make up that 1.95% tax.

Personally I see this budget as less of a slick avenue, and more of a botched organ theft in filthy damp alley. But it’s anyones guess at how this evolves, and people ought to be unhappy about the assault on their private property.
Boring People Evade Exposure Prudently. Because Lame Opinions Won’t Suffice.
domain
Board Meister

Liked in: 287 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room