Losing weight

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
proud_daddy3
Fledgling

Losing weight

Post by proud_daddy3 »

anyone have sure ways to loose some weight healthy?
Leafs Fan Forever TML!!! I Bleed Blue & White!
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Re: Losing weight

Post by eyepop »

don't watch hockey,
play hockey.

Lord of the Board

Post by hotchip99 »

eyepop wrote:don't watch hockey,
play hockey.

...just quotin ya in case it gets deleted!
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

One thing that never changes though, is that no seating surface on the face of the planet promotes weight loss! However, finding oneself a nice big hill to walk up and down 6x a week is the simplest starting point. If a person feels he/she does not have enough time, turn off the TV/PC/game system and see how much time he/she has been wasting. Also, if one parks at the far end of the parking lot whenever possible, it will add a lot more exercise to the day.

Each person's nutritional needs will be different, changing even with the point in his/her life. Prepackaged, processed, and fast food are nutritionally devoid, so if you are the preparer of your own meals, you are totally in control of what goes into each and every meal, not some big corporation out to make profits. Eastern foods are a great place to start, all the vegetables and spices used in stir frys and Indian food... amazing.

35 lbs down since June, and that's just from walking and eating ethnic foods.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

kccayenne wrote:..and eating ethnic foods.

yeal

that include scrunchions and cod tongues?
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

eyepop wrote:
kccayenne wrote:..and eating ethnic foods.

yeal

that include scrunchions and cod tongues?

*shudders* uhhh no, Indian food and Thai stir frys from scratch, i,e. no sugary sauces from a bottle.

It also helps that I have a very handsome and encouraging walking/hiking partner.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

You should watch the sodium content of those sauces and all foods. Bad for the heart and kidneys!
It makes you retain water too, so cutting back on the salt helps lose water weight.
8lbs in 2 weeks.
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

bsuds wrote:You should watch the sodium content of those sauces and all foods. Bad for the heart and kidneys!
It makes you retain water too, so cutting back on the salt helps lose water weight.
8lbs in 2 weeks.

Making them all from scratch without adding salt has taken the question of sodium out of the equation. I also use yogurt in lieu of coconut milk. Our North American bastardization of everything loads sauces up with sugars and salt. I guess too that it's never, ever been a habit of mine to add salt to anything I eat either. Oh yeah, and not a processed white grain in this house! No white bread, no white flour, no white rice.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

kccayenne wrote:
bsuds wrote:You should watch the sodium content of those sauces and all foods. Bad for the heart and kidneys!
8lbs in 2 weeks.

Making them all from scratch without adding salt has taken the question of sodium out of the equation. I also use yogurt in lieu of coconut milk. Our North American bastardization of everything loads sauces up with sugars and salt. I guess too that it's never, ever been a habit of mine to add salt to anything I eat either. Oh yeah, and not a processed white grain in this house! No white bread, no white flour, no white rice.

Good for you! White grains make my blood sugars jump!

ps what time is dinner! :dyinglaughing:
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

Weight Watchers
ami2much4u
Board Meister

Post by ami2much4u »

I've never had the need to diet, but have watched the weight of others and the best sure-fire way to lose weight is walking or swimming. If you do it in the morning, it can keep your metabolism up there for most of the day. Load up on fruits and vegetables, instead of reaching for an unhealthy snack, reach for those. Watch what you eat, low fat, no sugar, as much as possible. And when you have a craving, reach for water or something low cal (sometimes we mix being thirsty with being hungry). It's nice also to pick a day of the week (I'm going to get shot for this one), and that is the day where you are allowed to eat a treat of your liking, but within reason. Like Fridays, you get a dessert. And if you really crave something, it's better to have a little, than starving yourself and then throwing your diet away and in a moment of weakness, eat it all! Tell yourself you can eat everything, and then you can decide what you don't want to in order to lose weight, if you think you can't eat, then it will make you want to even more. Good Luck.
broadspectrum

Post by broadspectrum »

Stress and the flu! That's how I dropped my last 20 pounds.
In my lower stress years I had great success with Weight Watchers. I don't follow the program now but I think I make better food choices because it is always in the back of my mind. I like to eat so I've learned to make a lot of low fat snacks and meals and only eat fruit and vegetables after supper or unbuttered popcorn. I've never been able to work out in the morning which I hear is the best but when I go to the gym even a couple of days a week I am much less hungry and full of energy. When I feel good I am much more motivated to eat healty and keep that feeling.
ami2much4u
Board Meister

Post by ami2much4u »

Dread Pirate Roberts wrote:Stress and the flu! That's how I dropped my last 20 pounds.
In my lower stress years I had great success with Weight Watchers. I don't follow the program now but I think I make better food choices because it is always in the back of my mind. I like to eat so I've learned to make a lot of low fat snacks and meals and only eat fruit and vegetables after supper or unbuttered popcorn. I've never been able to work out in the morning which I hear is the best but when I go to the gym even a couple of days a week I am much less hungry and full of energy. When I feel good I am much more motivated to eat healty and keep that feeling.
Right on!
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

simple...eat regular meals at meal times... DONT eat after 6pm not even a tictac! :-)
mrj222
Übergod

Post by mrj222 »

Read every piece of health information on everything you put in your body and plan your meals accordingly. If you eat 4 meals a day try and keep your intake of X nutrient/fat below 1/4 of your recommended intake, if you eat 2 meals a day keep it below half.

Eating more meals and not eating 3-5 hrs before bed is obviously better than eating 2 large meals a day but do what you can. This is my "new" diet plan as of last year and I've lost about 100 pounds and am still losing fat.

In spite of what people tell you exercise is not the (only) key to losing weight your diet is. All exercise does is help you burn off more calories which is helpful unless your gorge after going to the gym/walking etc.

Oh and remember, this is not a "diet" its a life change, if you lose all the weight and go back to your old habits you will get fat again.

Good luck.
We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Return to “Health”