Peanut Allergies

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Smuckers
Board Meister

Peanut Allergies

Post by Smuckers »

My child has had a number of friends/other children in her school (both pre-school and elementary) that have peanut allergies. I don't remember anyone that I knew growing up with this type of allergy. I have wondered if there is a reason it is more prevelant now than when I was younger. Has anyone read any type of study regarding allergies to peanuts?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Peanut Allergies

Post by Fancy »

The prevalence of peanut allergies has doubled in the 5 years from 1997 to 2002 according to research reported in the December 2003 JACI, and researchers don’t really know why.

http://www.allergicchild.com/peanut_allergy.htm
I never knew of one person through school that was allergic to peanuts and only knew one person with severe asthma compared to today. It really is shocking.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
anniecat
Übergod

Post by anniecat »

Isn't it crazy?? I never knew anyone either that was allergic to peanuts. I worked in a class of grade 2's for a month and there were at least 3 kids just in that class that had allergies to nuts (of different kinds). Really makes you wonder what's going on.

I grew up in the school cafeteria eating my peanut butter and jam sandwiches. To think my boys, who also adore peanut butter and jam sandwiches, won't be able to take any to school when they start is heartbreaking!! Guess I better stock up on tuna.
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
- Dr. Seus -
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

I am severely allergic to peanuts. And only peanuts. My Uncle was, I am, and my three your old nephew is.

We all carry epi-pens (mine are expired) I was diagnosed when I was 13. Growing up, we never has peanutbutter in our house (that's a whole other story) so I never knew.
I remember in school getting itchy, and welts across my neck and face, but the Doctor's had passed it off as grass, hay etc...

Finally having a severe reaction, to where my tongue tripled in size, they figured it out.

I can smell the stuff a mile away. It makes me itchy just smelling it. My nephew is exactly the same.

I was the only one in my class growing up.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Smuckers
Board Meister

Post by Smuckers »

Fancy, thanks for the link. The little boy my daughter has in her class is not even allowed to go on field trips in the event that he comes in contact with peanuts. Poor Kid!
Well Trained Mind

Post by Well Trained Mind »

My son is severely allergic to peanuts (he's 10). We had to have blood work done before starting Kindergarten to detect severity. We knew he was allergic before then, but we didn't know how severe until we had bloodwork done and the school needed physician documentation.

I've read a theory that the rise in peanut allergies in North America is a result of the processing of the nuts. Most peanuts used in our food products are roasted, which may alter the peanut protein into a more allergy triggering substance, as opposed to nuts processed in Asia. They tend to boil their peanuts and they don't seem to have as many peanut allergies as we do.

Personally, I think our bodies are exposed to so many toxins in our environment that our population is more predisposed to allergies of any kind. When I was in school (30 years ago) a food allegy was unheard of. I also never knew a child who suffered from severe seasonal allergies. Now, it seems much more common place.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

You should have read the link I posted Well Trained Mind, it states you what you just said about the roasting.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Triple 6 wrote:I am severely allergic to peanuts. And only peanuts. My Uncle was, I am, and my three your old nephew is.

We all carry epi-pens (mine are expired)

GET A NEW EPI-PEN!!!! :smt075

(Pretend I'm your mother and listen to me for once!) :133:
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I think the reason kids have more ailments and allergies is the fact that the food they ingest consists of a lot of chemicals, and not much food value... maybe some Eggo's or sugar cereal for breakfast, pizza pops for lunch, chips to snack on between meals, throw something in the microwave (which destroys most of the food value) for supper or pick up some fast food... it's amazing how the human body can run on chemicals and MSG, but like in "Supersize This," that can only go on so long before the bad effects start to show. It's sad that a lot of kids have to eat the same food as seagulls, or maybe it's sad that seagulls have to eat the junk that we throw out.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
galleria.furniture

Post by galleria.furniture »

i think this is crazy as well i dont remember anyone getting sick from a peanut butter sandwich when i went to school
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Piecemaker wrote:
Triple 6 wrote:I am severely allergic to peanuts. And only peanuts. My Uncle was, I am, and my three your old nephew is.

Thanks Ma, Can I borrow a hundred bucks?
:dyinglaughing:
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Well Trained Mind

Post by Well Trained Mind »

If you have Extended Health Care, ask your family physician to prescribe the EpiPens for you, then your extended health will cover a portion.

It's very expensive, we have to buy 2 every year (one for my son to carry around, one back up that I keep with me). But, it's well worth the cost. Our ped also advised us to treat a reaction with the EpiPen first, followed by a dose of Benadryl and a Ventalin Inhaler to buy us more time to get to the hospital.

Scary stuff, that's for sure.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Triple 6 wrote:
Piecemaker wrote:

Thanks Ma, Can I borrow a hundred bucks?
:dyinglaughing:

I'd lend it to you, but then you'd say that I'm treating you like a kid and I don't let you live your own life and that I don't treat you like a responsible adult. (blah, blah, blah) Then there's the inheritance issues. Your siblings will say I need to deduct the $100 off your share because we all know you won't pay it back. Let's go have a Peanut-Buster Parfait and chat about it, shall we dear daughter?
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Piecemaker wrote:I'd lend it to you, but then you'd say that I'm treating you like a kid and I don't let you live your own life and that I don't treat you like a responsible adult. (blah, blah, blah) Then there's the inheritance issues. Your siblings will say I need to deduct the $100 off your share because we all know you won't pay it back. Let's go have a Peanut-Buster Parfait and chat about it, shall we dear daughter?

Of course... I don't really like peanut buster parfaits... Not sure why!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i got this link from a friend today and thought i would share (i can be nice!) cool site! :)

http://allergicliving.com/
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Health”