What to do with Mental illness in Kelowna

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
moi
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: What to do with Mental illness in Kelowna

Post by moi »

Thanks..

What does warrant a mental help is needed?

Obsession over a person?
Stalking?
Going to the person's work? (circling with car at workplace for 1-2 hours)
Saying their cat's soul transferred to your son?
Slanderous talk/lies but really believing in it?
Stoned 24/7?

What else??
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

Rds wrote:Thanks..

What does warrant a mental help is needed?

Obsession over a person?
Stalking?
Going to the person's work? (circling with car at workplace for 1-2 hours)
Saying their cat's soul transferred to your son?
Slanderous talk/lies but really believing in it?
Stoned 24/7?

What else??

Any chance of risk, or harm, either to one's self, or others is reason enough to warrant a mental health assessment.
faith177

Post by faith177 »

You could try and understand that a person with any type of dementia is not doing these things on purpose. How do you think it is for her? Have a little bit of compassion, I work with dementia and believe me nobody chooses it.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

faith177 wrote:You could try and understand that a person with any type of dementia is not doing these things on purpose. How do you think it is for her? Have a little bit of compassion, I work with dementia and believe me nobody chooses it.

Who are you referring to?
crash 99
Walks on Forum Water

Post by crash 99 »

I too am curious, as I have just gone back and re-read the posts, and there is not a single post refering to "dementia."
That is a whole different ball-game. :(
faith177

Post by faith177 »

why do you say Schizophrenia is so different than dementia. They are both diseases of the brain are they not, and neither chooses the behavior.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Schizophrenia was the mental illness being discussed.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
crash 99
Walks on Forum Water

Post by crash 99 »

faith177 wrote:why do you say Schizophrenia is so different than dementia. They are both diseases of the brain are they not, and neither chooses the behavior.

I'm sorry faith177.
Yes! They are both "mental illnesses."
To ME there is a very large difference, in so far as Schizophrenia often can be treated and maintained by drug therapy, etc,
Dementia...rarely. :(

No...NONE "choose" to have these illnesses....but all mental illnesses have different reactions/ treatment possibilties.

I wasn't meaning to sound snotty..just pointing out that this particular thread was focussed on Schitzophenia.

Cheers. :sunshine:
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

crash 99 wrote:
faith177 wrote:why do you say Schizophrenia is so different than dementia. They are both diseases of the brain are they not, and neither chooses the behavior.

I'm sorry faith177.
Yes! They are both "mental illnesses."
To ME there is a very large difference, in so far as Schizophrenia often can be treated and maintained by drug therapy, etc,
Dementia...rarely. :(

No...NONE "choose" to have these illnesses....but all mental illnesses have different reactions/ treatment possibilties.

I wasn't meaning to sound snotty..just pointing out that this particular thread was focussed on Schitzophenia.

Cheers. :sunshine:

My Brother has Schizophrenia, I would beg to differ on your opinion that it can often be treated, and maintained. After having to try about 20 or so different medications over a ten year span, and meeting hundreds of families with the same issues, I have come to the opinion that no Mental Illness is "Often treated, and maintained" Not easily.
crash 99
Walks on Forum Water

Post by crash 99 »

AlanH wrote:
My Brother has Schizophrenia, I would beg to differ on your opinion that it can often be treated, and maintained. After having to try about 20 or so different medications over a ten year span, and meeting hundreds of families with the same issues, I have come to the opinion that no Mental Illness is "Often treated, and maintained" Not easily.

AlanH,
I am aware that your family suffers with this as well.

Why I made the statement that I did, is because "in my experience only" the people that I have in my family, and others that I have met with Schizophenia HAVE found success with drug therapy...but they will never stay on it. Ever time that (for many many reasons) they have decided to go off of the meds, it's back to square one to re-determine what will work. For some reason (in my experience) they have never been able to go back to the same drug/ dosage, etc., that had worked previously.(?) So the Drs have to start all over again...whiich takes forever to find the right combination.

There is nothing EASY about any mental illness..and my humblest of appologies for making it sound as though that is what I believe. :(
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

crash 99 wrote:
AlanH wrote:

AlanH,
I am aware that your family suffers with this as well.

Why I made the statement that I did, is because "in my experience only" the people that I have in my family, and others that I have met with Schizophenia HAVE found success with drug therapy...but they will never stay on it. Ever time that (for many many reasons) they have decided to go off of the meds, it's back to square one to re-determine what will work. For some reason (in my experience) they have never been able to go back to the same drug/ dosage, etc., that had worked previously.(?) So the Drs have to start all over again...whiich takes forever to find the right combination.

There is nothing EASY about any mental illness..and my humblest of appologies for making it sound as though that is what I believe. :(

Please don't think I took offense to your statement Crash, I was simply explaining is all. After dealing with the issue for so long, I'm pretty settled in my feelings on the subject. I hope some day they'll come up with meds that will not only work, but also have no side effects, the main reason these folks stop using them. There are so many side effects It would take a month to rattle off just the ones my brother went through. But just a few I had the joy of experiencing with my brother, through a couple rounds of meds, were extreme weight gain, extreme weight loss, lethargy, nausea, dizziness, anxiety, loss of bowel control, acne, hair loss, heart rhythm anomalies, insomnia (For days straight), muscle lock, memory loss, heat flashes, convulsions (Foaming at the mouth) Fainting spells, complete loss of mobility in the right side of the body (Rigor? I think it was called).

With side effects like those, I found it pretty easy to understand his want to get off the meds he was on. It's great that the voices in your head go away, but the cost to have that luxury sometimes outweighs the pain you need to go through. If I had a dollar for every time we rushed him to the hospital for yet another issue, I'd have paid my house off twice by now lol. Sometimes they find a med that works for a while, and then back to the same issues.

Hopefully some day there will be a cure.
tweedy
Fledgling

Post by tweedy »

I'm with you, my son went undiagnosed for 10 horrible stressful years, I couldn't get him to go to the doctor, couldn't get anyone to come to our house...my doctor told me that they could help him once there had been a crisis...mental health would only come on an outreach basis if he agreed to it (he didn't) he got help once he had attempted suicide...he was certified and remains certified, given the option to stop his meds he would in an instant.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

tweedy wrote:

I'm with you, my son went undiagnosed for 10 horrible stressful years, I couldn't get him to go to the doctor, couldn't get anyone to come to our house...my doctor told me that they could help him once there had been a crisis...mental health would only come on an outreach basis if he agreed to it (he didn't) he got help once he had attempted suicide...he was certified and remains certified, given the option to stop his meds he would in an instant.

Good point! After it being so long ago, I almost forgot the many years prior to getting a diagnosis for my brother (Not just me personally, but the entire family), dealing with councilors, Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Pediatricians, Doctors, societies, books, lectures, all with a "Try this referral" revolving door of go in this direction now... All of that, In between out breaks, strange behavior, disappearances, School, Jobs.... I don't think stressful even begins to cover, nor explain the ordeal Tweedy. Best of luck in your families struggle, and hopes for a less stressful future for you, and your family.

Cheers!
shalan

Post by shalan »

While many on this thread seem to have compassion for mental illness, the term "wacko" has been used numerous times and that is very offensive. People with mental illnesses have been labelled and stigmatized long enough and referring to people this way only perpetuates society's widely held beliefs about such people.
To the original poster: you can call Mental Health Emergency Services at 212-8533
They can direct you as to what to do about your sister. It sounds like it would be highly unlikely that she would come down to Emerg for an assessment, however, it sounds like that's definetely what she needs. As another poster stated, if she is a danger to herself and others, she can be arrested and held under the mental health act if certified by a physician.
Best of luck to you and your sister.
Crying-Angel
Lord of the Board

Post by Crying-Angel »

shalan wrote:While many on this thread seem to have compassion for mental illness, the term "wacko" has been used numerous times and that is very offensive. People with mental illnesses have been labelled and stigmatized long enough and referring to people this way only perpetuates society's widely held beliefs about such people.To the original poster: you can call Mental Health Emergency Services at 212-8533
They can direct you as to what to do about your sister. It sounds like it would be highly unlikely that she would come down to Emerg for an assessment, however, it sounds like that's definetely what she needs. As another poster stated, if she is a danger to herself and others, she can be arrested and held under the mental health act if certified by a physician.
Best of luck to you and your sister.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!

Even when a Person is at their worst they are still just a person with a disease. There have been so many times over the years when something has gone wrong and I have gone "totally off the wall", but never did I "deserve" to be called a "wacko". Nor does anyone else with a disease.
Sometimes the thoughts in
my head actually get out...

This is rarely a good thing

Return to “Health”