Are they as dangerous as everybody says?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
proud_daddy3
Fledgling

Are they as dangerous as everybody says?

Post by proud_daddy3 »

just wanted some feedback into this ongoing discussion on redbull and rock star energy drinks. are they really as bad for you as people say? anyknown side effects? :7500:
Leafs Fan Forever TML!!! I Bleed Blue & White!
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Re: ARE THEY AS DANGEROUS AS EVERYONE SAYS

Post by AlanH »

proud_daddy3 wrote:just wanted some feedback into this ongoing discussion on redbull and rock star energy drinks. are they really as bad for you as people say? anyknown side effects? :7500:

Anything in excess is bad for you....Period.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

AlanH wrote: Anything in excess is bad for you....Period.

indeed.

so use crack in moderation,

i guess.
Scynite
Board Meister

Post by Scynite »

Read the ingredients on the label, Google Taurine, compare the caffeine amount to an average cup of coffee, and see how much sugar is included, along with any other preservatives that are included, and then you decide.

Remember, the corporations don't care what they feed you, as long as they make money on it. Any product made does have to pass some Food Safety Standard - which is will it kill the person outright if consumed. If the answer is no, even if the food is just a slew of chemicals and shredded cardboard, can be sold. The food just needs to be non-toxic in order to be approved.
Don't get so mad, it's just my opinion.
dandynick5
Guru

Post by dandynick5 »

AlanH wrote:
proud_daddy3 wrote:just wanted some feedback into this ongoing discussion on redbull and rock star energy drinks. are they really as bad for you as people say? anyknown side effects? :7500:

Anything in excess is bad for you....Period.

Very true, as most doctors are saying, at least the ones I talk with. Truth is, we really have no idea how many toxic chemicals are in the prepared foods that we eat. I recently talked with a friend who works at the local creamery. I talked about switching to "lite" salad dressings. He informed me that the chemicals in regular dressing are bad enough, but the amount of extra chemicals that go into dressings to reduce fat content is far higher. Any of these chemicals taken in a high enough concentration would kill you. Better to buy the cream and spices and make your own.
Two years ago Wendy Mesley put together a documentary about her cancer ordeal. She spent a great of time while getting treatment stumping around the country talking to people in the environment, industrial, food and other industries. According to her documentary, most foods and other purchases contain deadly chemicals. But they only contain a trace of this and a trace of that. These individual traces are allowed because they are only measured on an individual basis. But the traces, combined together are responsible for a great deal of our health issues.
I had a co-worker years ago who would drink a Jolt on the way to work in the morning and as the big 32 cup coffee maker just started brewing up, he had his mug under the spigot! As I've never had Redbull, or Monster, I can only assume that it's the same effect?
This signature may be a forgery.
Wallybanger
Fledgling

Post by Wallybanger »

We should ban them. Everyone knows that banning stuff is an effective way to save lives.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free.
-Johann von Goethe
viobach
Fledgling

Post by viobach »

I have never had an energy drink myself, but Im pretty sure there is a warning label on the cans. If I remember corectly it states that you are not to consume more then one can a day, not intended for children and not to mix with alchohol. I would think because there is a warning label, it probably would be a bad thing to consume. I don't remember if it was RockStar or Redbull that had the labeling though. But I think it's better to be safe then sorry....
"It is almost impossible to exaggerate the complete unimportance of almost everything" Unknown
ILLEffect
Board Meister

Post by ILLEffect »

Here is what Health Canada has to say about "Energy Drinks"

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/iyh-vsv/prod/ene ... gie_e.html

The Issue

Excessive drinking of "energy drinks" or mixing them with alcohol can have serious health effects.
Background

There are many "energy drink" products currently sold in Canada. They are available in corner stores, gas stations and bars, usually displayed alongside soft drinks, juices and sports drinks. Some of the brand names include:

* Red Bull Energy Drink;
* Impulse Energy Drink;
* Dark Dog;
* Shark Energy Drink;
* Hype Energy Drink;
* SoBe Adrenaline Rush;
* EAS Piranha Energy Drink;
* AMO Energy Drink;
* Red Rain;
* Red Dragon Energy Drink;
* Diablo Energy Drink; and
* YJ Stinger.

Other brands may be available.

"Energy drinks" are meant to supply mental and physical stimulation for a short period of time. They usually contain caffeine, taurine (an amino acid, one of the building blocks of protein) and glucuronolactone, a carbohydrate.

"Energy drinks" should not be confused with sports drinks such as Gatorade or Powerade, which re-hydrate the body. These sports drinks also provide sugars, which the body burns to create energy and replenish electrolytes. Electrolytes maintain salt and potassium balances in the body.

The problems with "energy drinks" arise when too many are consumed or when they are mixed with alcohol. For example, they have become popular at all-night dance parties, bars and clubs.

People drink them to keep up their energy during periods of intense physical activity or drink them after exercise to quench their thirst. But rather than re-hydrating their bodies, these drinks may actually lead to dehydration.

Because of the effects they have, some "energy drinks" may have to be regulated as natural health products under the Natural Health Product (NHP) Regulations, depending on their ingredients (such as caffeine and vitamins), and the claims they make. Under the regulations, natural health products have to undergo a review process for their quality and safety. They also have to display recommended conditions for use, as well as cautions.

Currently, only Red Bull Energy Drink is authorized for sale as a natural health product and bears a natural health product number (NPN). The safety of other "energy drinks" (including those listed above) have not yet been evaluated under the NHP Regulations.

Four reports of adverse reactions involving "energy drinks" similar to Red Bull Energy Drink, have been reported to Health Canada.
Health Risks of Energy Drinks

In the four reports of adverse reactions involving "energy drinks," symptoms included:

* Electrolyte disturbances;
* Nausea and vomiting; and
* Heart irregularities.

These four incidents involved improper use of "energy drinks," such as drinking them with alcohol or in greater quantities than recommended.

Because of the nature of the adverse reaction reports, it is not possible to tell if the symptoms reported were due to the effect of combining the "energy drink" with alcohol, or due to alcohol itself.
Minimizing Your Risk

If you drink "energy drinks," be aware of the following.

* Red Bull Energy Drink is considered a health product in Canada and should be used according to the label instructions.
* Do not drink excessive amounts of Red Bull Energy Drink. The limit on Red Bull Energy Drink is 500 mL or two cans a day, as indicated on the product label.
* Do not mix Red Bull Energy Drink with alcohol.
* If you engage in intense physical activity or exercise, drink enough water to help re-hydrate your system.
* The safety profiles of other similar "energy drinks" have not been evaluated by Health Canada. It is not wise to drink excessive amounts of any "energy drink" or to mix them with alcohol.
* If you have an adverse reaction to an "energy drink", report it as outlined in the Need More Info? section.

Health Canada's Role

Due to the reported adverse reactions, as well as the media attention surrounding the safety of Red Bull Energy Drink and similar products, Health Canada is monitoring their use and will take appropriate measures to ensure the health and safety of Canadians. This may include regulating other "energy drinks" under the Natural Health Products regulations.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Thanks for that. I think people don't understand that these things can be dangerous,
they sell them next to the water and soft drinks.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
dandynick5
Guru

Post by dandynick5 »

A very informative post. My nephew drinks them a lot and does comment on the effect that they have on him. Not my smartest nephew!
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

I have found, through intensive study on the subject, that mixing Jagermeister with red bull tends to lead to an awful headache in the morning.
dandynick5
Guru

Post by dandynick5 »

AlanH wrote:I have found, through intensive study on the subject, that mixing Jagermeister with red bull tends to lead to an awful headache in the morning.

In what ratio?
signgrrrl
Fledgling

Re: Are they as dangerous as everybody says?

Post by signgrrrl »

Funny though that it is "on tap" at most of the local bars.
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

Re: Are they as dangerous as everybody says?

Post by Struts 'N' Stuff Auto »

Never Mind, $3-$5 for a small can of chemicals, think about that one!
Who in their right mind would buy them?
I pickup a lot of empties in the bush where the mtn bikers ride on the trails up Gillard or Postill, so I guess that explains a small percentage.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

dandynick5 wrote:
AlanH wrote:I have found, through intensive study on the subject, that mixing Jagermeister with red bull tends to lead to an awful headache in the morning.

In what ratio?

I don't remember anything after my 5th... It was a rough night. But to mix them? I usually pop a double shot to a can of red bull. The traditional Jager bomb is one shot... but hey I don't get out too often with my buddies.

Return to “Health”