Good mascara & lipstick ? Any suggestions ?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
sas11109
Fledgling

Good mascara & lipstick ? Any suggestions ?

Post by sas11109 »

For those who use mascara ...what mascara do you find is the best for not clumping? I've tried alot of them and while I like some of them for awhile I seem to not have found THE perfect one that will give me nice full lashes without looking like I have black spider legs attached to my eyes. I've even bought books on makeup tips (Paula Begoun's "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me") - but the book is a few years old now & there are so many new products on the market since the book was written. Here are some I've tried & thought were OK but I'm still searching for THAT PERFECT one (must be OK for contact lenses too): L'Oreal Lash Out, Maybeline something or other with the lime green packaging with the curved plastic brush, Lancome, Avon Wash-Off Waterproof. The one I'm currently using is Cover Girls' Lash Exact which is pretty good. But I'm still thinking there's something better out there.

Also for lipstick....I think I could open my own cosmetics counter with the number of half-used tubes of lipstick I have. I've been using Lise Watier for over a year and although the colour is perfect for me I find the formula a bit dry (they have 2 formulas - the glossy one is too glossy for me but the other one is almost too dry). So I'm kinda mixing a few together. I don't like that slippery, lipgloss feel either - I just want a good lipstick that won't slide off your face but doesn't make your lips feel like cardboard.

And although I know what works for one person may not be right for another I would sure appreciate feedback ! Thank you!
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

I also vote for Covergirl Lash Exact.

Lipstick? I have had similar experiences. I have heard that MAC is good, but I have never tried it.

For nailpolish, I like Avon Nailwear. It goes on smoothly and lasts at least a week.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

I use Avons 'astonishing lengths' mascara. It really does lengthen lashes and wears for a long time without any smudges or flakes, plus it's always on sale for $2.95.

I'm not a huge lipstick fan, I prefer lip gloss. Avon's liquid lip glazewear comes in a ton of shades, has a sponge tip applicator and again, is always on sale for $2.99.

If you're into eyeliner, well again..lol...Avons glimmersticks. It's a creamy glide on formula that will not smudge, and it's absolutly fabulous.

I do sell Avon, though I got into strictly to get the discount. I found myself buying so much of their products that I figured I may as well try to get a deal. What initially led me to Avon was the fact that they are an ethical company and do not test any of their products on animals, which is very important to me.

You cant beat their prices and the quality really is top notch. If you are not satisfied with any product, you can return it for a full refund.

~D

EDIT~ Oops, I just read where you said you dont like lipgloss. Avon does have a nice moisture infused lipstick, and a new product called Ultra Colour Rich Mousse Lipstick that gives lips 400% moisture boost. I havent used this myself yet, but it might be worth a try. If you dont like it, you can simply return it.

~D
amomof2dogs
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by amomof2dogs »

MAC cosmetics are very good. I use one of their mascaras and love it. My daughter made me buy it but I really love it. It washes off with soap and water but doesn't smudge flake or smear.
sas11109
Fledgling

Avon

Post by sas11109 »

I agree - Avon has some wonderful products & I've been an Avon customer for years. One of my favorites - their Mositure Effective Eye Makeup Remover ...dirt cheap and works like a charm plus doesn't make my eyes sting. I've used their Wash-Off Waterproof mascara for years but lately have found it's just not covering as well. Not sure if they changed something in the formula or what. On a sidenote ...Avon isn't just for old ladies like me LOL !..they have some of the best jewellery. I have gotten so many compliments on earrings, necklaces, etc. I love Avon !
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

GG is right about the Mascara. It is now my 1st choice. I like the Avon mascara... But I just bought a new one and it goes on so clumpy.
I use a mascara called "kiss me" on my bottom lashes, it tubes your lashes and DOES NOTsmudge. It is rather pricey, but works for me.

MAC lipsticks are great. I like a matte finish with some gloss.

I started using a new gloss from "Bare Essentials" call "Buxom Lips" it makes em tingle. And it is not sticky.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
tawnylee
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by tawnylee »

I'm another vote for the Covergirl mascara!!
My fail safe is the classic maybelline pink and green in blackest black.
“When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.”
~Harriet Beecher Stowe
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

tawnylee wrote:I'm another vote for the Covergirl mascara!!
My fail safe is the classic maybelline pink and green in blackest black.

Tawnylee, My Mom loves that Maybelline stuff, and I see Make Up artists use it too (Carmondie from What Not To Wear) I like full lashes, and it never seem to do that for me.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
tawnylee
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by tawnylee »

My best tip for getting full lashes is to curl them a bit first, apply a coat, wait about 30 seconds so the first coat is semi dry, then apply the second. That way it dosen't give you tarantula eyes, but you still get a nice full look!
“When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.”
~Harriet Beecher Stowe
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

I would die without my eyelash curler. :lol:

Before I switched over to Avon's astonishing lengths mascara, I was loyal to Loreal's Voluminous mascara. It really plumped up my lashes. One thing I will mention about Avons mascara is that I've only found one type that I love. The other ones have too light a formula. The astonishing lengths is very much like loreal's voluminous but at $2.95, it's a steal.

Oh, another tip to curl your lashes. Heat the curler with a hair dryer then curl away. It does work, just becareful not to burn yourself, it hurts!

~D
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

After reading your posts and after watching my wife all these years I think that being a female is a lot of work. From my standpoint it's well worth your effort but I'm glad I'm male.
tawnylee
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by tawnylee »

I'm just glad our efforts don't go unnoticed, lol
~Harriet Beecher Stowe
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Urbane wrote:After reading your posts and after watching my wife all these years I think that being a female is a lot of work. From my standpoint it's well worth your effort but I'm glad I'm male.

i am so glad i am a natural beauty.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! i almost forgot...you've met me!!! so much for that...

uh hum as far as mascara and lipstick go...i only use Maybelline Great Lash, it's the only thing that doesn't irritate my eyes and it comes off pretty easily, no TNT required to remove. i hate lipstick, can't stand the feel, smell or taste, so i am no help there. :lol:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Snowbaby
Lord of the Board

Post by Snowbaby »

I've tried Avon's SuperFull and it was ok, not clumpy, and not heavy. Right now I'm using Avon's Longest Lashes Ever and I like it. It's got the white fiber base and then the mascara over top. Goes on easy, no clumping for me and lasts and doesn't smudge for me when I'm out in the snow. I also know a few who wear the Astonishing Lengths Mascara from them and like it.

As for lipsticks, I don't wear it, but have know quite a few who wear either the Ultra Colour Rich Mousse from Avon, or the Lip Miracle LipColour from Avon.

And sas is right, Avon's Moisture Effective Remover is great. My eyes usually react to removers and I can't use them, but I can this one.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Snow, is the remover a liquid or a cream? I love the Clinque "Take The Day Off" but it is pricey.

Return to “Health”