Liberals /Gwyn Morgan/SNC Lavalin corruption

Discuss the upcoming provincial election. Keep it civil in here, people. It's not the Political Arena.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Liberals /Gwyn Morgan/SNC Lavalin corruption

Post by maple leaf »

Liberals have been doing business with SNC Lavalin on many projects in BC,and just lately SNC Lavalin was awarded the contract for the Evergreen line.Christy Clarks friend and transition team chairman Mr Gwyn Morgan was also on the board of SNC Lavaliln but has recently stepped down.SNC Lavalin has now been suspended from the right to bid on World Bank projects for 10 tears in bribery settlements.These are the kinds of people Christy Clark and the Liberals are involved with.

SNC-Lavalin suspended from right to bid on World Bank projects for 10 years in bribery settlement

Canadian Press | 13/04/17 5:04 PM ET
More from Canadian Press

John Mahoney/THE GAZETTENo financial penalty was imposed and other SNC-Lavalin Group subsidiaries will be able to bid on such contracts if they meet the terms of the agreement, SNC added.
Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Email Comments More
MONTREAL — SNC-Lavalin Group Inc. (TSX:SNC) said Wednesday a settlement has been reached with the World Bank Group in an investigation into allegations of bribery involving a bridge contract in Bangladesh.

A number of terms of the settlement were being withheld, but they included a suspension of the right of a subsidiary, SNC-Lavalin Inc. and its controlled affiliates, to be awarded World Bank Group-financed projects for 10 years.

However, the suspension could be lifted after eight years if the terms and conditions of the settlement agreement are complied with fully, SNC said in a news release Wednesday.

No financial penalty was imposed and other SNC-Lavalin Group subsidiaries will be able to bid on such contracts if they meet the terms of the agreement, SNC added.

Related
SNC-Lavalin paid out millions in retention bonuses in midst of ethics scandal
SNC-Lavalin chairman Morgan to retire as new directors proposed
The company said revenues generated from projects in the affected subsidiaries that are financed by the World Bank and other multilateral development banks have historically represented about one per cent of the its annual revenues.

The RCMP raided a SNC-Lavalin office in Oakville, Ont., in September 2011 at the request of the World Bank, which was investigating a bridge contract that was never awarded in the South Asian country.

The accusations of bribery prompted the World Bank to suspend a US$1.2-billion loan and temporarily barred the SNC-Lavalin subsidiary from bidding on other contracts in the country.

A Bangladesh newspaper has reported that the country’s anti-corruption commission was investigating allegations that SNC-Lavalin Inc. offered “huge bribes” to at least six influential Bangladeshi officials, including two former government ministers, to obtain the lucrative bridge contract.

SNC-Lavalin Group said Wednesday that the company launched an internal investigation when the matter was first brought to its attention and “has worked closely with the World Bank throughout the settlement process.”

“The company’s decision to settle signals our determination as we go forward to set standards for ethics in business conduct and for good governance that are beyond reproach,” CEO Robert Card said.

“The company has already taken, and will continue to take, measures to ensure rigorous compliance and control procedures are in place,” Card added.

SNC-Lavalin Group is involved in engineering and construction projects around the world.

Canadian Press

She learned at her mentor’s knee
Posted on January 10, 2013 by Ian
Gwyn Morgan chaired Christy Clark’s transition team. He helped set up this mess of a government.

Morgan is also chairman of the board of SNC Lavalin. In today’s Province a Financial Post story predicts SNC Lavalin will soon be facing criminal charges for corruption.

Knock me over with a feather.

SNC Lavalin recently won the provincial bid to build the Evergreen line. Knock me over again.

And Bob Mackin has an interesting story in Business in Vancouver about the selection process. According to Mackin a heavily blacked out FOI reveals that the project board considered the “corruption” problem back in June. But Mackin writes that “the minutes do not show what, if any, action the board took to protect taxpayer interests.”

Probably the same action the BC Liberals took with the Auditor: shoot the messenger.

Update: The Vancouver Sun must have read my mind and rushed out and obtained an editorial from Mr. Morgan this AM. And by “from Mr. Morgan” I mean written by one of his menials.

Anyhow, Mr. Morgan is on about his wish that our government run on private sector principles. You know; kickbacks, bribes and fraud like the company he runs, SNC Lavalin. But they do, don’t they?
http://therealstory.ca

More on Gwyn Morgan trying to cover his tracks.
http://lailayuile.com
Last edited by maple leaf on Apr 18th, 2013, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
logicalview
Guru

Re: Liberals /Gwen Morgan/SNC Lavalin corruption

Post by logicalview »

It's actually "Gwyn" Morgan, not "Gwen" Morgan. Goodness. It's spelled right in the article. :127:
Not afraid to say "It".
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

logicalview wrote:It's actually "Gwyn" Morgan, not "Gwen" Morgan. Goodness. It's spelled right in the article. :127:

Thanks for pointing that out I fixed it .I had a close friend spelled gwen,so oopps!
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

Its_Like_That wrote:Yes. Thank goodness for cut and paste to articulate ones opinions and grammer.

Better to offer something to support an opinion than to just spew off unsubstantiated rhetoric.

Grammar!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Liberals /Gwyn Morgan/SNC Lavalin corruption

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

One would need to be extremely naive, to think that corporations greasing wheels here and there, is unique to one political party.

Success is far more frequently based on who you know, as opposed to what you know.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:One would need to be extremely naive, to think that corporations greasing wheels here and there, is unique to one political party.

Success is far more frequently based on who you know, as opposed to what you know.

And so we should simply accept that doing business with a corrupt entity is quite alright?
Chill
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

LoneWolf_53 wrote: Success is far more frequently based on who you know, as opposed to what you know.

I wouldn't know of a single ganster who would disagree with this statement.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:One would need to be extremely naive, to think that corporations greasing wheels here and there, is unique to one political party.

And it is time to change that shady way of doing things.Which is another good reason for banning corporate and union donations or their financial support for political parties.The old you scratch my back and I'll scratch your back.Or I'll give you 100's of thousands of dollars to your party and if when elected you skew the bidding process and award me the contract.Much like the allegations yet to be investigated, surrounding the Prince George Wooden Centre.Not saying that is what happened with the evergreen line,but SNC Lavalin has been doing that in other jurisdictions,so who knows.Banning those donation may not cure the whole problem but is a good start for change in a better way of doing things.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I agree with you on that actually, but by the same token I don't want the same type of shenanigans going on with unions as they pretty much do now.

Dix doesn't want corporate donations to political parties, fine, I don't want union donations to the NDP regardless of how craftily they get laundered.

Put all politicians on the same playing field and let them raise funds from private people and bake sales. :)

As it stands right now what I smell is a conspiracy to prevent Liberals or Conservatives from getting corporate donations, but nothing stopping the NDP from continuing to benefit from their labour ties. Heck of a plan if voters are stupid enough to allow them to pull that off.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

flamingfingers wrote:
And so we should simply accept that doing business with a corrupt entity is quite alright?

I didn't say that at all. I simply pointed out that such practices have been par for the course with all political parties to some degree. It's fine to be disgusted with such acts, but don't pretend this is solely a Liberal trait and NDP are pure as the driven snow. Remember Bingogate? Pretty sure that wasn't Liberals as even they wouldn't stoop that low.

BTW the BCTF is a corrupt entity and I haven't seen you do much other than defend it, or is lying and living high on the hog at the expense of their members, and using children in manipulative attempts to blackmail government suddenly the definition of fine upstanding and wholesome? Where's your rage where those vermin are concerned?
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

So the take away here is...

Never mind the connection between the BC Liberals and the company that is under investigation in multiple jurisdictions.

Pay attention to "spelling and grammer" - I assume grammar more than spelling.

Oh, and, there will always be someone "pandaring" their way up the ladder.

Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Familiarize yourself with the rules Drip, this is a regional forum and your juvenile antics are taboo here!

Forget grammar, work on reading comprehension.

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2013”