Post pregnancy exercise

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post pregnancy exercise

Post by JLives »

Well I'm at the 6 week mark from my C section and can now start doing some excercising. I don't want to do too much too soon as I did just have 2 surgeries. Aside from the obvious like swimming and walking what are some things I can do to start getting in bikini shape? The wieght loss is going good, 8 pounds to get to my pre pregnancy wieght so I'm not too worried about that part.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Re: Post pregnancy excercise

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

jennylives wrote: Aside from the obvious like swimming and walking what are some things I can do to start getting in bikini shape?

What's a bikini? :dyinglaughing:

How about some simple in home toning? No need to buy weights, just use two 4 litre milk jugs. Rince them out and partially fill with water to start. Standing with legs shoulder width apart, arms down at sides holding jugs, slowwwwwwly raise arms to shoulder height, hold for a few seconds, then slowly lower. When that gets easy, just fill the jug up to the top. When you're finished with the water, just empty into your plants.

Pop baby into the stroller and do some power walking around the neighbourhood. You get exercise and baby gets fresh air and sleeps great.

Meanwhile, as I sit on my butt, drinking my international coffee and nibbling on some chocolate covered almonds, I'll think up some more moves for ya! :discodance:

~D
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:
jennylives wrote: Aside from the obvious like swimming and walking what are some things I can do to start getting in bikini shape?

What's a bikini? :dyinglaughing:
~D

Lucky girl! Pick up a balance board (helps with core muscles) and use the stairs and skipping rope. The jugs are a great idea. I put a lot of mileage on our stroller and only wish I bought one with the 3 wheels instead of 4.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

After my abdominal surgeries I started lifting 10lb potato bags to shoulder height and holding for 10 seconds.
That was 2 years ago and I am now holding them for 3 mins.

One of these days I will start putting some potato's in the bags!!! :dyinglaughing:
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

I can only give you advice from a guy's perspective... It involves an intense exercise regime of pulling, pushing, twisting and lifting, as well as some running, and walking for the pro's.

1) Pull- handle on Easy Boy.
2) Push- on button on the TV remote.
3) Twist- cap off of beer.
4) Lift- beer bottle to mouth, repeat a couple times.
5) Repeat step's 3&4 until you pass out.
**Bonus** for Extreme fitness pros.
6) At times running to the washroom may be required, as well as short walks to the fridge for snacks.

**Additional steps involving scratching, and release in bursts air from both the mouth, and trouser areas are considered extra effort. These are commonly referred to as Farting and burping.

Congrats on the new Joy there Jenny! Glad to hear you're healing up well.

Cheers!
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Alan, you are such a....a...a....

GUY!! *burp*.....'scuse me.

:130:

~D
ILLEffect
Board Meister

Post by ILLEffect »

After my second section a friend of mine recommended pilates. It helps with core stabilization. There are c-section specific exercises as well in pilates that help tone and strengthen the muscle cut during the section. Also, "Baby Om: Yoga for Mothers & Babies" (book) has a whole section on post c-section yoga exercises that you can do with baby.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Yoga sounds interesting but I don't have the extra cash for classes right now. I wondr if I can find something online. Here's me yesterday.

"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
ILLEffect
Board Meister

Post by ILLEffect »

Dang girl! You look fantastic! I did way too much too early on in the recovery period which weakened the muscle (I gave it no time to rest - starting with driving myself home 36 hours after my own section!). However, these yoga exercises have helped. They take a bit to learn, but once you get the hang of it, it's a breeze:

Downward-Facing Dog Pose: Start on the floor on your hands and knees. With your hands at shoulder width, spread out your fingers, distributing your weight evenly through your hands. Spread your feet apart (about hip width), tuck your toes under and forward, and arch your hips towards the ceiling. Keep your back, shoulders, and head aligned while extending your hips back. This energizing position stretches the spine, the legs, and the entire body; it also eases mild depression.

Triangle Pose: Stand with your feet about five feet apart and turn your right foot so that it is perpendicular to your left (the front heel should align with the back foot). Reach both arms out at shoulder height to your sides and extend your torso sideways over your right leg while keeping your hips facing forward. Place your right hand just above your ankle and extend your left hand straight up to the ceiling (look up toward your left hand). Repeat on the other side. This side bend pose helps reestablish the pelvic floor and regain leg strength.

The Son of Brahma Pose: Sit with your legs extended on the floor in front of you. Draw one leg back toward your pelvis and plant your foot on the floor. Reach your arm around your torso, around your vertical shin, and latch onto the fingers or wrist of your other hand. Draw in a breath and with the exhalation, lean forward over your extended leg. The Son of Brahma Pose stimulates the abdominal organs and relieves mild back and hip pain.

Cobra: Lie with your stomach to the floor, your toes extended, and your palms flat and planted at shoulder width. Press your thighs and pelvis into the floor and inhale, pressing your palms into the floor and extending your arms. Extend and distribute the bend evenly throughout your back. Cobra opens the upper back and chest, and strengthens the lower back, inner thighs, and pelvic floor; it also helps relieve stress and fatigue.

Legs-Up-the-Wall Pose: Place a pillow or folded blanket approximately five inches from the wall (experiment to find the best placement for your comfort). Sit sideways on the end of the support with your side against the wall. Exhale and slowly swing your legs up the wall and your shoulders and head down onto the floor (this may take some practice). This restorative posture is good for circulation and the repositioning of the uterus; it also can relieve leg cramps and mild backache.

Also, I found this that you might like:

Focus on the Abdominals

Many new mothers complain about that post-baby belly. Unfortunately, abdominal muscles often don't just snap back into shape, and most of the time, it takes more than a little coaxing before you can slip comfortably back into those pre-baby jeans. You'll need to retrain these muscles and work on knitting them back together, as well as strengthen your lower back and pelvic floor.

Perron suggests the following three postures, safe even for mothers recovering from C-sections, to rebuild core strength and work on strengthening soft abdominal muscles.

# Modified Boat Pose (Navasana): Sit on the floor with your legs straight in front of you. Grasp your outer thighs (right hand to right thigh, left hand to left thigh) and lift your chest. Keeping your abdominal muscles active, raise your feet just off the floor while keeping your back straight. Tilt back slightly. If you feel strong and are looking for a more challenging posture, try lifting your shins until they are parallel to the floor and reach your hands out straight towards your feet. Boat Pose helps in digestion, strengthens the abdominal muscles, and reduces stress.

# Locust Pose (Salambasana): Lie down on your belly with your hands palm up at your sides and your toes pointed. Exhale and lift your head, arms, and legs off the floor (so that you balance on your belly). Locust Pose improves posture and strengthens the back, belly, and shoulders. It also stimulates the abdominal organs.

# Plank Pose: Lie stomach-down on the floor with your hands just below your shoulders, your elbows bent, and your fingers spread and pointing forwards. Lift your body up off the ground (much like you would when beginning push-ups). Keep your spine straight (from the tip of your head to the balls of your feet), and hold as long as you can. (To modify this pose, prop yourself up on your elbows rather than your hands and leave your knees and shins on the floor.) This position will tone your abdominals while also strengthening your arms and back.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Post pregnancy exercise

Post by Catz »

OMG, you look amazing!

Good for you.

Me and spandex :coffeecanuck: :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing:

Bikini??? :hailjo:

Not unless I am looking for dental floss.

Return to “Health”