B.C. Election 2013

Discuss the upcoming provincial election. Keep it civil in here, people. It's not the Political Arena.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: B.C. Election 2013

Post by Urbane »

Good for Craig McInnis again. Thanks for posting that column, flaming, because it shows the guy's neutrality and objectivity. And like myself he doesn't portray the BC Liberals as angels but he also looks at the faults of the NDP which is something that some posters on here refuse to do.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^
So were the two breaches the same? Hardly.

(from C. McInnis)

So now Urbane can you admit that Bennett's finger pointing showed 4 fingers pointing back to the Liberals?
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:So now Urbane can you admit that Bennett's finger pointing showed 4 fingers pointing back to the Liberals?
Unlike you I've always acknowledged that we have two flawed parties (four if you count the Conservatives and the Greens) and I've said that the Liberals don't deserve to be reelected. However, the fact that the NDP is more flawed than the Liberals means that I will vote for the party most likely to defeat the NDP in my riding. That party is most likely the Liberals. Giving the NDP a free pass is a big mistake and allowing the NDP to have a huge majority would be a blunder right up there with voting to extinguish the HST.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Urb wrote:

However, the fact that the NDP is more flawed than the Liberals

:coffeecanuck:
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

^^You prove my point yet again. You only look in one direction and that can be very dangerous when crossing the street or when deciding who should govern us.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Urb wrote:
You only look in one direction and that can be very dangerous when crossing the street or when deciding who should govern us.

You have steadfastly declared you are voting Liberal. I have NOT declared who I am voting for. Perhaps it is you who looks in only ONE direction. Be careful crossing the street, Urb......
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:You have steadfastly declared you are voting Liberal. I have NOT declared who I am voting for. Perhaps it is you who looks in only ONE direction. Be careful crossing the street, Urb......
I'll vote for whichever party has the best chance of defeating the NDP and I'm pretty sure that will be Liberal. Unlike you I do give the Liberals credit for UBCO, UNBC, the KGH expansion with the new cardiac wing, the Royal Jubilee refurbishing, the Vernon Jubilee expansion, the Port Mann Bridge, and the WR Bennett Bridge. And how about the new medical school in Kelowna that will help us with our nurse and doctor shortage that was created by the NDP? Those are all accomplishments. I also see the flaws and ethical lapses of the current government. But unlike you I see the flaws and ethical lapses of the NDP.

Here's a question for you: Which BC government was the last one not to have ethical lapses and scandals? We know it wasn't the 1990's NDP government. Remember Bingogate and Harcourt taking the fall? Remember Glen Clark resigning in disgrace? Adrian Dix resigning in disgrace? And we sure know that it wasn't the Socreds before that with a clean slate. Remember Bill Vander Zalm stepping down because of a conflict of interest? Even the WAC Bennett government had a cabinet minister end up in jail.

One day on here when I mentioned many of the accomplishments of this government one poster came back with "It doesn't matter because they're all crooks." Emotional, highly partisan rhetoric but not fact based. I look BOTH ways. The Liberals have dropped the ball too many times and don't deserve to be reelected. But the NDP don't deserve to be elected either. Try looking both ways for a change. It will serve you well.
dudlee
Übergod

Post by dudlee »

Gee, really , Christy is promising big projects before the election , yet she was really working on "the ethic vote" .

What a joke , it's like when Lord Gordo promised the world and then sprung the HST on us after that election . If a Fiberals lips are moving they are LYING . Gordo cancelled thousands of hip and knee replacement surgeries so he could steal the funding for his Olympics . I know it is true because my own surgery was postponed , by a year and a half .

The Liberals scream about spending on the F-35 when there has been NO SPENDING . The only noise spent were in the initial contract , which was negotiated y the fed Liberals , well same thing here , "Where are the funds going to come from , for the Penticton hospital tower , when they sill haven't even finished the new Cardio Center at KGH that was to completed and up and running by Dec. ,2012 , and yet it still is NOT DONE

Christy can promise the world , but reality is that the Liberals are a joke.
"A lie stated over a long enough period of time, becomes the truth" Adolf Hitler. But I say , "A half truth is a lie and there is always two sides to a story, but only one truth"
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Yes. They are.
That would be ETHNIC vote.
The have no ethics!
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

And one has to really question the information we are getting from this Liberal government when they use a document such as this to promote the Kitimat refinery:

NOTE: This is only an excerpt from Norm Farrell's site. Go to the link to read the entire article and the comments.

Days after Premier Clark's announcement in the legislature, her government released a report from oil industry consultants Navigant, claiming "that building a refinery on the coast of British Columbia has economic merit and should be seriously considered by the government of British Columbia."

However, the depth of analysis leading to this conclusion is suspect. On page two of the report is a notice to readers:

"This report ...was prepared for the Government of British Columbia... on terms specifically limiting the liability of Navigant Consulting...

"Navigant’s conclusions are ...based in part upon materials provided by the Client and others, and these materials have not been independently verified for accuracy or validity. Therefore, Navigant does not make any representations or warranties of any kind with respect to the accuracy or completeness of the information contained in this report..."

Facts not independently verified? In other words, the consultant's report has little probative value, shaped as it is by the Liberal government for partisan purposes. Of course, the Chambers of Commerce, the Vancouver Sun and other fellow travellers are applauding uncritically but, given the Liberal record of deceit, we surmise that the entire Kitimat Clean project will ride Axel Wenner-Gren's monorail to oblivion

http://northerninsights.blogspot.ca/201 ... mment-form
Chill
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

... do we want to grow the size of the government with the NDP ...

:dyinglaughing: I love the irony – however, the efforts by these apologists are far from creative being as easy to see through as they are. The government bureaucracy in this province has never been bigger or more bloated than it has been under the BC Liberals. Do the apologists really think anyone is buying this crap anymore? This is as lame as trying to sell us “open and transparent” government, or the “Free (“well, it’s not free but you can have it for a dollar”) Enterprise” Party. What a hoot.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Flaming, in looking at the upcoming BC election, and specifically looking at this thread, it seems to me far more useful to discuss issues and facts rather than posting excerpts from blogs that are slanted in one direction or the other. This excerpt is all I really need to read to know where your blogger is coming from:

Of course, the Chambers of Commerce, the Vancouver Sun and other fellow travellers are applauding uncritically but, given the Liberal record of deceit . . .

The Liberals have made their share of mistakes but they've done plenty of things well too. When I post a list of some of their accomplishments (UBCO etc etc) all I get back is either no response or some comment about all Liberals being criminals. Until we can have a civilized discussion on here and throughout the province about the actual issues we're not really doing due diligence. The BC Liberals shouldn't be the only party vetted.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Would you say that this disclaimer is 'slanted':

"This report ...was prepared for the Government of British Columbia... on terms specifically limiting the liability of Navigant Consulting...

"Navigant’s conclusions are ...based in part upon materials provided by the Client and others, and these materials have not been independently verified for accuracy or validity. Therefore, Navigant does not make any representations or warranties of any kind with respect to the accuracy or completeness of the information contained in this report..."
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

^^ These days it's probably a wise idea for any company in that position to have a disclaimer. There are some big issues out there and I'm thinking of what really makes an economy tick and what doesn't. Once Adrian Dix lets us know his plans, if he in fact does, we can put them under the microscope so that we're not just looking at the policies/plans etc of the government in power. Makes sense to me. It's easy to get bogged down on the small stuff and forget the big picture.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^Didn't answer my question, Urb.

The disclaimer CLEARLY states:

Navigant's "report is based only on information that was given to them by the Liberal government and "does not make any representations or warranties of any kind with respect to the accuracy or completeness of the information contained in this report."

Would you say that the Liberals are attempting to use this report to make a case for the Kitimat refinery in view of the fact that it is a flawed report in view of the disclaimer?
Chill

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2013”