Random drug testing for welfare recipients

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Random drug testing for welfare recipients

Postby GordonH » Jul 31st, 2018, 10:00 am

Okay, if random drug testing were to happen (highly doubtful). Then it had better be everyone or no one, no picking just 1 group.
“Be water my friend”.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
― Bruce Lee

Verum likes this post.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Liked in: 11122 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby LTD » Jul 31st, 2018, 10:04 am

yes everyone on welfare

2 people like this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3824 posts

Postby the truth » Jul 31st, 2018, 10:12 am

common_sense_guy wrote:There should be mandatory random drug testing for welfare recipients. After reading about the excess overdoses on welfare check day this should be looked into. Employers have a right to do random drug testing on their people at their job sites so why not with the welfare recipients who are getting a free ride. Their Free Ride shouldn't be so they can do drugs on our expense

agree 100%
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9678 posts

Postby GordonH » Jul 31st, 2018, 10:16 am

LTD wrote:yes everyone on welfare

Not just welfare... everyone, all or nobody
“Be water my friend”.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
― Bruce Lee

Verum likes this post.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Postby LTD » Jul 31st, 2018, 10:19 am

and why would that be I dont collect any money from government im self employed so I cant even collect ei if youre on welfare your income comes from the taxpayer and the taxpayer funding your drug problem isn't fair or right

the truth likes this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Postby W105 » Jul 31st, 2018, 10:23 am

but your tax dollars pay for ALL government employees (it also pays for their golden retirement packages) too...so shouldn't they too have to be tested ??? bet there's a few government employees that have drug or alcohol problems..

can't see them all being clean as a whistle...
W105
Guru

Liked in: 6625 posts

Postby Mtn Biker » Jul 31st, 2018, 10:24 am

Got to love the good nature citizens of Kelowna and here is another thread to demonstrate exactly why the community makes its own problems. Curious, are you aware many people must and do reach out for assistance from time to time. Some and many are repeat. Many are just one off, short term needs. So how do you test for the chronic welfare cases? Or do you just test everyone? So a person in a short term pinch should be lumped in with the rest?

It will never happen. And if it did, where to you draw the line? I suggest most of the posters here do some reading, learn the nuances of the issues, instead of the shoot, ready, aim approach as Kelowna city council is bent on repeating, again and again. I feel sorry for every person who judges others and have never walked a foot in their shoes, but have all the answers. It's that attitude the perpetuates the problems. When citizens learn this truth, maybe there will be enough good nature citizens that actually do something and make a positive change.

Carry on the conversation and blast away, I am sure pretty much every one being spoke about, isn't reading this anyhow.

OldIslander likes this post.
Mtn Biker
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 442 posts

Postby LTD » Jul 31st, 2018, 10:25 am

w105 theyre still doing a job providing a service not sitting on their skinny crackhead junkie arse sucking up our tax dollars
LTD
Lord of the Board

Postby LTD » Jul 31st, 2018, 10:29 am

Mtn Biker wrote:

Got to love the good nature citizens of Kelowna and here is another thread to demonstrate exactly why the community makes its own problems. Curious, are you aware many people must and do reach out for assistance from time to time. Some and many are repeat. Many are just one off, short term needs. So how do you test for the chronic welfare cases? Or do you just test everyone? So a person in a short term pinch should be lumped in with the rest?

It will never happen. And if it did, where to you draw the line? I suggest most of the posters here do some reading, learn the nuances of the issues, instead of the shoot, ready, aim approach as Kelowna city council is bent on repeating, again and again. I feel sorry for every person who judges others and have never walked a foot in their shoes, but have all the answers. It's that attitude the perpetuates the problems. When citizens learn this truth, maybe there will be enough good nature citizens that actually do something and make a positive change.

Carry on the conversation and blast away, I am sure pretty much every one being spoke about, isn't reading this anyhow.

I think it should be a prerequisite before you can even collect, I have had to pee in a cup for jobs before and life insurance disability insurance that's lumping me in with the druggies to how dare they do that to me that's life time to grow up or sleep in a cardboard box
LTD
Lord of the Board

Postby JLives » Jul 31st, 2018, 10:31 am

Why don't we take the money we would spend on this and just light it on fire? Cut out the middle man. This has been tried multiple times. Guess what? It costs bucket loads of money and the fail rate is slim. So you end up spending far more than is saved while simultaneously further marginalizing and dehumanizing a large group of our citizens. The vast majority of welfare recipients are not abusing drugs and even if they are, who cares? It either comes out of the welfare pot or the policing budget. Guess which one costs more?

Here's a better idea and it's cheaper: guaranteed minimum income with no qualifiers.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Verum likes this post.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7223 posts

Postby dle » Jul 31st, 2018, 10:33 am

soupy wrote:
common_sense_guy wrote:There should be mandatory random drug testing for welfare recipients. After reading about the excess overdoses on welfare check day this should be looked into. Employers have a right to do random drug testing on their people at their job sites so why not with the welfare recipients who are getting a free ride. Their Free Ride shouldn't be so they can do drugs on our expense

Ummm, please tell me which employers are permitted to do random drug testing.

Having worked in extremely safety sensitive job settings. Drug testing is only allowed pre-job, post-incident (if human error may be a factor), or reasonable cause to believe.

Random testing. Certainly not allowed.

https://www.canadaemploymenthumanrights ... workplace/

If it's not allowed it absolutely should be. Co-workers should not have to work around someone who has a habit of taking drugs - especially in situations where serious injury could occur - it's not safe.

Knowing employers are not allowed to test, do you feel safe knowing the mechanics to have okayed a plane for flight readiness might have been stoned and able to hide it well? It should not be a case of "wait til someone is hurt, then we will test to see if drugs were involved". An employer, the employees, the public should have the right to safe workplaces and services.

The law is way too far into protecting the rights of the ones doing wrong, at the expense of those not doing wrong.

Some laws are just stupid - not allowing random drug testing is one of them.
dle
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3887 posts

Postby soupy » Jul 31st, 2018, 10:43 am

Ummm, please tell me which employers are permitted to do random drug testing.

Having worked in extremely safety sensitive job settings. Drug testing is only allowed pre-job, post-incident (if human error may be a factor), or reasonable cause to believe.

Random testing. Certainly not allowed.

https://www.canadaemploymenthumanrights ... workplace/[/quote]

If it's not allowed it absolutely should be. Co-workers should not have to work around someone who has a habit of taking drugs - especially in situations where serious injury could occur - it's not safe.

Knowing employers are not allowed to test, do you feel safe knowing the mechanics to have okayed a plane for flight readiness might have been stoned and able to hide it well? It should not be a case of "wait til someone is hurt, then we will test to see if drugs were involved". An employer, the employees, the public should have the right to safe workplaces and services.

The law is way too far into protecting the rights of the ones doing wrong, at the expense of those not doing wrong.

Some laws are just stupid - not allowing random drug testing is one of them.[/quote]

And that is why Safety sensitive jobs can be subject to testing if there is reasonable cause.

No one said you cannot test. But you cannot randomly test.

If the workplace has good management and supervisors then workers who show up impaired wouldn't make it onto the job site in the morning to begin their shift.
soupy
Übergod

Liked in: 1149 posts

Postby GordonH » Jul 31st, 2018, 10:55 am

LTD wrote:and why would that be I dont collect any money from government im self employed so I cant even collect ei if youre on welfare your income comes from the taxpayer and the taxpayer funding your drug problem isn't fair or right

So in the end finding out the welfare recipient is addict, what then. No different then finding out John or Jane Doe are addicts, but they still have a job (most likely not for much longer).

Welfare addict no longer gets a cheque so he/she commits crimes to pay for there addiction.
John or Jane Doe lose their jobs, that happens "x" amount of times (since they to are addicts), they find themselves at welfare sooner or later.

Solution is somehow getting people off drug dependency. Unfortunately easier said then actually done.
“Be water my friend”.
― Bruce Lee
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Postby savvybusinessman » Jul 31st, 2018, 11:00 am

common_sense_guy wrote:After reading about the excess overdoses on welfare check day

These stories are always inaccurate. Social Assistance cheques are direct deposited on Tuesdays yet these news stories always talk about overdoses on Wednesdays and Thursdays and weirdly link them to SA cheque day, or "Welfare Wednesday."
savvybusinessman
Board Meister

Liked in: 258 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Jul 31st, 2018, 11:08 am

Most overdose victims. Are men. Cut men under 65 off all social assistance. Save some lives.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 3285 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room