Are they as dangerous as everybody says?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
amomof2dogs
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: ARE THEY AS DANGEROUS AS EVERYONE SAYS

Post by amomof2dogs »

viobach wrote:I have never had an energy drink myself, but Im pretty sure there is a warning label on the cans. If I remember corectly it states that you are not to consume more then one can a day, not intended for children and not to mix with alchohol. I would think because there is a warning label, it probably would be a bad thing to consume. I don't remember if it was RockStar or Redbull that had the labeling though. But I think it's better to be safe then sorry....

I find that given these specific warnings, most teens who consume energy drinks are doing just the opposite. When these drinks started becoming popular a few years ago, my daughter and two of her friends (they were 13 at the time) drank six energy drinks between them in less than an hour. I was seriously concerned that they had taken some street drug because of how they were behaving. They were strung out and hyper for several hours. I was totally shocked at the affect that these products had on the girls. My kids also tell me that some teens mix energy drinks with hard alcohol, or drink several energy drinks before they start partying so they can stay awake to drink more. Talk about a case of alcohol poisoning just waiting to happen.

I tried one once when I was working night shift and was dropping off at 3:00 am. It tasted ghastly and didn't really do anything for me.
Scynite
Board Meister

Re: Are they as dangerous as everybody says?

Post by Scynite »

I've become aware of how much caffeine I have drank (along with subsequent creams and sugars), and have cut back my coffee to pretty much 1 per week.

After the initial withdrawal period, it sure has made a difference. So now I can enjoy coffee like I used to, feel tired or rejuvenated from a night's rest the natural way, and have probably cut out several pounds of sugar consumption each year to boot (2 tbsp a day adds up X 365).

My friend used to drink these energy drinks every day, maybe twice. I was concerned for him because of the ingredients in these drinks. Sure they'd be fine from time to time, but not on a daily basis. IMO they're even worse thing to rely on than a cup of coffee each morning.
Don't get so mad, it's just my opinion.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Scynite wrote:I've become aware of how much caffeine I have drank (along with subsequent creams and sugars), and have cut back my coffee to pretty much 1 per week.

After the initial withdrawal period, it sure has made a difference. So now I can enjoy coffee like I used to, feel tired or rejuvenated from a night's rest the natural way, and have probably cut out several pounds of sugar consumption each year to boot (2 tbsp a day adds up X 365).

Please stay on topic.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Onestop if you have a problem with Scynite going off topic, please take it to the What's Your Beef Thread.
:138:
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Piecemaker wrote:Onestop if you have a problem with Scynite going off topic, please take it to the What's Your Beef Thread.
:138:

Please stay on topic.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

:smt082
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
tikbor
Fledgling

Post by tikbor »

My brother has been a 'slushie-aholic' (cola flavored) for years (the kids love it when he visits as he is the Slush King & takes them for at least one big one every visit). He has no bone structure left. He drinks milk if he's not drinking a slush, figuring it'll balance out - not happening. He breaks bones regulary for cheezy reasons (slipping on whatever...) and has been diagnosed with osteoporosis. He is 48 (now - the diagnosis was a couple of years ago) and has shrunk over an inch over the last few years. Chemicals & caffiene are not good for you; as a treat - okay, on a regular basis - not so good. I like Vex coolers but have 're-thunk' them in light of the whole chemical/fizz thing; might have to switch back to Cptn Morgans Spiced Rum & lemonade...
proud_daddy3
Fledgling

Post by proud_daddy3 »

just a update. i was, up until today, drinking 2-3 energy drinks, but am trying to go without any of them today. see how it goes. will keep ya all posted. plus i only got 4 hours of sleep last night. should be fun. :2545:
Leafs Fan Forever TML!!! I Bleed Blue & White!

Return to “Health”