What to do with Mental illness in Kelowna

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
peacekeeper
Board Meister

What to do with Mental illness in Kelowna

Post by peacekeeper »

I have a sister who has Schizophrenia, and even with all the calls to the cops..complaints from her neighbors, her young daughter getting apprehended permanently, she is not hospitalized (she has a record a mile long with the ministry and cops)....
How can you get a family member hospitalized for long enough to actually help her? She wont even admit she has a problem..she thinks she is normal.
She seems to fool her DRs too.... she is a serious walking time bomb... she is about to get kicked out of her low income housing since her daughter was taken away, so what can we do with her?? I dont want her at my house, she is too violent , and my mom doesnt want her at her house either, as my sister has threatened to kill her while she sleeps many times.... she thinks the whole world is out to kill her and is against her.... she is very moody and violent.
so really what can I do with her???
Cant let her go on the streets either.... I am totally at a loss as too who to call or what to do?
Pls any info would be great!! :smt073
tawnylee
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by tawnylee »

Have you read the BC Mental Health Act? I'd start there, then figure out what route you can take.
I have had to get somebody admitted (with the help of the police), and thankfully they ended up staying long enough to get on their medication and until it was working so they could make clear, consious decisions.

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/library/publications/year/2005/MentalHealthGuide.pdf
“When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.”
~Harriet Beecher Stowe
crash 99
Walks on Forum Water

Re: What to do with Mental illness in Kelowna

Post by crash 99 »

peacekeeper wrote:I have a sister who has Schizophrenia, and even with all the calls to the cops..complaints from her neighbors, her young daughter getting apprehended permanently, she is not hospitalized (she has a record a mile long with the ministry and cops)....
How can you get a family member hospitalized for long enough to actually help her? She wont even admit she has a problem..she thinks she is normal.
She seems to fool her DRs too.... she is a serious walking time bomb... she is about to get kicked out of her low income housing since her daughter was taken away, so what can we do with her?? I dont want her at my house, she is too violent , and my mom doesnt want her at her house either, as my sister has threatened to kill her while she sleeps many times.... she thinks the whole world is out to kill her and is against her.... she is very moody and violent.
so really what can I do with her???
Cant let her go on the streets either.... I am totally at a loss as too who to call or what to do?
Pls any info would be great!! :smt073

I would be getting in touch with the Ministry (yesterday) and loudly voicing my concerns about the fact that she is definitely "posing a threat to society" and herself. They CAN arrest her under the Mental Health Act, and have her taken to McNair ward @ KGH for assessment. From there, hopefully they will be able to determine what Meds she actually needs.
peacekeeper
Board Meister

Post by peacekeeper »

She has been taken to the ward here in Kelowna but is always let out after a day or so... she can somehow just sign herself out if she wants.... not sure how that works..I have to find away to keep her in there until the meds will actually kick in and help her....she just seems to slip through the system all the time. So I am at a lost as to what to do....my whole family is.
Thanks for the replies so far.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Would video taping her help out?? To prove to the police that she is whacky?
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

Have you visited the BCSS here in Kelowna, they were very helpful in my families dealing with my brothers schizophrenia. I can say that it is not an easy road getting help, but they are a great resource, and help in getting the help you need, as well as having the contacts in the health care system to get the help you are speaking of.

http://www.bcss.org/category/branches/kelowna/

Best of luck to you, and your family in your efforts, keep strong, and never give up hope, there is help out there.
jan1951
Fledgling

Post by jan1951 »

I wish you so much luck with your sister PK, and I think Alan is most likely the best person so far for you to talk to. He has dealt with this many many years. My heart goes out to your struggles!!!
jan1951
Fledgling

Post by jan1951 »

My fight is currently in the lower mainland, but anyone I am in touch with down there regarding mental illnesses, I will definitely ask what resources there are available in Kelowna as well.
moi
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by moi »

Good topic....we are dealing with a wacko right now that is fooling everyone even the cops...we want to see her admitted to a hospital FOR LIFE. Her mother just got out few years ago...guess it runs in the family. They both live here... :147: One of them is a teacher in the school....scary isn't it? I'm considering homeschooling.
peacekeeper
Board Meister

Post by peacekeeper »

Rds wrote:Good topic....we are dealing with a wacko right now that is fooling everyone even the cops...we want to see her admitted to a hospital FOR LIFE. Her mother just got out few years ago...guess it runs in the family. They both live here... :147: One of them is a teacher in the school....scary isn't it? I'm considering homeschooling.

I know...its a very hard thing to watch... she seems fine one moment and the next she is telling me how the radio is talking to her, and that the radio host is sending her messages through the songs he chooses.... she also thinks her neighbors are sneaking into her house and changing her washer/dryer settings...????? *bleep*???
then she will absolutely go violent and start yelling how she has had such a hard life and was abused and all this stuff..which isnt true....she thinks she is getting her daughter back too but she isnt. I even offered to take the daughter in, but she has to go to her dad first I was told.
She cant tell what is real and what is not...... its really a scary thing....
she is already on a bunch of pills for her epilepsy...But I will look into those sites...thanks guys...
peacekeeper
Board Meister

Post by peacekeeper »

BoB76 wrote:Would video taping her help out?? To prove to the police that she is whacky?

they have so many reports on her from neighbors, and her daughter, us,the schools, etc... even quite a few cops and the ministry who have talked to her.... they know she is off...but its getting something done about it...thats the hard part.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

A good example of what these poor folks are facing would be if you were sitting on a chair with 12 different people reading 12 different things behind you, and attempting to filter all of that information trough your brain. Just trying to focus on one voice is an impossible task. Unfortunately Schizophrenia (There are many forms of it mind you) doesn't allow the brain to filter all the noises etc. that they hear, and some have hyper sensitive hearing as well. Many Schizophrenics are extremely great at learning, or arts, like music etc. well above those of us with normal brain patterns, this could be due to their uncanny ability to focus on a single task much better than we ever will. It's a rough road for these poor folks, and their families. The BC Schizophrenia society is about the best resource you could find on getting the help you need. I suggest an appointment with one of the members, to get an idea of the services available, as well as the courses available for you to learn what they go through. They are a non-profit society, and are there for all family members, at no cost... this is a Government funded effort.

Best of luck in your endeavors.
crash 99
Walks on Forum Water

Post by crash 99 »

peacekeeper wrote:
BoB76 wrote:Would video taping her help out?? To prove to the police that she is whacky?

they have so many reports on her from neighbors, and her daughter, us,the schools, etc... even quite a few cops and the ministry who have talked to her.... they know she is off...but its getting something done about it...thats the hard part.

Again. You need to focus on the violence. As we were told for many many many years, "it isn't a crime to be crazy." They first have to show signs that they are a danger to themselves, or Society. As much as I hate the thought of video taping someone without their knowledge, I think that that may be the only option you have, if she has becoma adept at showing "the good side," to the authorities, etc.

I truly feel for you. I have had many many years of experience with these issues due to 2 family members that suffer/ed from mental illness.

Here's a tiny look at one of them:
http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?t=11959

Please look at the links provided, start making calls, and voice your concerns. LOUDLY. She will keep sliding under the wire if you don't....and unfortunately, it appears that someone most likely will be hurt, if actions aren't taken. :(

I wish you the best of luck, and know that there are many of us on here, that are feeling your pain and frustration. :124:
moi
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by moi »

peacekeeper wrote:
Rds wrote:Good topic....we are dealing with a wacko right now that is fooling everyone even the cops...we want to see her admitted to a hospital FOR LIFE. Her mother just got out few years ago...guess it runs in the family. They both live here... :147: One of them is a teacher in the school....scary isn't it? I'm considering homeschooling.

I know...its a very hard thing to watch... she seems fine one moment and the next she is telling me how the radio is talking to her, and that the radio host is sending her messages through the songs he chooses.... she also thinks her neighbors are sneaking into her house and changing her washer/dryer settings...????? what the heck???
then she will absolutely go violent and start yelling how she has had such a hard life and was abused and all this stuff..which isnt true....she thinks she is getting her daughter back too but she isnt. I even offered to take the daughter in, but she has to go to her dad first I was told.
She cant tell what is real and what is not...... its really a scary thing....
she is already on a bunch of pills for her epilepsy...But I will look into those sites...thanks guys...

Ummm....this wacko told us that our newborn was recarinated from her deceased cat since it died on the same day our son was born. She even came to the decision that my dh belongs to her...duh? :smt075

coming under the wire....very true...very true.....
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Re: What to do with Mental illness in Kelowna

Post by AlanH »

Once again RDS, go here

http://www.bcss.org/category/branches/kelowna/

They will be able to get you the help you need.

Return to “Health”