Medical Malpractice

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
peteykat
Fledgling

Re: Medical Malpractice

Post by peteykat »

Triple 6 wrote:Peteykat- Fingers crossed that all turns out well!

Thanks!
ami2much4u
Board Meister

Post by ami2much4u »

peteykat wrote:Last month I received a call from my previous doctor. A pathologist is now being under review for his performance on the job. All biopsies from 1998 - 2007 are being retested. I am one of up to 30, 000 cases being reviewed.

It is really scary how this one man, whom we all trusted to do his job has now put fear into the back of eveyones heads. How many people had cancer treated when they may not of had it, or died because the earliest detection wasn't detected.

Not once will I ever blame my previous doctor. She was an amazing. However, I will (and do have a little right now) have great ill will for the pathologist. Especially if results come back with a scary amount of errors.

I would be scared too, hope everthing turns out okay!
ami2much4u
Board Meister

Post by ami2much4u »

Mama wrote:
ami2much4u wrote:It just doesn't sound right, that's all, would you trust this doctor?

Depends on how well I know him before that.
And remember, you are the kids mother, who sees him everyday and YOU made the mistake for a min or two, maybe he suffered from the same thing you did. You didnt dispute the fact in the office because he is the "Doctor" He didnt think it could be dirt, because you are the "Mother" and if the kid smells all nice and clean from the shower, how is the Doc going to know that its dirt.
You assumed he would know the difference, and He assumed you would have a clean kid.
I would just call it "Humans in an office" until you know more. Malpractice is a VERY strong word.

Malpractice, was the title because of the 108 women that died. I know my situation is not nearly as serious, but it is similiar in the sense that it is a misdiagnosis. You trust that the people in the health field know what they are doing. To find out differently, could be in my case minor, or in their case, major.
Ali Gator
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ali Gator »

Beginning of February I went to the walkin as I was having severe stomach pain and was passing a lot of blood when I went to the washroom. The doctor never looked at my stomach or examined me in anyway and said that I had food poisoning and to slowly start eating blande food. I said I was concerned about all the blood and his answer was people always jump to conclusions and went on to explain he sees people that are worried about a spot on their skin being cancer. I actually flelt like a fool.
I phoned to make a appointment with my family doctor and it took over a week to get in. Turns out my appendix had ruptured but luckily my body had built some sort of a wall around the infection. I ended up in the hospital for over a week and am now off work for 8 weeks. The specilist that did the surgery said that the doctor at the walkin would of realized something was wrong if he had checked my stomach, done a blood test or taken my temp.
I hind sight I should of gone to another walkin. I now am a total beliver of getting a second opinion!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Dutchie! told us about this. how horrible for you. how are you feeling now? much better i bet! :)
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Ali Gator
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ali Gator »

Much better but I was so ill. The surgery ended up being a big production because the appendix had burst. So nice to be home again! And my husband ordered me a new puppy while I was in the hospital so I am really enjoying and bonding with her while I am off work.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

you're very lucky your body was able to protect itself. so glad you are okay. :D
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
anniecat
Übergod

Post by anniecat »

Wow, worriedmom I am so glad you are on the mend. How horrible a situation to go through....especially one that could have been made a whole lot better if the doctor had actually examined you like they're supposed to do.

You know, we need to be better at trusting our intuition. I think all people (especially women and moms in particular!) have an amazing sense of that "gut feeling" when something isn't right and we need to trust that feeling and act on it. It's hard when you've put your trust in a doctor who is supposed to do right and whom you trust is going to do their job as they have been taught to do.

I know "mistakes" can be made as doctors are human and what person has not made a mistake at work.....but you can't tell me that in worriedmom's case that the first doctor who didn't even examine her stomach wasn't plain neglectful. Trust your intuition!.....if an examination or diagnosis doesn't feel right in "your gut" then seek a second opinion. Thank you worriedmom for sharing your story and I'm so glad your feeling better and having a nice time bonding with your new pup!
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
- Dr. Seus -
Mama
Lord of the Board

Post by Mama »

Yikes, Worried Mom, so glad you are Ok!

And that brings me to my next thought for 2much, I agree with Piecemaker`s post.

And if I was not 100% sure of my Doc, I would get a second opinion on any serious issues.
I had to go through several Doctors when I first moved from my home town. If I didnt get the feeling that he was a good guy, that actually listened to what I was saying, then I made an appointment with another. I am very happy with my Doc now, and that is an amazing feeling when things are not good.

You are lucky to have such a good Doc Peteykat, I am sending you positive thoughts!!
ami2much4u
Board Meister

Post by ami2much4u »

Thanks everyone, for making me feel a little better about the situation. I did get a second opinion the last time. I did have the second doctor phone the first and I faxed the first, to let him know that he misdiagnosed the pigmentation. Since I don't think there are any better qualified doctor's in town, I will continue to see this doctor, but in the meantime, I am going to phone around and look around to make sure that my son's are getting the best care possible.
Any doctor's reading this: advice, never brush a patient's questions off as "irrevelant", as patients need their fears alleviated, and deserve to be heard. When a patient is scared to ask questions, the system fails itself.

God Bless all those that have suffered, some of them, tragic consequences, from being misdiagnosed.
Gordian Knot
Übergod

Post by Gordian Knot »

I think anyone has the right to find a second opionion of they have doubts. I trust in human instinct and intuition. If you feel something is wrong and your first doctor didn't address it satisfactorily, go see another doctor.

I'm glad you're okay worried mom, that's a scary thing to happen!!!
A baby is something you carry inside you for nine months, in your arms for three years and in your heart till the day you die.
-- Mary Mason
Shears82

Post by Shears82 »

there are a lot of different cases about this huh? I think this is a pattern , but i guess insurance comes into play on this huh? but there should be some more several tests and supervision to avoid all these....
Kwik

Post by Kwik »

Is the Pathologist under review from the Kelowna area?
ami2much4u
Board Meister

Post by ami2much4u »

I was just reading about what happened to the actor, Dennis Quaid, and the overdose of heparin given to his children in the hospital. He mentioned that the U.S. has a website that lists all incidents like these, etc. I wonder if Canada has something like that, if they don't they should.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Above all else, Doctors are human, so yes they make mistakes. It's unfortunate to have a Doctor that you don't have confidence in and I would say switch for this reason. That being said, it's no longer easy to simply switch Doctors with the Doctor shortage.

~D

Return to “Health”