Super Dry Skin

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
ILLEffect
Board Meister

Super Dry Skin

Post by ILLEffect »

My husband works at a job where he's constantly washing his hands. They've become SO dry (particularly on the knuckles) that the cracks in his hands have began bleeding. He tried one of my "girlie" lotions (as he calls them), but since they all contain fragrance, it stings a lot when he uses it. I want to buy him a few sample sized lotions (for at work) and a full sized lotion (for at home) - fragrance free of course. Anyone have any good hand lotions that they use for severely dry/cracked skin?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Super Dry Skin

Post by ferri »

Life Extra Strength Skin Lotion. or just about any store brand won't be loaded with perfume. don't be shy. take the lid off and sniff it. i do. :lol:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

A number of them are labeled fragrance free.
"Let there be smoke." And there was smoke. And it was gooooooood.
westsidemom
Board Meister

Post by westsidemom »

Glaxol Base is what pharmacists use as a base cream to add medicinal ingredients to and is a good alternative to perfumed creams.
Ignorance is curable; stupidity is not...
ILLEffect
Board Meister

Post by ILLEffect »

Thanks everyone! Someone had suggested Glysocol (sp?) - in the green tubes - so we bought that tonight for him to use while he's at work after washing his hands. Then I bought some special heel cream that is supposed to soften the "toughest of heels" to use twice a day (as per label). His hands are pretty bad, he's in a lot of pain, so we'll see how it works!
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

An aloe vera moisturing cream would be great for his hands. Or if you have an aloe vera plant you don't mind using, try that.
"Let there be smoke." And there was smoke. And it was gooooooood.
eyesee

Post by eyesee »

Many work and some work better at different times:
Gold Bond Ultimate is probably my favorite right now but others I like are:
Dream Cream
Lubriderm from J&J
Shea butter from L'occitaine in the Mall
Good luck!
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

I swear by Glysomed.

My mother used to have hands that got so dry that her fingers would split open right from her nail down to halfway through the pads of her fingers. She tried numerous products, and eventually found this one. It was the only one that worked for her.

Get the kind that comes in the flat round container. It comes in the regular plastic-hand-lotion-squeeze-bottle too, but that flat round container works much better.

A good trick is to load it on at night, and then go to sleep with rubber gloves on. Other gloves will work too, if he doesn't want to risk developing a latex allergy.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

When I am working with my hands in cold water a lot they get very dry and cracked. I use Watkins Petro-Carbo Salve. it is the greatest for hands like you describe your husband has ILLEffect. Once the chap and cracks have healed I then go to a "girly" hand lotion. Just find a Watkins dealer and they will have it.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
banani
Fledgling

Post by banani »

I have St. Ives - Aloe Vera - Advanced Therapy Formula.. it works pretty good.

My dad uses some brand of Vaseline hand lotion.. it works really well.

Return to “Health”