Help with my hair!

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
peteykat
Fledgling

Help with my hair!

Post by peteykat »

Alright, lets start off with silly me.

I decided I was going to attempt to make my light brown hair medium. Bought a dye kit and away I went with the instructions. My hair is now the shade of black with some clumps of the old brown showing through.

Help! Anyone know a good place, person to see to fix this!????

:smt075 :smt075 :smt075
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Post by Baba O'Riley »

Oh! :200: Sheesh - we've all done it!! :lol:

Did you have any colour in it before? If so, was it permanent or semi-perm?

And the colour you have just put in - was that permanent?

Sounds like you may have possibly left the colour in for too long...? :132:

Is your hair in good condition (not seriously dry, especially at the ends)? If it's in fairly good condition, you should be able to just dye straight over the top of it...

A professional colourist will definitely fix it for you, but that will obviously be pretty expensive!
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
50++
Übergod

Re: Help with my hair!

Post by 50++ »

peteykat wrote:Alright, lets start off with silly me.

I decided I was going to attempt to make my light brown hair medium. Bought a dye kit and away I went with the instructions. My hair is now the shade of black with some clumps of the old brown showing through.

shampoo with a little baking soda...or Sunlight Dish Soap...And also use a very good conditioner...should get it to lighten up and give it more even colour..
A pfofesional hairdresser would not agree..but it is cheap and it helps..alot..do it once a week for a while..
Last edited by 50++ on Jan 4th, 2008, 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peteykat
Fledgling

Post by peteykat »

Unfortunately, it's permanent.

Most likely I left it in for too long..trying to cover those greys... :145:

Thinking I'm gonna have to make some calls tomorrow!

Blah..for the name of beauty!
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Post by Baba O'Riley »

If I'd just done that to my hair (I've been colouring for about 20 years but still have quite strong hair! :lol: ), I would put in a deep conditioning treatment for an hour or two tomorrow morning, rinse it out thoroughly, then I'd put a light brown permanent dye straight over the whole lot again... for the recommended time! :wink:

That's my advice anyways! :138:

ETA: That's why I asked "Is your hair in good condition (not seriously dry, especially at the ends)?"

If it's in fairly good condition, you should be able to just dye straight over the top of it. Home kits are not that potent that they will really harm your hair.
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Help with my hair!

Post by Piecemaker »

50++ wrote:
peteykat wrote:Alright, lets start off with silly me.

shampoo with a little baking soda...or Sunlight Dish Soap...And also use a very good conditioner...should get it to lighten up and give it more even colour..
A pfofesional hairdresser would not agree..but it is cheap and it helps..alot..do it once a week for a while..

I've heard the same thing as a "remedy". When I was a teen I went through a "use dishsoap as shampoo" phase and I happened to use Sunlight. I have very dark brown hair and it lightened it because of the lemon in it. (I didn't actually want it lightened at the time, of course...!)
In the 80's when I went through my "gotta have a perm" phase, I found that also lightened my hair.
Swimming in a chlorinated pool lightens hair as does being out in the sun.
A good conditioner is very important.
What I do now (And let's just keep this between us ladies...!), is color my hair a lighter shade than it's natural color. This means the grey hair and my natural color blend, rather than all my hair being one color and ending up making me look like a "helmet head". Most people's hair has many shades of a color in it naturally...or at least brown hair does.
Probably a most common error is colouring the hair too dark and if your hair happens to be dry, which it often is this time of year, the dye really grabs on--which peteykat may have happened to you.
I know this isn't the way you wanted to start your New Year, but this too shall pass... :smt056

All the best in fixing your tresses. Please let us know how things turn out. Thanks.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

peteykat, there should be a toll free number on the package somewhere. they would be able to tell you what you need to do, or you might even find the info on their website.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

ferri wrote:peteykat, there should be a toll free number on the package somewhere. they would be able to tell you what you need to do, or you might even find the info on their website.

Ahhh, the voice of experience talking here!?

Naaah, just the ever-helpful ferri. :140:

Good suggestion (and I'd have thought of that if I'd have thought of it).
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:lol: no luckily i have never had a bad thing like this happen to me. but i was just thinking...what would i do...? :D
― Albert Einstein
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

ferri wrote::lol: no luckily i have never had a bad thing like this happen to me. but i was just thinking...what would i do...? :D

Before or after you caused bodily harm to BriTer for his role in the fiasco?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i read the instructions then boss him around. what could go wrong? :125:

:lol:
― Albert Einstein
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

ferri wrote:i read the instructions then boss him around. what could go wrong? :125:

:lol:

Ummm, a word to the wise...men don't always follow instructions...even with the nose ring and all...
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

but you see this works out great because i am standing right there watching him every second. :lol: actually i do the base color and BriTer does my streaks for me. and we do it in the bathroom so i can watch in the mirror. :125:
― Albert Einstein
peteykat
Fledgling

Post by peteykat »

Thanks all.

My hair, to me seems dry. I have pretty curly hair and I have a hard time telling if it's dry or just frizz. It is do time for a trim though.

Gonna run to a place later and see if I should come in and when, so my hair doesn't fall out!
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

ferri wrote:peteykat, there should be a toll free number on the package somewhere. they would be able to tell you what you need to do, or you might even find the info on their website.

That would be my suggestion as well.
Trying to redye might cause a worse disaster.
Most permanent/semi permanent dyes don't really "set" for about 72 hours. The hair follicles are still somewhat open and you should be able to wash out some of the colour, even if it is permanent.

I agree with the dishsoap suggestion, dandruff shampoo works as well.
These will not remove the colour completely, but will definitely bring it down a few shades.

Then you could consider recolouring, but if you are not experienced, you still may not be happy. If the original colour was patchy and uneven, putting colour over it may result in the same. The areas where it did take colour could get more intense.

I would suggest the washing treatment first off. If the colour looks ok, you could ask a friend to help you touch up the uneven areas.

When in doubt, the best solution is to seek professional help. Take along the package so the colourist knows exactly what you used. That way, they can be sure of what will be compatible.

Don't feel too bad, curly hair is difficult. They don't mention that on the home-dye kits. Ever notice they never show curly hair on the box?
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

Return to “Health”