Is the BC CDC and Dr Bonnie Failing Us. BICKER

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Is the BC CDC and Dr Bonnie Failing Us. BICKER

Postby my5cents » Aug 18th, 2020, 10:18 am

We’re seeing the numbers of confirmed Covid-19 cases rise drastically, we’re seeing daily videos of bar patrons not obeying physical distancing, huge house parties, large gatherings all over.

What do we hear from Dr. Bonnie ? “We have to be kind to each other and work at …..”

Today we have the Deputy provincial health officer Dr Reka Gustafson, advising that the new Covid-19 case mostly involved young people. Gustafson goes on to point out that : "What we do know is that COVID-19, especially among young and healthy individuals -not always, but can be and often is a relatively mild infection”

Great, lets get that message out to the group of the most self centered, irresponsible segment of our population that - “Don’t worry you’ll probably only have a mild case”

The police have been held back from charging people, “be kind”, “let’s love each other”, you know hold hands and sing Kumbaya and everything will be fine.

What about mandatory mask wearing in stores and any public building ? If bars or restaurants can’t police their patrons, they loose their business license plus large fines. Same for house parties over a threshold.

Am I the only one who thinks, we should REQUIRE people to exercise safe practices such as distancing, mask wearing, and no large groups.

“Let’s be kind to each other” isn’t working people.

As for N95 masks ??? I’m so sick and tired of fluff stories, a whale in a harbor, a bear in a back yard, ducks crossing the road.

How about some reporter start asking some tough questions of politicians ??? Where are all the N95 masks. IF N95 mask DO protect wearers and all the rest do just about squat for the wearer, why hasn’t the government, in the last 8 months insured that Canadian industry make N95 masks for all ???????

Also, all this bickering on these forums, "well I read....", "we don't need to ….." , "if stores require me, I'll wear a mask otherwise, I don't have to",,,,

If anything MIGHT help, do it, grow up, work together. And NO you don't have the right to risk the health of others. If you are not part of the solution your are part of the problem.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

8 people like this post.
my5cents
Guru

Liked in: 2928 posts

Re: Is the BC CDC and Dr Bonnie Failing Us ?

Postby Mrmarvingardens » Aug 18th, 2020, 11:18 am

Auntie Bonnie just wants to be nice........to everyone...Nice does just not work with some people.
We also have problems at the local level, with decisions made by ill thinking politicians....(Kelowna Council)..Closing Bernard avenue to the nachos and beer swilling crowd. The result? Increase Covid cases..the fear of catching it results in a 40/50 percent drop in customers..
I particularly like My5cents comments: rescued whales...wild pigs stealing lap tops..The weather on newscasts has now become a program feature....
Kelowna became the leader yesterday!..On Talk radio Lite the host discussed .....are you ready?...nose picking.
Is it any wonder that the media in Canada is in trouble?

3 people like this post.
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby johnny24 » Aug 18th, 2020, 11:44 am

my5cents wrote:We’re seeing the numbers of confirmed Covid-19 cases rise drastically, we’re seeing daily videos of bar patrons not obeying physical distancing, huge house parties, large gatherings all over.

What do we hear from Dr. Bonnie ? “We have to be kind to each other and work at …..”

Today we have the Deputy provincial health officer Dr Reka Gustafson, advising that the new Covid-19 case mostly involved young people. Gustafson goes on to point out that : "What we do know is that COVID-19, especially among young and healthy individuals -not always, but can be and often is a relatively mild infection”

Great, lets get that message out to the group of the most self centered, irresponsible segment of our population that - “Don’t worry you’ll probably only have a mild case”

The police have been held back from charging people, “be kind”, “let’s love each other”, you know hold hands and sing Kumbaya and everything will be fine.

What about mandatory mask wearing in stores and any public building ? If bars or restaurants can’t police their patrons, they loose their business license plus large fines. Same for house parties over a threshold.

Am I the only one who thinks, we should REQUIRE people to exercise safe practices such as distancing, mask wearing, and no large groups.

As for N95 masks ??? I’m so sick and tired of fluff stories, a whale in a harbor, a bear in a back yard, ducks crossing the road.

How about some reporter start asking some tough questions of politicians ??? Where are all the N95 masks. IF N95 mask DO protect wearers and all the rest do just about squat for the wearer, why hasn’t the government, in the last 8 months insured that Canadian industry make N95 masks for all ???????

Also, all this bickering on these forums, "well I read....", "we don't need to ….." , "if stores require me, I'll wear a mask otherwise, I don't have to",,,,

If anything MIGHT help, do it, grow up, work together. And NO you don't have the right to risk the health of others. If you are not part of the solution your are part of the problem.

Dr. Bonnie works for all segments of the population, not just yours.

Less than 1 death per day for quite a while now, so "lets be kind" seems to be working quite well. I am quite comfortable shopping & restaurants and playing sports. I don't share any of your fear and her policies have allowed us to get back to the things we enjoy doing in a relatively timely manner.

7 people like this post.
johnny24
Board Meister

Liked in: 323 posts

Postby OKkayak » Aug 18th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Compared to other places in Canada, we have and still are doing quite well. The key is to protect the vulnerable and that we've been doing a pretty fine job of.
"Conspiracy Theories are a way for idiots to feel like intellectuals."

- David Baddiel

2 people like this post.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 18808 posts

Postby my5cents » Aug 18th, 2020, 12:54 pm

johnny24 wrote:Dr. Bonnie works for all segments of the population, not just yours.

Less than 1 death per day for quite a while now, so "lets be kind" seems to be working quite well. I am quite comfortable shopping & restaurants and playing sports. I don't share any of your fear and her policies have allowed us to get back to the things we enjoy doing in a relatively timely manner.

The statistic are going up drastically, but as long as you are enjoying yourself, that's really all that matters.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Postby OKkayak » Aug 18th, 2020, 12:57 pm

my5cents wrote:The statistic are going up drastically, but as long as you are enjoying yourself, that's really all that matters.

Confirmed cases have been going up which was predicted. Deaths and hospitalizations have been going down.

- David Baddiel

Glacier likes this post.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Postby the truth » Aug 18th, 2020, 1:07 pm

my5cents wrote:We’re seeing the numbers of confirmed Covid-19 cases rise drastically, we’re seeing daily videos of bar patrons not obeying physical distancing, huge house parties, large gatherings all over.

imo she has done nothing , but yak the same useless bs on tv the last few months
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

7 people like this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 10767 posts

Postby johnny24 » Aug 18th, 2020, 1:09 pm

my5cents wrote:
johnny24 wrote:Dr. Bonnie works for all segments of the population, not just yours.

The statistic are going up drastically, but as long as you are enjoying yourself, that's really all that matters.

You'd rather everyone be miserable also? You don't think mental health is a huge issue if the lockdowns continued on longer?

What statistics are going up? Deaths aren't. From all reports, the cases have been confined to the 20-40 year olds, and right from your own post you have a quote that says COVID-19 is relatively mild for this segment. I don't think we should have stringent procedures for mild infections. I don't see many cases affecting the highly vulnerable anymore, or else we'd probably see the death rate go up.

We've flattened the curve with a minimal effect on the economy. We've now protected the vulnerable and allowed life to get back to somewhat normal. Wasn't this the goal from the start?

2 people like this post.
johnny24
Board Meister

Postby johnny24 » Aug 18th, 2020, 1:38 pm

the truth wrote:

imo she has done nothing , but yak the same useless bs on tv the last few months

Sometimes less is more. I know that some would have complained no matter what she did.
johnny24
Board Meister

Postby typhoon44 » Aug 18th, 2020, 1:48 pm

OKkayak wrote:
my5cents wrote:The statistic are going up drastically, but as long as you are enjoying yourself, that's really all that matters.

Confirmed cases have been going up which was predicted. Deaths and hospitalizations have been going down.

That was the argument used by Trump July 17th. Hospitalizations and deaths are lagging indicators (obviously).
US daily deaths 7 day average:
July 17 775
July 31 1183
typhoon44
Übergod

Liked in: 513 posts

Postby Jonrox » Aug 18th, 2020, 1:50 pm

Wow... overdramatic much? There's 4 people with COVID in the hospital right now in the entire province.

What we're doing is working just as it should be. We wanted to flatten the curve so that the healthcare system wouldn't be overburdened and 4 people in hospital is far from being a burden.

The goal was never to eliminate the virus, it was to flatten the curve. I think a lot of folks have forgotten that.

That some of you are freaking out over people getting sick but not sick enough to even go to the hospital, let alone die, is kinda crazy.

5 people like this post.
Jonrox
Guru

Liked in: 4611 posts

Postby OKkayak » Aug 18th, 2020, 2:13 pm

typhoon44 wrote:Hospitalizations and deaths are lagging indicators (obviously).

Of course they're lagging, but we're already weeks in with climbing cases and the hospitalizations have still gone down. There are other factors at play, such as who is testing positive. You could have a thousand infections a day, but if their immune systems are good, then that number becomes nothing more than a possible prediction for future modelling of what could happen.

- David Baddiel

2 people like this post.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Postby Kroynon » Aug 18th, 2020, 2:49 pm

I was hoping someone would start another poorly disguised thread ranting about masks today and special thanks for informing everyone what you think their rights should be.
Insert random quote, to try and make yourself appear to be of superior intelligence, here.
Kroynon
Fledgling

Liked in: 284 posts

Postby my5cents » Aug 18th, 2020, 2:53 pm

Jonrox wrote:Wow... overdramatic much? There's 4 people with COVID in the hospital right now in the entire province.

What we're doing is working just as it should be. We wanted to flatten the curve so that the healthcare system wouldn't be overburdened and 4 people in hospital is far from being a burden.

The goal was never to eliminate the virus, it was to flatten the curve. I think a lot of folks have forgotten that.

That some of you are freaking out over people getting sick but not sick enough to even go to the hospital, let alone die, is kinda crazy.

The videos of the bars without physical distancing, the house parties, were taken just a day or so ago. We have two weeks to see what happens.

Canada is doing well compared to some countries, poorly compared to others.

We are flooded with US stats and compared to the US we are doing great in most areas.

In Canada we are at 3,247 +/- confirmed cases per million population, the US is at 17,186,

Canada's death rate per case of Covid-19 is 7.35% (yes there is a lag, so numbers could be worse), the US is 3.10%

BC's death rate per case is 4.13%.

OKkayak wrote:Compared to other places in Canada, we have and still are doing quite well. The key is to protect the vulnerable and that we've been doing a pretty fine job of.

If you call putting a healthy elderly person in lockdown as doing a pretty fine job. Ya, I know,, out of sight, out of mind, the stats are good, so it's working.

A family acquaintance will be 96 next month. His wife has been going down hill with dementia for many years. A steady progression of care facilities. Earlier this year, he couldn't visit her at all. Recently he and he alone was allowed in to visit with her.

She passed away last week, he got the call,,, "you wife is dead, get her stuff out". My wife and I attended to help him, but he was the only person allowed in the building and staff didn't lift a finger to help him move her belongs from her room.

A great situation, the elderly remain isolated and locked down or semi locked down, so others can as "johnny24" said : "allowed us to get back to the things we enjoy doing in a relatively timely manner"

As for the numbers, actually our stats aren't quite as "rosie" as you may think.

Canada is divided into 13 areas. Nunavut is really the epidemy of physical distancing, and thus have zero cases, the Northwest Territories is a close second with 5 cases and zero deaths.

Out of the 13 areas, in cases per population BC is 6th from the top. Five have higher cases per million and seven have less, but as I said Nunavut is an anomaly.

We're the same rating (5th) in death per million population. The next province with less deaths per million, however is less than half our rate. We have 39 per mil, SK has 19.

So if Canada was a school, BC would be a "C". Not what I would call "doing a pretty fine job"

2 people like this post.
my5cents
Guru

Postby the truth » Aug 18th, 2020, 2:57 pm

wait till school starts again
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 10767 posts

Next

Return to Bickering Room