A tale of two Facebook pages

Discuss the upcoming provincial election. Keep it civil in here, people. It's not the Political Arena.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

A tale of two Facebook pages

Post by Rwede »

I was interested in the contrasting styles of Facebook pages of Norm Letnick and Mike Nuyens.

Norm's page has lots of policy explained, lots of information on where Norm stands on local issues, and links to various articles where voters can find even more information.

Mike's has some pictures of Mike in a suit sitting on a tractor, and Mike posing in front of the Dix Bus. There's next to nothing about policy or position.

While Norm is being fully open and transparent in what he thinks and eager to share his party's policy statements, his opponent is completely failing in putting forth policy and opinion on issues important to voters.

Has Dix muzzled his candidates in this election, leaving all speaking points to himself and Horgan?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: A tale of two Facebook pages

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Rwede wrote:I was interested in the contrasting styles of Facebook pages of Norm Letnick and Mike Nuyens.

Norm's page has lots of policy explained, lots of information on where Norm stands on local issues, and links to various articles where voters can find even more information.

Mike's has some pictures of Mike in a suit sitting on a tractor, and Mike posing in front of the Dix Bus. There's next to nothing about policy or position.

While Norm is being fully open and transparent in what he thinks and eager to share his party's policy statements, his opponent is completely failing in putting forth policy and opinion on issues important to voters.

Has Dix muzzled his candidates in this election, leaving all speaking points to himself and Horgan?

In order to post things pertaining to policy, they would first need to have policies, other than padding labour wallets which everyone knows anyway, so there's really no need to mention that policy.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

What is an NDP candidate supposed to put on his Facebook page, or any page? There's no platform, there's nothing to talk about. I am wondering what the NDP candidates say when out door-knocking, if indeed they are bothering to do that given this election apparently doesn't even need to happen as its a forgone conclusion. How would a conversation go?

NDP: Hi, I'm _____ and I'm running for the NDP.

Resident: Oh ok hi _____. So what can you tell me about the NDP platform?

NDP: Adrian Dix is going to make changes for the better!

Resident: Adrian Dix...why does that name sound familar...oh right...wasn't that the guy that resigned in disgrace?

NDP: Uh...well...he apologized for that...

Resident: And the guy that was caught using union money to fight a recall campaign back in the 1990's...

NDP: Uh..you know about that?

Resident: I'm not supposed to know about that?

NDP: Uh...well...we assumed that we had been able to smother that....

Resident: Ok so you never answered my first question - what's your platform?

NDP: Uh...Change for the Better!!

Resident: What the hell does that even mean?

NDP: That we're not the Liberals!!

Resident: Yeah I know. You're with the NDP. I remember when they were in power in the 1990's. You guys were terrible. Taxes were too high and you ran a bunch of deficits. Unemployment was rampant and BC lagged every other province in every measurable stat except number of welfare recipients. You guys suck!

NDP: But this time it's going to be different. We're costing all of our spending to tax increases so our increased spending is covered by increased taxes.

Resident: How is that different from your last regime of tax and spend? Why don't you guys learn that people want to see the fiscal house in order before you spend more money. STOP SPENDING MONEY!!

NDP: Uh...we can't. It's in our DNA. We have to spend and spend and spend. That's the NDP way.

Resident: Well, so that's your platform then I guess?

NDP: Yeah.....I guess.
Not afraid to say "It".
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

I may leave out Dix's past to be polite but I certainly do hope Mike decides to knock on my door just so I can ask some of these same questions.

Mainly "Show me your detailed platform and describe it's intricacies and answer my questions and I'll be happy to listen"

Otherwise get off my property and sell snake oil to someone who's foolish.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

The NDP candidate websites and social media that I've seen are really, really thin. Dix must told them to follow his example: say nothing! No plan, no platform, just rely on a negative opinion of your opponents to confuse voters into supporting you.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Fisher-Dude wrote:The NDP candidate websites and social media that I've seen are really, really thin. Dix must told them to follow his example: say nothing! No plan, no platform, just rely on a negative opinion of your opponents to confuse voters into supporting you.

That is simply at this stage the entire platform the NDP are presenting. If you put out what you plan to do with time for people to actually look at it and analyse the faults in it they may lose support when right now they have enough of a cushion to rely on a free pass from hatred to carry the day.

I'm not a fan of Clark but that is a really sad way to lead and presents no potential for me to have any faith in the party.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Have you two/three been sleeping?

The NDP has almost daily policy announcements,
well presented in the media.

Why not let the media do the work for you?
Very limited exposure on Facebook.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

George+ wrote:
Why not let the media do the work for you?
Very limited exposure on Facebook.

Let the media do the work for us? What the hell are you talking about? Are you finally admitting the massive media bias by people like Keith Baldrey? Why wouldn't the NDP just put their platform up on their website, like Carole James did in 2009? Is this why Dix and his band of radical slime knifed Carole in the back? So that they could take over and make sure that no one ever released any platform like Carole did? I am still waiting to see if Greased Weasel Dix and his gang of thugs are planning on hiring hundreds of bureaucrats to get the BC "Human Rights" commission re-opened, spending millions of taxpayer dollars on foolish social engineering projects. Millions of dollars that BC doesn't have.
Not afraid to say "It".

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2013”