Massive BC Debt

Discuss the upcoming provincial election. Keep it civil in here, people. It's not the Political Arena.
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Massive BC Debt

Post by Joe Public »

When the BC Liberal took power, the BC Debt was $33,000,000,000.

Today, the debt is estimated at $66,000,000,000.

That means that in a decade of BC Liberal rule, the BC debt has doubled. It took 140 years to accrue the first $33b, and 12 years to double it.

How can the BC Liberals suggest that they have a balanced budget when they have accrued $33b in new debt?

Given that rate, if the BC Liberals are re-elected for another term, then in 4 years, our children would owe $100,000,000,000.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Massive BC Debt

Post by grammafreddy »

And then there's the national debt, as well. :127:
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Joe Public wrote: then in 4 years, our children would owe $100,000,000,000.

My kids owe me that much now! :127:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Joe Public wrote:When the BC Liberal took power, the BC Debt was $33,000,000,000.

Today, the debt is estimated at $66,000,000,000.

That means that in a decade of BC Liberal rule, the BC debt has doubled. It took 140 years to accrue the first $33b, and 12 years to double it.

How can the BC Liberals suggest that they have a balanced budget when they have accrued $33b in new debt?

Given that rate, if the BC Liberals are re-elected for another term, then in 4 years, our children would owe $100,000,000,000.

That's bad, eh? Can you imagine how much worse it would be under the NDP, who have already promised to further increase the debt, have no intention of balancing the budget, want to repeal balanced budget legislation so that they can deficit finance with impunity, and who threaten to lose our AAA credit rating which would further exacerbate the debt?

Totally scary prospect, which makes the BC Liberals' plans one heck of a lot better for the taxpayers of BC and our future generations.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

And don't forget about the 96 billion in contractual obligations over the next 30-40 years for things like private power producers and their contracts that the Liberals signed, that by law BC Hydro has to buy their power at 4 or more times the rate that BC hydro can produce it for themselves. Also the contracts go for the many 3 P projects that this government has built.They have pretty much maxed out the credit cards and the grand kids ,kids will be paying for it.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Of course, we all know that contractual obligations are not debt, since contractual obligations can be paid from incoming revenues.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

Rwede..

I'm not sure if you get paid for your propaganda, but you should.

The current BC budget is not balanced, as you seem to suggest, but I do know that it is one of your talking points. Selling your house to pay your debt is not sound fiscal management, as the BC Liberals would have you believe. You do know that only 20% of BC residents actually believe the BC Liberals when they say that the budget is balanced?

It does not matter which party gets into power, the current fiscal plan does not meet the revenue needs of the province and whoever wins will have to raise taxes. Both the BC Liberals and the NDP have agreed to tax increases so your suggestion that only the NDP will raise taxes is moot. That tells me that the party that put the current plan into action has not managed it correctly.

So in the past 12 years, the BC Liberals have only balanced the budget 4 times. That is only 25% of the time, a pretty poor record. And you seem to state that it is better to have balanced budget legislation and not meet it, than to get rid of flawed legislation. It would seem that 75% of the time, it was the BC Liberals that ran up deficit financing with political impunity.

It would seem that the BC Liberal plan of not even admitting your errors and doing nothing to repair them would be the scariest plan.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

Wrong thread, oops
Last edited by maple leaf on Apr 15th, 2013, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

Rwede wrote:Of course, we all know that contractual obligations are not debt, since contractual obligations can be paid from incoming revenues.

That is why I said contractual obligation not debt as that is the technical correct term to use.The bottom line though is BC tax payers are on the hook to pay it off.
Its_Like_That
Fledgling

Post by Its_Like_That »

grammafreddy wrote:And then there's the national debt, as well. :127:

And then there is Dix PROMISING to increase it even before he takes his pedestal!
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Joe Public wrote:Rwede..

I'm not sure if you get paid for your propaganda, but you should.

The current BC budget is not balanced, as you seem to suggest, but I do know that it is one of your talking points. Selling your house to pay your debt is not sound fiscal management, as the BC Liberals would have you believe. You do know that only 20% of BC residents actually believe the BC Liberals when they say that the budget is balanced?

It does not matter which party gets into power, the current fiscal plan does not meet the revenue needs of the province and whoever wins will have to raise taxes. Both the BC Liberals and the NDP have agreed to tax increases so your suggestion that only the NDP will raise taxes is moot. That tells me that the party that put the current plan into action has not managed it correctly.

So in the past 12 years, the BC Liberals have only balanced the budget 4 times. That is only 25% of the time, a pretty poor record. And you seem to state that it is better to have balanced budget legislation and not meet it, than to get rid of flawed legislation. It would seem that 75% of the time, it was the BC Liberals that ran up deficit financing with political impunity.

It would seem that the BC Liberal plan of not even admitting your errors and doing nothing to repair them would be the scariest plan.

1.) the current BC budget has undergone rigid investigation by the credit agencies and their financial experts, and by Dr. Tim O’Neil, a highly accredited economist, and it has been certified balanced by those independent reviews. The only people disbelieving are those with political motivation or ignorance of economics and finance (sometimes those are combined)
2.) I nowhere suggested that the NDP would be the only ones to raise taxes, instead, i suggested they plan on rasing taxes and spending more, which would increase the debt, They've already promised to do so.
3.) balanced budget legislation is important to keep politicians accountable. Also, the budget has been balanced (and in a surplus position) far more under the BC Liberals than the NDP. It was never balanced under the NDP, despite the generous amount of Fudge from Dosanjh.
4.) you say that we must raise taxes...no, not necessarily, although that is the NDP's plan and they will still run massive deficits. The BC Libs are also cutting spending to balance the budget, which the NDP have no intention of doing. The NDP currently has some $9 billion in outstanding promises to fulfill, as well, to add on top of the current spending levels.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Its_Like_That wrote:And then there is Dix PROMISING to increase it even before he takes his pedestal!

What does Dix have to do with the national debt?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

I keep hearing this "balanced budget" term being thrown around - wonder what they mean by that exactly...
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Sn0man wrote:I keep hearing this "balanced budget" term being thrown around - wonder what they mean by that exactly...

Traditional sense is that income from taxes and other revenue streams are covering (or covering +) current expenses - including debt servicing. In your household sense it would mean your paycheck covers all the living expenses + payments on credit cards. Contrary to some posters here, you can have debt AND balanced budget.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Its_Like_That
Fledgling

Post by Its_Like_That »

Its_Like_That wrote:And then there is Dix PROMISING to increase it even before he takes his pedestal!

grammafreddy wrote:What does Dix have to do with the national debt?

By "it" I meant the provincial debt, but I get ya.

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2013”