Bkr.All things Jagmeet

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: All things Jagmeet

Post by Merry »

Which politician makes the most money is irrelevant to this particular discussion. But, for the sake of argument, let’s agree that none of the three main Party leaders are poor.

There, now we’ve got THAT out of the way, let’s focus on whether or not Singh made a good bargain with Trudeau in return for a promise to work towards free dental care and Pharmacare.

Without firm timelines, those promises are meaningless. Yet Singh foolishly agreed to prop up the Liberal minority Government for the next three years, based entirely on those meaningless, empty promises.

That’s not good leadership; that’s stupidity.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Merry wrote: May 16th, 2022, 11:42 am Which politician makes the most money is irrelevant to this particular discussion. But, for the sake of argument, let’s agree that none of the three main Party leaders are poor.
Might want to direct the post at the kool aid drinker that first brought out Jagmeets supposed Rolex watch and his Beemer.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Merry wrote: May 16th, 2022, 11:42 am Which politician makes the most money is irrelevant to this particular discussion. But, for the sake of argument, let’s agree that none of the three main Party leaders are poor.

There, now we’ve got THAT out of the way, let’s focus on whether or not Singh made a good bargain with Trudeau in return for a promise to work towards free dental care and Pharmacare.

Without firm timelines, those promises are meaningless. Yet Singh foolishly agreed to prop up the Liberal minority Government for the next three years, based entirely on those meaningless, empty promises.

That’s not good leadership; that’s stupidity.
Great post Merry. And exactly right. The kool-aid drinking fools in the NDP just keep propping up the terrible Liberals. It is to weep.
Justin Trudeau summed up by Stephen LeDrew:

Cockwomble: a person prone to making outrageously stupid statements and/or inappropriate behaviour while generally having a very high opinion of his own wisdom and importance.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

foenix wrote: May 16th, 2022, 11:49 am
Might want to direct the post at the kool aid drinker that first brought out Jagmeets supposed Rolex watch and his Beemer.
You’re all as bad as each other!
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Merry wrote: May 16th, 2022, 12:21 pm
foenix wrote: May 16th, 2022, 11:49 am

You’re all as bad as each other!
Relatively speaking, I'm sure the instigator is worse than the responder.
erinmore3775
Übergod

Post by erinmore3775 »

[url][https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/libera ... 393981/url]

It would appear that dental care for children under the age of 12 could state before the end of this year.

“The plan is to be phased in over three years before the Liberal-NDP agreement expires in 2025.

Starting later this year, children under 12 would become eligible for the program.

In 2023, the coverage would be extended to 18-year-olds, seniors and people living with disabilities.

The program would be fully implemented by 2025 under the proposed timeline.The plan is to be phased in over three years before the Liberal-NDP agreement expires in 2025.
Starting later this year, children under 12 would become eligible for the program.
In 2023, the coverage would be extended to 18-year-olds, seniors and people living with disabilities.
The program would be fully implemented by 2025 under the proposed timeline.”

This explains why dentists have already been given a heads-up about the coming policy.

The pharmacare issue will take longer since it involves federal/provincial negotiations and several provinces already have pharmacare of some sort. The NDP have outlined a pathway in which negotiations may proceed, but no timeline has been set out and no negotiations scheduled. The accord runs until 2025, but if significant progress is not made on both the dental care and pharmacare issues, the NDP will withdraw their support.
We can’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

erinmore3775 wrote: May 16th, 2022, 12:58 pm [url][https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/libera ... 393981/url]

It would appear that dental care for children under the age of 12 could state before the end of this year.

“The plan is to be phased in over three years before the Liberal-NDP agreement expires in 2025.

The program would be fully implemented by 2025 under the proposed timeline.The plan is to be phased in over three years before the Liberal-NDP agreement expires in 2025.

This explains why dentists have already been given a heads-up about the coming policy.

The pharmacare issue will take longer since it involves federal/provincial negotiations and several provinces already have pharmacare of some sort. The NDP have outlined a pathway in which negotiations may proceed, but no timeline has been set out and no negotiations scheduled. The accord runs until 2025, but if significant progress is not made on both the dental care and pharmacare issues, the NDP will withdraw their support.
I sincerely hope the Liberals follow through this time, because having good dental health is key to good health in general. A good dental care program could actually help save money by helping keep people out of our regular healthcare system. And, in a country as wealthy as Canada, access to regular dental care for children ought to be a “no brainer”. No child should have to grow up with bad teeth because their parents can’t afford to pay for a dentist.

However, given the Liberals past track record on this particular topic, I’ll save my praise until I actually see the promised program in place.

All that said, I still think Singh could, and should, have struck a better bargain than he did. Agreeing to give the Libs a virtual “free pass” to rule as a majority Government for the next 3 years was irresponsible, and a betrayal of all those folks who chose NOT to vote for a Liberal majority.

In short, Singh should have struck a better bargain. He could have agreed to support the Libs on one or two key issues, and that’s all. As it is, instead of acting like a Leader of an Opposition Party, he’s now more akin to a Liberal backbencher. And that’s not what most NDP voters expected when they voted for him. He’s let them down.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Merry wrote: May 16th, 2022, 1:46 pm
erinmore3775 wrote: May 16th, 2022, 12:58 pm [url][https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/libera ... 393981/url]

I sincerely hope the Liberals follow through this time, because having good dental health is key to good health in general. A good dental care program could actually help save money by helping keep people out of our regular healthcare system. And, in a country as wealthy as Canada, access to regular dental care for children ought to be a “no brainer”. No child should have to grow up with bad teeth because their parents can’t afford to pay for a dentist.

However, given the Liberals past track record on this particular topic, I’ll save my praise until I actually see the promised program in place.

All that said, I still think Singh could, and should, have struck a better bargain than he did. Agreeing to give the Libs a virtual “free pass” to rule as a majority Government for the next 3 years was irresponsible, and a betrayal of all those folks who chose NOT to vote for a Liberal majority.

In short, Singh should have struck a better bargain. He could have agreed to support the Libs on one or two key issues, and that’s all. As it is, instead of acting like a Leader of an Opposition Party, he’s now more akin to a Liberal backbencher. And that’s not what most NDP voters expected when they voted for him. He’s let them down.
He can withhold his support anytime he wants. Jagmeet basically has JT by his political gonads if you ask me.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Well, only time will tell. But the way I see it the Libs will probably keep the NDP on a string, getting them to do their bidding while dangling the “carrots” they promised, without actually delivering on the full package. And by the time the NDP realize they’ve been duped, this particular term of Office will be almost over.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Merry wrote: May 16th, 2022, 4:18 pm Well, only time will tell. But the way I see it the Libs will probably keep the NDP on a string, getting them to do their bidding while dangling the “carrots” they promised, without actually delivering on the full package. And by the time the NDP realize they’ve been duped, this particular term of Office will be almost over.
I like to give Jagmeet a little more credit than that. I'm pretty sure JT will deliver on the carrot way before the next election. Y'all asked JT to be more experienced so I'm pretty sure he knows who's holding what in his hand.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I hope you’re right but, like I already said, only time will tell.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

foenix wrote: May 16th, 2022, 4:24 pm

I like to give Jagmeet a little more credit than that.
I don't. He sucks.
I'm pretty sure JT will deliver on the carrot way before the next election.
I'm pretty sure Dumb dumb JT will not deliver.
Y'all asked JT to be more experienced so I'm pretty sure he knows who's holding what in his hand.
No, "we'all" asked Justin to be less stupid, and less of a coward. We also asked Jagmeet the exactly same thing. And all they've done is become even dumber, and much bigger cowards. What terrible awful leadership from these two brain-dead bozos.

Cockwomble: a person prone to making outrageously stupid statements and/or inappropriate behaviour while generally having a very high opinion of his own wisdom and importance.
I_am_a_Liberal
Übergod

Post by I_am_a_Liberal »

Merry wrote: May 16th, 2022, 8:12 am My position is that if Canadians had WANTED a Liberal majority government, they would have ELECTED one.
People need to learn how our system works. All the spilled milk *bleep* is exhausting. In our system - the ones with the MOST seats - get first dibs to form a government. And the stress test is usually a budget. Just like Harper did before he prorogued to avoid a non-confidence. The biggest irony is that conservative voters thought forming a minority government was a great idea. And now that the Liberals are doing so - they suddenly get amnesia about how things actually work. Settle down and wait for your chance next election. Your party preference may have to do a terrible thing in your eyes and form a minority government. And then you will be just fine with it.
I_am_a_Liberal
Übergod

Post by I_am_a_Liberal »

foenix wrote: May 16th, 2022, 9:27 amI'm sure the NDP doesn't see it that way as to giving the Liberals carte blanche to rule Canada.....it seems to me Jagmeet got exactly what their party was looking for, share of the power and the ability to withhold that support anytime it wants.
That's the baffling thing. Conservatives have no clue how to work together with anyone. And cant negotiate in good faith to save their life. Just look at the SCOTUS "roe vs wade" insanity in the US. Or how Chrispy lost Weaver in BC. On the other hand, Jagmeet knows how to negotiate with others - and how to do good things for Canadians. If only the ACTUAL opposition didn't abdicate their role to work for Canadians and make them accountable. If they had good ideas and policies - and were not a party of NO - they may sway the other seats in the house besides Liberals. Instead, they play the victim because they would rather shoot themselves in the feet. I for one am glad that Jagmeet isn't insane like the many potential leaders in the conservative camp. The leader will be voted upon and then the BS will be dialled to 11. Missing a chance yet again to their ACTUAL job. Which is what Jagmeet is doing.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

I_am_a_Liberal wrote: May 16th, 2022, 6:47 pm

People need to learn how our system works.
Yes. Somehow some truly evil people, Justin and Jagmeet, have been allowed to usurp power. Truly a terrible day in Canada's history, to have such disgusting people able to make decisions on our behalf. Be gone you two scumbags! You are a blight on our country!!

Return to “Bickering Room”