News release - Adrian Dix must fire NDP candidate

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: News release - Adrian Dix must fire NDP candidate

Post by Glacier »

khatibo wrote:If that's true it means i lost the dream :(

She is free to express her opinions, and she is also free to run for political office still. The only thing she cannot do is say things that will get her kicked out of the NDP. It's a lot like Castanet forums. We are free to say anything we want, but if we post something on the forums such as, "Captain Awesome should go break a leg and suck huevos," then the mods are free to remove the comment without violating my freedom of speech.

You are free to drop F-bombs in this country, but don't expect to be allowed to walk into a daycare a do it.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

goalie wrote:i liked her comment about French being used in Olympics....got nothing to do with Quebec. It's used at every Olympics

So .. you are saying her comments were wrong ?? I'm confused ..
You do realize she thought the french at the Olympics was because of Québec which of course it wasn't ..

Why is French one of the official languages of the Olympics?
The ancient Olympic Games ended around 393 AD. After several attempts in Europe to bring the games back to a modern form they were eventually revived after an initiative driven by Frenchman Pierre de Coubertin (also known as Pierre de Frédy, baron de Coubertin). He succeded in gathering international support during a meeting in Paris in 1894, and is the founder of the IOC (International Olympics Comittee). The first Modern Games were held in 1896. The essential influence of Coubertin explains why French is along with English, an official language in the games. Every announcement is made during the games is made en French, then English then the language of the hosting country.
Last edited by SmokeOnTheWater on Apr 16th, 2013, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Glacier wrote:You are free to drop F-bombs in this country, but don't expect to be allowed to walk into a daycare a do it.

Haven't been around may daycare workers lately, have you. :dyinglaughing:
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

jayb1rd wrote:
I will admit that I do not follow much of the Indian rights or anything

Maybe I just don't understand the plight of the natives, but I do not understand giving free stuff away to a certain group for no real reason, this is the 21st century, will we forever be in debt for the sins of our forefathers, it seems absolutely ridiculous.

I don't know much about the Natives either but found this an interesting read ..

http://www.mediacoop.ca/blog/dru/15493
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Trigger69
Fledgling

Post by Trigger69 »

I find it frustrating that one can be x'd out of a political arena when that person only speaks their mind. I mean isnt that what the elections etc are all about? People come forward with ideas and thoughts to make the society a better place....if people like them they vote for them, if not they dont. I am not saying I support her comments but I will say I was not offended by them what so ever. I think in this day and age when someone is running for any office fresh ideas and new ways of business SHOULD be a welcomed event. Change is a good thing people and to slam someone for attempting to promote their ideas is not what the Charter was implimented for. I say shame on all those that took it as offensive...she was merely expressing how she feels....period. If that opinion is controversal...so be it...remember speaking about gay relationships 20 years ago was also taboo and look how far we have come. Look how the states moved passed slavery...a great man went against the status quo and stood for what he believed in. Why cant we allow the same?
flavorflav

Post by flavorflav »

I think if the liberal or conservative ticket is weak in her riding ,she may want to think of crossing over.Good on her for saying what needs to be said. There's a lot of native bands that need look no further than their own leaders.There are a lot of native bands that are fair and equitable with their own people and cooperative with their non native neighbors.As for Quebec,haven't we catered to that province enough??I say split Quebec,if you want to be part of Canada,move to the south side of the St.Lawrence river,because Canada gets to keep that side.Let Quebec become a sovereign nation on the north side of the St Lawrence and let's see how that new country deals with the Cree Indian Nation of Northern Quebec.
adda87

Post by adda87 »

What a breath of fresh air, finally someone says what everyone else is thinking!!!!!!! We've stood by while our spineless government has handed out our hard earned money for FAR to long!!!! There isn't a single tax paying resident in this country who doesn't feel this way, and this beautiful voice has finally spoken the truth! and she's a politician!!! Oh wait, she was! Don't tell the truth, it'll get you FIRED!!!!!!! I would stand in line for days to vote for this woman!! Of course Adrian Dix fired her, he's a lying, cheating, manipulating *bleep* of a human being!!!!!!!!! There's no place in Canadian government for someone who speaks the truth!!! lie, cheat and steal,or we'll find someone who will!!!!!! I would like to run in her place with the same views! But not for the NDP!
Last edited by adda87 on Apr 16th, 2013, 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
khatibo

Post by khatibo »

Trigger69 wrote:I find it frustrating that one can be x'd out of a political arena when that person only speaks their mind. I mean isnt that what the elections etc are all about? People come forward with ideas and thoughts to make the society a better place....if people like them they vote for them, if not they dont. I am not saying I support her comments but I will say I was not offended by them what so ever. I think in this day and age when someone is running for any office fresh ideas and new ways of business SHOULD be a welcomed event. Change is a good thing people and to slam someone for attempting to promote their ideas is not what the Charter was implimented for. I say shame on all those that took it as offensive...she was merely expressing how she feels....period. If that opinion is controversal...so be it...remember speaking about gay relationships 20 years ago was also taboo and look how far we have come. Look how the states moved passed slavery...a great man went against the status quo and stood for what he believed in. Why cant we allow the same?

i wish i can write English like you, but you just said what i wanted to say but i couldn't.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I reserve the right not to comment for fear of incrimination.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Reminder to any of you considering politics. Someone might find something you said on the board 5 years ago and completely discredit you
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Thank God I am not thinking of going into politics .Dayleen spoke my mind. Best get rid of her ,she speaks the truth.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

motorhomebabe wrote:Thank God I am not thinking of going into politics .Dayleen spoke my mind. Best get rid of her ,she speaks the truth.

NO no, she spoke an opinion. There is a difference, and though her opinion as it was expressed might not bother a lot of western Canadian people it is a definitive problem for any political party affiliations.

For that reason the provincial NDP will cut her loose just as fast as they did.

This has much to do with not what her concepts or beliefs are but how she articulated them in a political way. She should have edited her online life before this could occur even if people don't overall disagree it can reflect bad on the party and the party wants to win so she has to fall.

Basically politics suck, and plain speak has to be put through a muffler of PC correctness
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Veovis wrote:She should have edited her online life before this could occur even if people don't overall disagree it can reflect bad on the party and the party wants to win so she has to fall.

She could not do that because the Liberal backed forum in which she made those comments had locked the thread to prevent further editing.

P.S. I'm only joking about any implied motives for locking the thread. There is nothing sinister about locking threads that get carried away.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
CoconutBreath
Fledgling

Post by CoconutBreath »

Carmencat wrote:So the NDP candidate resigns over something she posted 4 years ago that is supposedly "racist". But the federal Liberals just elected a leader who has said previously that Quebecers are better than the rest of Canada. Apparently that isn't racist. I am so confused........

Don't you know?...(from that stupid novel I was forced to read in high school, but read the Coles Quick Notes instead, when the pigs amended their rules by adding the last part)...:

All pigs are equal, but some pigs are more equal than others.

(I guess you can be a Prime Minister of Canada - Pierre Elliot Trudeau - & in full view of the media (with no cell/camera phones back then) & BLATANTLY "flip the bird" to protesting Westerners & still not get thrown out of office.....my, times have changed for "political correctness". Not sure if any of you remember THAT,..I sure do. Political "correctness"... Gimme a break.)
Disneyland

Post by Disneyland »

I wonder with all her political savvy, if she ever considered trying to educate herself about native people? Hmmm I wonder where a highly successful First Nation could be that could educate her? Well I'll be damned, they have 3 Reserves in her what was her potential riding, Westbank First Nation! She has done a bang up job in identifying potential voters.

Also, a lot of the posters here might be surprised if they actually made the effort to educate themselves about First Nations and the Canadian Constitution, instead of spouting rhetoric. Must be so hard to talk to your neighbours and community members. WFN is just across the Bridge, and is part of this community.

Return to “Kelowna/Mission”