Beaver Fever?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
ILLEffect
Board Meister

Beaver Fever?

Post by ILLEffect »

Anyone else hear that there's Beaver Fever in the Rutland water? I called my vet today because I got sick last week and my Dr and I were concerned that it was possibly salmonella from my pet snake. The vet tech told me that there is beaver fever in the Rutland water? Was that what the boil water advisory was for? If it is beaver fever, how long does it last? I've been sick about a weekish (and I actually only started drinking tap water a week ago when I got Crystal Lite to flavour it, before that I only drank bottled water, so the symptoms fit the time frame for beaver fever).
Bubalouie
Guru

Re: Beaver Fever?

Post by Bubalouie »

There are two different water sources in Rutland. I believe it is Black Mountain Irrigation that has the boil water advisery right now. Haven't heard anything about Rutland Waterworks yet...
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

ankle better?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

here's a page all about the infection:
http://www.bchealthguide.org/healthfiles/hfile10.stm

and this is to look up water quality in your area:
http://www.kjwc.org/register.php
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
ILLEffect
Board Meister

Post by ILLEffect »

Thanks guys! Yes eyepop, the ankle is feeling much better. Still a little "grindy" when I get up in the morning, but otherwise feeling fine.

I spoke with Interior Health this afternoon regarding my concern about Beaver Fever in the Rutland area and they put me in touch with a water inspector for the area. I'll post when I hear from him - he may come out to test the water or he may know if there's anything to be concerned about...
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Damn! Why did this have to be about water?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

zzontar wrote:Damn! Why did this have to be about water?

:coffeecanuck:
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Triple 6 wrote:
zzontar wrote:Damn! Why did this have to be about water?

:coffeecanuck:

Maybe the beavers are munchin on too much wood? :runforlife:
tawnylee
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by tawnylee »

A friend of mine had beaver fever for quite sometime before his dr figured it out. His liver was operating at a very high level, and he was in alot of stomach pain.
It's simple bloodwork that can tell you if you've got it or not, it may be worth it to get into your dr so you can find out in the next day!
Good luck!
“When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.”
~Harriet Beecher Stowe
ILLEffect
Board Meister

Post by ILLEffect »

The water inspector got in touch with me this morning and told me that there is NOT beaver fever in the water supply. However, that being said, he gave me the website to go to to find out what water supply we are on (http://www.kjwc.org/) and it turns out we are on the Black Mountain water supply and thus under a boil water advisory.
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

When I first moved to Canada a neighbor of mine briefly mentioned beaver fever and I thought it was something completely different lol. I had no idea it was a real sickness.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

JonyDarko wrote:When I first moved to Canada a neighbor of mine briefly mentioned beaver fever and I thought it was something completely different lol. I had no idea it was a real sickness.

Were you thinking it was some form of VD? Something loggers caught while away too long up north? :sillygrin:

Return to “Health”