Genetic Engineering.. Miracle cure or super race?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
eMeM
Übergod

Genetic Engineering.. Miracle cure or super race?

Post by eMeM »

The topic name may be a broad sweep with the brush but after reading this recent article I had to wonder....
I'll keep my personal opinion out of it for now, just curious what everyone else thinks.
This topic has been debated and discussed for decades, now something has actually been done. Is this the answer to genetic problems or is it the beginning of something potentially much more sinister?

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... ld&s_name=

This should be interesting.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
anniecat
Übergod

Re: Genetic Engineering.. Miracle cure or super race?

Post by anniecat »

Great topic MM34. I read this article and it brought up a lot of mixed feelings. At first I thought it was great, perhaps a woman who has a history of losing generations of women in her family from breast cancer can now have a daughter that she knows will be breast cancer free.

Then, in my gut it didn't feel right....aren't we playing God? Deciding who should get disease and who shall potentially suffer from disease? How is it decided which babies will be genetically engineered? Will it become available to those with money so only those fortunate to have big bank accounts will be guaranteed to have genetically engineered children? Where do we draw the line?

My thoughts on this now is that there are too many unanswered ethical questions and it just doesn't feel right. I don't think enough thought has been given to the consequences of this.

I'm really anxious to hear what others have to say on this one.
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
- Dr. Seus -
toru_msb
Fledgling

Re: Genetic Engineering.. Miracle cure or super race?

Post by toru_msb »

anniecat wrote:Then, in my gut it didn't feel right....aren't we playing God?

No. I don't think anything is being created here.

anniecat wrote:Deciding who should get disease and who shall potentially suffer from disease?

Who is deciding that someone should suffer? I don't think anyone is saying, "We could snip that gene out of your baby, but we won't. Ha ha!"

anniecat wrote:How is it decided which babies will be genetically engineered? Will it become available to those with money so only those fortunate to have big bank accounts will be guaranteed to have genetically engineered children? Where do we draw the line?

I see the basic genetic fixes available to all similar to vaccinations, either paid through universal healthcare or private insurance.

anniecat wrote:My thoughts on this now is that there are too many unanswered ethical questions and it just doesn't feel right. I don't think enough thought has been given to the consequences of this.

I'm really anxious to hear what others have to say on this one.

I think the greatest danger is not creating superhumans, but damaging people because the interactions of selectively slicing genes aren't necessarily known.

Return to “Health”